Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 01:19 PM

453 posts, read 345,036 times

Advertisements

Where in Brooklyn do you work? Are you right off the Verrazano? My mom did Basking Ridge - Industry City for maybe 10 years, only stopping last year as her company opened a facility in NJ. Not ideal, 45 miles each way, average time of 1.5 hours to get to work with sometimes 2.5.-3 hour one-way commutes due to the horror show that is the Staten Island Expressway. But sometimes, she flew in (Jewish holidays were the best, other holidays with no school made it better). It's not guaranteed and it was often terrible, but she did it. Everyone has different tolerance levels so you'll need to think hard about those types of crazy traffic days, snow, rain, and other times when people forget how to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 11:17 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The thing you have to make clear is that before "Boom you're in Brooklyn," you are going to sit in stop-and-go, bumper-to-bumper traffic for almost the entire SIE to the Verrazano.
Yeah, but nonetheless it can be done in 90 mins on most days. Of course if it snows its 2-3 hours but that's the case almost anywhere in the NYC metro. Like I said, I've done that commute, 90 mins isn't impossible.

I'd rather have multiple root canals than do that commute nowadays but everyone's tolerance is different. Coming to Brooklyn from LI is no picnic either.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:36 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Yeah, but nonetheless it can be done in 90 mins on most days. Of course if it snows its 2-3 hours but that's the case almost anywhere in the NYC metro. Like I said, I've done that commute, 90 mins isn't impossible.

I'd rather have multiple root canals than do that commute nowadays but everyone's tolerance is different. Coming to Brooklyn from LI is no picnic either.
I couldn't do it again, either, so I guess only the OP can decide if he wants to experience that. In fairness, though it took two hours, once I got off on Fort Hamilton Parkway I it would take me 15 minutes to drive about three miles because of the blocks of school buses at the yeshivas, and that was a big part of my delay. Different places in Brooklyn might be easier to get to.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:24 AM

9 posts, read 5,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewhatwho View Post
Where in Brooklyn do you work? Are you right off the Verrazano? My mom did Basking Ridge - Industry City for maybe 10 years, only stopping last year as her company opened a facility in NJ. Not ideal, 45 miles each way, average time of 1.5 hours to get to work with sometimes 2.5.-3 hour one-way commutes due to the horror show that is the Staten Island Expressway. But sometimes, she flew in (Jewish holidays were the best, other holidays with no school made it better). It's not guaranteed and it was often terrible, but she did it. Everyone has different tolerance levels so you'll need to think hard about those types of crazy traffic days, snow, rain, and other times when people forget how to drive.
We work in Fort Greene in Brooklyn - a few blocks away from the Barclays Center.

We're going to do an experiment on this later this week. Take a trip out and experience this commute time.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Really really appreciated....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey