Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,004 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a possible move to Edison, NJ to be close to my daughter's who are planning to attend an art college in NYC (possibly NYU). The company I work for has a corporate office there. I'm looking for the "goods" on living in Edison!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 04:37 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
I live in the next town over from Edison- Woodbridge. The beauty of this area is it's proximity to everything. Woodbridge is the only place in the state that the NJ Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway cross, and I can be on either one in under 5 minutes. I can also get on Route 1, 9, or 287, all in town, so regardless of where I need to go, I've got ready access. The Edison/Woodbridge area is fairly congested, but not as bad as people will sometimes make it out to be- and definitely not as bad as areas closer to NYC or in North Jersey. I've been driving the same route to work for the past 6 years, and it's actually gotten lighter over the years while most metro areas are getting worse traffic over time.

There are two major malls- Menlo Park Mall in Edison, and Woodbridge Center in Woodbridge, which will satisfy any shopping needs you may have.

I'm going to guess that your company's office is either in Metropark or Raritan Center, which are the two large business parks in the area. Both are easy to get to, and fairly nice areas.

Regarding NYC, you can drive in if you wanted to (the Holland Tunnel is less than 45 minutes off-hours, a little over an hour during rush hour), or hop a train from 6 stations in the area. The trains run direct into Penn Station, or you can get off in Newark and grab the PATH trains to several parts of Manhattan.

One warning if it's an issue for you- there is a large Indian/Asian/Pakistani population centered in North Edison and the Iselin section of Woodbridge. There's tons of ethic shopping and food, and the people don't bother anyone- they actual help the school system IMO, since they typically value education more than some of the other sectors of the population do.

If you need further info, feel free to ask.

Bob

Old 12-21-2006, 07:23 PM

604 posts, read 2,913,408 times
Edison was a great place to grow up. I went from K to 12th grade in Edison Twp. As amatter of fact I lived in Raritan Twp. before they renamed it Edison Twp. in the 1950's.
I moved out in 1962 when it was still a growing town. Today it is way to overpopulated.
Back in 1948 when it was mostly farms the developers of the day started building tract homes on 50X100 lots. Today those homes still stand and they provide a lot of kids to the school system. Edison today has two High Schools and a lot more grammer schools than it did 45 years ago.
It is just too crowded for my tastes.
Somerset and Hunterdon County towns generally are less crowded and homes are usually on larger lots.

Some people like lots of people around and if you do Edison might be perfect.

Last edited by emanon; 12-21-2006 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 12-21-2006, 10:57 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
Edison is very sprawly and suburban. There isn't really a central business district or downtown with character as there are in surrounding communities, unless you consider the "Little India" section in the Oak Tree Road area (which I believe actually lies in Iselin) to be one. Overall, it's a good place to live. Safe, nice homes, good schools and access to shopping with all of the typical suburban amenities.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:15 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
I know I'm going to get some flack on this but. Edison is a nice area, however when your driving keep you head on a swivel and be aware of what all the other motorists are doing. I've driven through there numerous times and occasionally it's an adventure. Good luck with your move.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:41 PM

202 posts, read 992,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I know I'm going to get some flack on this but. Edison is a nice area, however when your driving keep you head on a swivel and be aware of what all the other motorists are doing. I've driven through there numerous times and occasionally it's an adventure. Good luck with your move.
Why would you get flak for an innocuous (and true) comment like that?

Personally, I'd say this is true throughout Northern NJ. There's a lot of traffic everywhere and sometimes knuckleheads that don't pay attention will do crazy things. And I'll be honest here, in a few rare cases that knucklehead has been me.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:51 PM

Exhdo1 may be referring to the large Indian/Asian population. While it's a stereotype that Asians are poor drivers, Ive gotta say, I live the true reality of that one every time I drive up Oak Tree Road through Little India.

While it's true that the drivers around here leave something to be desired in general, I've never seen so many poor drivers as I see on Oak Tree Road. I've had more people pull out in front of me with no regard for the fact that I even exist, stop in the middle of the road for no apparent reason, make left turns from the right lane, stop in the travel lane to wait to make a left instead of using the dedicated turn lane, and who knows how many other blatant (and dangerous) traffic violations. Invariably, there's always a minimum of 3-4 Indians/Asians crammed into the little Honda/Toyota/Nissan and they're all pointing in different directions.

Go ahead and tell me I'm stereotyping, but then drive thru that area on a Saturday/Sunday and report back to me as to whether I was right....lol.

Bob

Old 12-22-2006, 04:59 PM

202 posts, read 992,765 times
There are a lot of bad drivers everywhere and it's really too easy to just point to any one group without thinking and say, "Yeah, THOSE guys suck."

I've driven a lot of miles in a lot of states all up and down the east coast and all groups of people just drive badly everywhere because they drive selfishly with no regard for anyone else on the road. Just my opinion, though. For reference, I have driven often through Edison, including Oak Tree Road. Maybe I just haven't gone there during the really bad hours....

EDIT: I deleted part of my original message because I think it could be misconstrued as saying the opposite of what I wanted to say.

Last edited by Onizuka; 12-22-2006 at 06:15 PM..

Old 12-22-2006, 05:26 PM

604 posts, read 2,913,408 times
There is absolutely no such thing as a perfect driver, one who has never made a mistake or error in judgment while driving.
Just remember that one time when you make a bonehead mistake while driving all the people who witness it will remember you forever as the complete idiot.

If you think you have never done something stupid while driving then you also have a memory problem.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:24 PM

I'll agree that I've probably made a bonehead maneuver or two in my time, as we all likely have. And you're right, it's easy to point the finger at a group and say "they're the problem". But I'm telling you, I've driven all over the US, and I can honestly say that I've never seen such a high incidence of stupid driving as I see on Oak Tree Road. And I'm not just talking about a little "whoops, I missed my turn" kind of incident- I'm talking about pulling out into traffic without looking to see what's coming, driving haphazardly down the road stopping at random as if no one was being inconvenienced as you tried to determine where you want to go, and then pulling a left from the right lane without even looking- all in a 4-5 block distance. That goes beyond the occasional "oops".........

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey