Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 08:47 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
It's like Kathleen Turner said in "Peggy Sue got Married". "Dad ...you bought an Edsel?"
I'm sure that it seemed like a good idea at the time. My brother bought a Pacer.

https://carbuzz.com/news/weekly-crai...1979-amc-pacer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 09:15 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm sure that it seemed like a good idea at the time. My brother bought a Pacer.

https://carbuzz.com/news/weekly-crai...1979-amc-pacer

Gee, if he had only given it to you, you could have converted it into a greenhouse and opened that great new boutique plant store, "Gerania's Geraniums"

Old 11-19-2019, 10:52 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It was started by a retiree who lives in Jersey!

I suspect with humor, since people are always talking about how everyone is leaving NJ.
No, fleeing. Fleeing is a very popular and often used word on City-Data.

The Yogi Berra quote was the tip-off.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:40 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
October 1st to May 1st SW Florida (7 months). NJ Shore May 1st to Sept. 30th. Best of both states

Old 11-20-2019, 07:46 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
October 1st to May 1st SW Florida (7 months). NJ Shore May 1st to Sept. 30th. Best of both states
Where in SW Florida?

Many years ago, when I was married and my MIL was alive, I went to Punta Gorda twice a year. It was a nice area.

The only downside was that most of my then-husband's family had also moved there, and they kept getting married in the summer. I guess weddings are cheaper there in summer like they are in February here. It was hell. You never felt dry or clean because the humidity was so thick you could cut it with a knife, and there were bugs everywhere.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:37 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I like that plan, but I would wait till November till hurricane season was over!

I don’t like having to pay the property taxes either, but I’m not planning on going anywhere permanently. I know from helping my mom who is 87 now over the past 15 or so years, that you really need people you can count on when you get old. My whole family is down here, a support system.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:33 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,368,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
If I was to move out of NJ when I retire it would be to live back in the city again. I've spent my time in the Carolinas and it was not enjoyable. Someone else can take my space down there.
People who have lived in NJ for a long time don't realize what it is like to live down South or the Midwest, it just isn't the same. They visit on vacations or during a business trip, drive around, and think "this is cheaper, I could retire here".

Old 11-24-2019, 10:11 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I don't understand the New Jersey obsession with North Carolina. I have been there many times and just see it as suburban sprawl with no character. I have friends that moved there in the early 2000's (back when moving to NC was the latest fad). They moved back to NJ within a year. They felt they did not fit in with the southern culture. The weather there is really not much different than NJ.
I think it's because it's closer than FL but still warmer and cheaper than here. It's way easier to drive back to NJ from NC to visit family/friends and for holidays than it is to drive from Florida. It's also why I think it's more popular than SC or GA. It's not too close but also not too far. Many people think 8-10 hours of driving is doable but getting towards 12 and longer is too much.

So I don't think it's necessarily anything special about NC itself, just its location.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 11-24-2019 at 10:21 AM..

Old 11-24-2019, 10:14 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
People who have lived in NJ for a long time don't realize what it is like to live down South or the Midwest, it just isn't the same. They visit on vacations or during a business trip, drive around, and think "this is cheaper, I could retire here".
I know some people who have found this to be true but unfortunately they can't really afford to move back.

It depends on the person and their lifestyle. Some people can do fine moving to an area outside a metro region like the NYC one and an overall huge urban corridor area like Boston to Washington. But others really like many aspects of living in such an area and would find that moving South, where there are cities like nothing like what we're used to (NYC) until you hit Atlanta or Miami which come close but aren't even quite the same, is just not for them. Culturally and politically it can also be pretty different, but again, some will like it and others will not.

Old 11-24-2019, 01:13 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,138,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I know some people who have found this to be true but unfortunately they can't really afford to move back.

It depends on the person and their lifestyle. Some people can do fine moving to an area outside a metro region like the NYC one and an overall huge urban corridor area like Boston to Washington. But others really like many aspects of living in such an area and would find that moving South, where there are cities like nothing like what we're used to (NYC) until you hit Atlanta or Miami which come close but aren't even quite the same, is just not for them. Culturally and politically it can also be pretty different, but again, some will like it and others will not.
I think much of the issue is that people in the Northeast, especially NY/NJ, have an elitist attitude that would make it hard for them to be able to accept living in any other area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey