Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 02:08 AM

39 posts, read 26,084 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This is my 2 thread on this forum. I will be moving to NJ by the end of the year from central Europe. After lot of internet research and short trip to US we have a list of 3 potential places to live (Summit, Chatham or Ridgewood).

Apart from being a business coach/trainer I am also a painter (I've been painting for couple years). I would like to develop my skills and art career in US.
I do not have formal art education, however I have attended painting courses in Europe for last 3 years.

Any tips, suggestions about organisations, art communities I should join ?
Do you have any Idea where I could search for renting cheap art studios in the area ?
Any other things I should know about ?

All your tips and suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 07:04 AM

88,581 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makono View Post
Hello,

This is my 2 thread on this forum. I will be moving to NJ by the end of the year from central Europe. After lot of internet research and short trip to US we have a list of 3 potential places to live (Summit, Chatham or Ridgewood).

Apart from being a business coach/trainer I am also a painter (I've been painting for couple years). I would like to develop my skills and art career in US.
I do not have formal art education, however I have attended painting courses in Europe for last 3 years.

Do you have any Idea where I could search for renting cheap art studios in the area ?

Thanks
I know the Ridgewood area best. Here is one resource.

https://www.ridgewoodartinstitute.org/

Not sure about renting studios or even what the requirements for that are.

However, once you are linked with the art community, I'm sure those you meet would be a resource for finding out what others do as far as studio space

Old 10-15-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know the Ridgewood area best. Here is one resource.

https://www.ridgewoodartinstitute.org/

Not sure about renting studios or even what the requirements for that are.

However, once you are linked with the art community, I'm sure those you meet would be a resource for finding out what others do as far as studio space
Thanks for the link

Old 10-15-2019, 10:12 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
"Art" and "Career" are 2 terms that rarely go together, especially in a state as expensive as NJ. And you mentioned that you don't even have formal art training. The only real viable career for artists around here is teaching, which means you would need to go back to school to obtain a teaching certification, in addition to the formal art degree. And even then, teaching jobs are very difficult to obtain unless you know someone.

Have you really thought this through?

Old 10-15-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
"Art" and "Career" are 2 terms that rarely go together, especially in a state as expensive as NJ. And you mentioned that you don't even have formal art training. The only real viable career for artists around here is teaching, which means you would need to go back to school to obtain a teaching certification, in addition to the formal art degree. And even then, teaching jobs are very difficult to obtain unless you know someone.

Have you really thought this through?
Hi,

Good to know. Thanks. Well, maybe "career" is not the right word, to describe what I am interested in. What I have in mind is continue painting, developing my skills and trying to exhibit (I am open to different venues) and sell my works. As I have mentioned I hope to have my other day job (part time), so there is no big pressure to earn a lot of money from my art. Do you think my plan is doable without formal art education or having an art degree is a must ?

Old 10-15-2019, 11:59 AM

88,581 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Hi,

Good to know. Thanks. Well, maybe "career" is not the right word, to describe what I am interested in. What I have in mind is continue painting, developing my skills and trying to exhibit (I am open to different venues) and sell my works. As I have mentioned I hope to have my other day job (part time), so there is no big pressure to earn a lot of money from my art. Do you think my plan is doable without formal art education or having an art degree is a must ?
Yes. There are obviously many, many artists, the majority of whom will never make a living with their art, but who will pursue their art for its own sake. There are a lot of artists with advanced degrees in that same category, and there are artists like you painting right next to them. I don't know how much art can be taught.

I paint like an 8-year-old. I went to one of those "paint-and-wine" nights and produced a painting that looks as if it was done by a 10-year-old. Progress!

BUT--the artist who came up with the fun night out idea now owns a chain of such places, so THEY made a career out of it, just in a different way.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:37 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
Cheap art studios in those areas are going to be difficult, not because there's no art or that artists can't support themselves, but mostly because the costs per square foot for ANY kind of space are high. So you might need to drive a town over and find yourself some room, like Madison or . Depending on your subject matter, getting an extra bedroom in the house is probably the least expensive way to go about it.

That said, the main thrust you might have noticed from everyone here is that "it's impossible!" but the better way to say it is "it's difficult." Most of it has to do with a series of different costs in comparison to Europe. Health care, public transit, and a lack of government art grants are the major things you'll notice. However, our gasoline is cheaper.

Your best bet is to get here and find a local art shop, depending on your medium. I like Jerry's (https://www.jerrysartistoutlet.com/new_store/) but it's a bit of a drive from any of those towns. But once you find a decent art store they'll probably have a lead on some local studio spaces. Given NJ's history as a manufacturing giant who has seen light manufacturing leave we have a lot of buildings that people are re-using, you just need to find one local to where you'll be: https://npstudios.wordpress.com/

Old 10-15-2019, 08:02 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Hi,

A family member of mine graduated from a 4 year "art college" in May.

She is now "formally educated/trained" & pretty darn good as far as my un-trained eye is concerned.

She's working two part-time jobs, in retail, because she has to pay the rent.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:14 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks
I live in Morris County (That's the county Chatham resides in). I live two houses away from an artist (painter mainly), but she was a stay at home mom who didn't need to work for money since her husband is a doctor in Kentucky and makes probably all the family's money. I'm not sure if she got paid, but she was the one who painted a whole bunch unique stuff at my elementary school in town.

Art Factory in Paterson has art studio rental space or photography studio rental space. That place was ghetto in my opinion, since I went their for an interview, but it has a good reputation.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Cheap art studios in those areas are going to be difficult, not because there's no art or that artists can't support themselves, but mostly because the costs per square foot for ANY kind of space are high. So you might need to drive a town over and find yourself some room, like Madison or . Depending on your subject matter, getting an extra bedroom in the house is probably the least expensive way to go about it.

That said, the main thrust you might have noticed from everyone here is that "it's impossible!" but the better way to say it is "it's difficult." Most of it has to do with a series of different costs in comparison to Europe. Health care, public transit, and a lack of government art grants are the major things you'll notice. However, our gasoline is cheaper.

Your best bet is to get here and find a local art shop, depending on your medium. I like Jerry's (https://www.jerrysartistoutlet.com/new_store/) but it's a bit of a drive from any of those towns. But once you find a decent art store they'll probably have a lead on some local studio spaces. Given NJ's history as a manufacturing giant who has seen light manufacturing leave we have a lot of buildings that people are re-using, you just need to find one local to where you'll be: https://npstudios.wordpress.com/

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey