Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 07:53 AM

10,482 posts, read 6,999,249 times

Advertisements

Public Transportation is a complete failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 08:15 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Public transportation is only practical in densely populated urban areas where people can walk between their home and bus stops, train stations etc. Since route 80 (and any other NJ highway) spans through suburban sprawl, it is short-sighted to think that public transportation is going to solve any traffic problems in these areas.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:44 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,947 times
Quote:

False.
Imagine if all these mass transit trips were via car:
https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/FactsAtaGlance.pdf

Old 10-22-2019, 09:01 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
No, poor driving is usually what causes accidents. If people simply paid attention to the road so many accidents could be avoided.
Exactly!
I have driven that highway, and traversed all of its entrance and exit ramps, since the '70s, and I have never had any accidents on I-80.

The only two accidents in which I have ever been involved were both my fault. The first one was due to inattention to my driving task, and the second one was due to driving too fast for conditions in the wake of a snow storm. Subsequent to those two incidents, I have driven--accident free--for 49 years.

There is an old saying that tells us... A poor workman blames his tools.
Similarly, poor drivers blame the design of the roads for their own failings.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:13 AM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Uh huh... and I suppose you independently paid for your car and pay for your insurance and car maintenance with your own earned money from a legitimate income source. If so, I’ll shut up.

If not, get over your pampered self. Not everyone has the resources to buy, insure, and maintain a car.
When someone's arguments take the form of personal attacks and name-calling, it's a pretty clear admission that they don't have anything valid or worthwhile to say.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:27 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
No, poor driving is usually what causes accidents. If people simply paid attention to the road so many accidents could be avoided.

Bingo, Johnny tell the poster what they've won!

Old 10-22-2019, 06:28 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Okay but how did that cause the ACCIDENT

Old 10-23-2019, 05:45 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Exactly!
I have driven that highway, and traversed all of its entrance and exit ramps, since the '70s, and I have never had any accidents on I-80.

The only two accidents in which I have ever been involved were both my fault. The first one was due to inattention to my driving task, and the second one was due to driving too fast for conditions in the wake of a snow storm. Subsequent to those two incidents, I have driven--accident free--for 49 years.

There is an old saying that tells us... A poor workman blames his tools.
Similarly, poor drivers blame the design of the roads for their own failings.
Dad used to say, "It's better to get somewhere late than not get there at all."

Old 10-23-2019, 06:31 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Dad used to say, "It's better to get somewhere late than not get there at all."
I agree, but I do have to point-out that I'm not a slowpoke. When I get onto an expressway that is un-congested, I usually set my Cruise Control to 75 mph. Yes, there are some drivers who are still passing me at that speed, but I haven't been accident-free for 49 years because I am driving slowly.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:53 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Whoo hoo, woo hoo, and woo-hoo! You paid for your makeup? Big freakin' deal. Tell me when you have to pay for all of your clothing. I had to start doing that in high school.
I paid for a lot of new clothing I bought throughout my college days. I only bought a few clothes in high school, because I was not heavily into my looks at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey