Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 12:08 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,492,183 times

Advertisements

I shop frequently at places like Ulta and Harmon's (attracts a lot of Boomers and older people) and it bothers be when people who look 40 and older do not respect my personal space when it is my turn at the cash register. By common sense, when I am on deck in line, I stand before the row of cash registers begin.

I noticed that these people stand close to me a lot and it is especially when I am making returns. Yet, they are the ones who have the Karen haircut and act like Karens when they make the returns. I hate when they stand so close to me when it is the store's fault for taking too long to do a return. I went to Harmon's today trying to do a return and they were taking too long to do it (the cashier eventually called another cashier to open up) and this old man was standing close to me rather than before the row of cash registers. I just don't get why people who look 40 have to do this. It's rude and it's like you are reading over my shoulder. Stores need to act like DMVs, place a yellow line on the floor where "customers must wait behind the yellow line".

Is this a Jersey thing or a generational thing? Or is it because I am Indian where people stereotype us as cheap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 12:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
i think that kind of stuff is generational. older generations have been raised to believe that they are the most important people in the world and they have a right to be in front of everyone else. so they will stand close and hope to cut you or just hope to let you know that you shouldnt take too long because they are waiting.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:29 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Every time I see a post started by "Potanta" I know I'm in for a treat.

And no, I have never noticed this. Some people are just overly sensitive I guess...

Old 10-29-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think that kind of stuff is generational. older generations have been raised to believe that they are the most important people in the world and they have a right to be in front of everyone else. so they will stand close and hope to cut you or just hope to let you know that you shouldnt take too long because they are waiting.
It sucks, I was the only person and there was no line and suddenly he pops up standing close to me. What a waste of space overpopulating this state when I could have had the line to MYSELF!

Old 10-29-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Every time I see a post started by "Potanta" I know I'm in for a treat.

And no, I have never noticed this. Some people are just overly sensitive I guess...
I am the star of the New Jersey forum. I should make millions from the entertainment I provide.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:37 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I have noticed in the grocery store old people will stand at the register for 10 minutes counting out every penny to pay the exact amount of their bill. Not a care in the world that there are 5 other people in line behind them. I don't think this is really a matter of self importance though. I think it's a matter of not having any other care in the world at that moment. No other place to be. Meanwhile the rest of us have to go pick up the kids, get to practice, make dinner, etc. When I was younger I used to take my grandmother to the grocery store every weekend. We would often be there for an hour or more while she went up and down every single aisle. It drove me crazy at the time, but looking back on it, this was the only time she got out of the house during the week, so it was a day out to look forward to

Old 10-29-2019, 12:39 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
This doesn't bother you at any other time? Strange. You have decided that you are the only person worthy of waiting for a cashier?

There are several solutions:

1. Move to the desert.
2. Stop bathing.
3. Wear some heinous scent and wear a LOT of it.
4. Grow up, get some counseling, and get over it.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I have noticed in the grocery store old people will stand at the register for 10 minutes counting out every penny to pay the exact amount of their bill. Not a care in the world that there are 5 other people in line behind them. I don't think this is really a matter of self importance though. I think it's a matter of not having any other care in the world at that moment. No other place to be. Meanwhile the rest of us have to go pick up the kids, get to practice, make dinner, etc. When I was younger I used to take my grandmother to the grocery store every weekend. We would often be there for an hour or more while she went up and down every single aisle. It drove me crazy at the time, but looking back on it, this was the only time she got out of the house during the week, so it was a day out to look forward to
When I worked at ShopRite, I was usually polite to the older people taking a while to count change. I can understand that, because it's hard to move fast and to think straight when you are that old. Most of them usually wrote checks to save time anyways.

It sucks when people have to hold me up in line, I get what you are saying. I have work and school and mostly in a rush for things.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This doesn't bother you at any other time? Strange. You have decided that you are the only person worthy of waiting for a cashier?

There are several solutions:

1. Move to the desert.
2. Stop bathing.
3. Wear some heinous scent and wear a LOT of it.
4. Grow up, get some counseling, and get over it.
Speaking of deserts, I noticed that Californians are nicer in older generations.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:44 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,199 times
So stereotyping Indians is not OK, but stereotyping Caucasian women who choose to wear a particular hairstyle is OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: