Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 07:42 PM

3 posts, read 6,330 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I would like to know more about the towns of Fair Lawn, River Edge & Paramus & how do you compare them in the following terms :
1.) Schools (elementary & middle schools)
2.) Facilities (Library, Parks, shopping options)
3.) Commute to New York City (availability of bus & trains)
4.) Crime/Safety & Flooding issues

I am looking to buy a house there; so any other thoughts/comments are welcome. Other info as below.

Where are you coming from? Edgewater, NJ
Why are you moving? School and buying house
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? NYC- Mid Town

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? 700k-900k
What kind of place are you looking for? Town home

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse, 1 kid (5 yrs)
Do you need/want good public schools? Yes

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) families with kids, young, Indian families

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) good school, short commute, new construction

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 09:27 PM

595 posts, read 1,558,106 times
all 3 are fine....and you can use the new bridge parking lot for the river edge train even if you live in a different town, you just have to email them to get on their waiting list. You will find more indians in paramus and in fair lawn. Fair lawn will be the cheapest, but it is also more economically diverse and may not be as attractive looking compared to river edge and paramus. Paramus does have several NJ Transit bus lines, with the 165 Parkway express being a popular one.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:59 PM

271 posts, read 566,533 times
https://www.pulte.com/homes/new-jers...radburn-209964

Old 10-25-2019, 06:11 PM

3 posts, read 6,330 times
Do you live in Fair Lawn, NJ? Can you answer -
1.) Schools (elementary & middle schools)
2.) Facilities (Library, Parks, shopping options)
3.) Commute to New York City (availability of bus & trains)
4.) Crime/Safety & Flooding issues

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2019, 07:57 PM

595 posts, read 1,558,106 times
you are literally spitting hairs. all 3 are right next to each other so the stores and shopping doesn't make a difference. how about you do some homework and look at nj transit's website and see whether the bus or train work for you.

the train line for fair lawn is better compared to river edge's train, but fair lawn as a whole is not as attractive looking. and because fair lawn is cheaper to buy in, it is having a more overcrowding issue. it's one of those towns that is easier for families to buy into bergen county in and have good schools. there is no overcrowding issue in river edge or paramus. have you been in any of the towns? have you gone to any of the open houses? i feel like you need to step out and walk around a bit.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:49 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,249,505 times
I’ve heard people complain that it’s hard to drive around Paramus for after school and weekend activities, like sports at different fields, because of the traffic.
I would put the schools on par with the schools in your current town, maybe slightly better.
I haven’t visited all 3 libraries but you can.
Not sure what you mean by easy parking, most people park in their driveway/garage.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:59 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I?ve heard people complain that it?s hard to drive around Paramus for after school and weekend activities, like sports at different fields, because of the traffic.
Not sure what you mean by easy parking, most people park in their driveway/garage.
At virtually any time of day, driving around Paramus is... not pleasant... as a result of the traffic congestion.

And, like you, I am somewhat mystified by the OP's parking comment.
Even with a townhouse, I would expect a $700k-$900k home to have both a garage (possibly a 2 car garage) and a driveway. Unless the OP has a lot of cars, he should be able to park them on his own property.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:23 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Funny how the OP posted flooding issues and have River Edge in there. That place is right at sea level next to water.

Old 10-26-2019, 01:08 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,631,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
At virtually any time of day, driving around Paramus is... not pleasant... as a result of the traffic congestion.

And, like you, I am somewhat mystified by the OP's parking comment.
Even with a townhouse, I would expect a $700k-$900k home to have both a garage (possibly a 2 car garage) and a driveway. Unless the OP has a lot of cars, he should be able to park them on his own property.
I don’t see anywhere where OP mentioned anything about parking

Old 10-26-2019, 01:55 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Funny how the OP posted flooding issues and have River Edge in there. That place is right at sea level next to water.
Not really. Small sections by the river during a big event, sure, but the vast majority of it is dry and even high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey