Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 07:48 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,616 times

Advertisements

If you're pumping out every year or two it's too small a tank for the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 08:06 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Based on what the previous person said, everything just "settles out" so why pump at all?

Old 11-15-2019, 08:36 AM

480 posts, read 480,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Not sure what you mean by this. If everything just "settles out" (whatever that means) then there would be no need to have the tank pumped out every year or two.
Soilds settle to the bottom, but there is only so much room in the tank-see the diagram below:

Eventually that solids layer gets deeper and deeper. If it rises to the level of the outflow baffle, solids will begin to flow into the drainfield, which will clog the laterals and cause complete failure of the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Pumping every two years is akin to changing the oil in your car every 5,000 miles. If you pump every two years your system (like the engine in your car) will be ensured a long and healthy life. If you don't, your mileage may vary. It's cheap insurance-I plan to be carried out of my current home in a pine box, so doing the math if, God willing, I have another 50 years left:

50 years with pumpouts every two years = 25 pumpouts at a cost of $400 (overestimating to account for inflation) each = $10,000/50 = $200 per year annualized cost, which is far less than the cheapest public sewer bill. Our first home had public water and sewer and we were paying about $2000 per year. That doesn't even begin to account for the difference in quality of life.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:39 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,150,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaems View Post
Thanks and sorry for the late reply. I didn't get any notifications for the additional replies.

I definitely would want to get a clear picture of the status of this 40 y/o septic in the house I'm interested in. If at end of life I am hoping I can get a ballpark of what it would cost to replace and figure things out from there. Like the house a lot but have heard replacing a septic can be as much as $50k. Seller claims they just had septic tested and repaired fwiw. Apparently the current buyer is still asking for a big credit and the deal may fall through.

Thanks again for all the info, everyone.
When we bought our house (built in 1959) in Wyckoff back in 2012, the sellers completed their own septic inspection which subsequently failed (this was done prior to them listing). They proactively paid for a new 4 bedroom septic which cost approx $40k. I think it'll be well worth the $500-$750 investment to get it independently inspected if the sellers aren't willing to do so.

We sold that house in 2015 and the buyers paid for a septic inspection even though it was only 3 years old...

This is a pretty good article regarding your situation:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/mo...tems/94793772/

Old 11-17-2019, 04:38 PM

22 posts, read 23,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
When we bought our house (built in 1959) in Wyckoff back in 2012, the sellers completed their own septic inspection which subsequently failed (this was done prior to them listing). They proactively paid for a new 4 bedroom septic which cost approx $40k. I think it'll be well worth the $500-$750 investment to get it independently inspected if the sellers aren't willing to do so.

We sold that house in 2015 and the buyers paid for a septic inspection even though it was only 3 years old...

This is a pretty good article regarding your situation:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/mo...tems/94793772/
Very helpful article, thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey