Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 07:04 AM

19,067 posts, read 25,221,023 times

Advertisements

https://www.nj.com/news/2019/11/cong...ving-here.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 07:49 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,114,993 times
The article fails to mention anything about retirees. How many people are leaving the state once they reach retirement age. I already know that once I am retirement eligible I am not going to be living here spending 15-20K/year in property taxes and dealing with cold weather for 6 months out of the year.

I have been living in NJ for about 25 years, mostly out of necessity because of my job. If I had the opportunity to move I would jump at the chance.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:10 AM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Given that the OP and I are both retirees, your question is interesting. I know many retirees who still live here. It's home, and it's not always easy to just pack up and move a significant number of hours away from every person you know.

I also know a few who have moved south when they retired, but they often went with a partner/spouse or had family or friends in the area to which they moved. The son of a friend of mine, who is 79, is trying to persuade her to buy a house with him in North Carolina because he'll be retiring in a few years. Her grandson/his nephew and their wife and kids are down there. She doesn't want to go. Her friends are all here. She has a church, a Mahjong group, neighbors with whom she has dinner and plays cards. It would be very difficult to try to re-establish all that at 80 years old.

I pay a little less than $4k in property tax because I live in a condo.

I will leave the state eventually, I think, but I will be going somewhere colder.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:51 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,114,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Given that the OP and I are both retirees, your question is interesting. I know many retirees who still live here. It's home, and it's not always easy to just pack up and move a significant number of hours away from every person you know.

I also know a few who have moved south when they retired, but they often went with a partner/spouse or had family or friends in the area to which they moved. The son of a friend of mine, who is 79, is trying to persuade her to buy a house with him in North Carolina because he'll be retiring in a few years. Her grandson/his nephew and their wife and kids are down there. She doesn't want to go. Her friends are all here. She has a church, a Mahjong group, neighbors with whom she has dinner and plays cards. It would be very difficult to try to re-establish all that at 80 years old.

I will leave the state eventually, I think, but I will be going somewhere colder.
Yes that is understandable for people that have been born and raised in NJ and have deep roots. I'm not originally from NJ so I guess that is one reason I have less of a passion for this state than other people. Once my kids grow up and eventually move on that will be the biggest driver in whether or not I choose to stay.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:25 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,850,271 times
If I was to move out of NJ when I retire it would be to live back in the city again. I've spent my time in the Carolinas and it was not enjoyable. Someone else can take my space down there.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
If I was to move out of NJ when I retire it would be to live back in the city again. I've spent my time in the Carolinas and it was not enjoyable. Someone else can take my space down there.
I enjoyed vacationing on Oak Island on the southern NC coast for a week and wouldn't mind going back, but I don't think I'd fit in down in North Carolina. Some of my former coworkers are down there in retirement communities, but they've got spouses and they have adult children and grandchildren who visit them, and that is not my life. I wouldn't fit in with the standard retirement lifestyle at all.

I never lived in the city but have considered that as an option in retirement. However, life took a twist and now I spend time in the north because of a relationship. I found I really love rural winter as long as I'm not required to go anywhere on a regular basis.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:44 AM

7,054 posts, read 19,257,267 times
Quote:
I enjoyed vacationing on Oak Island on the southern NC coast for a week and wouldn't mind going back, but I don't think I'd fit in down in North Carolina. Some of my former coworkers are down there in retirement communities, but they've got spouses and they have adult children and grandchildren who visit them, and that is not my life. I wouldn't fit in with the standard retirement lifestyle at all.
I have one set of grandparents in that situation now, and they're considering coming back. They're aging out of the "active adult" lifestyle and want to spend the "final chapter" closer to family.

Quote:
I never lived in the city but have considered that as an option in retirement. However, life took a twist and now I spend time in the north because of a relationship. I found I really love rural winter as long as I'm not required to go anywhere on a regular basis.
Same. I could see myself retiring in a big city (New York or other) or somewhere in northern New England.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:25 PM

11,318 posts, read 16,634,674 times
I always tell people that I moved out of New Jersey by moving to South Jersey.

And yes we still have our teeth and no pick up truck in the driveway...

Old 11-18-2019, 02:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,463,418 times
Quote:

I still think NJ is a great place to live, if you can afford it. Like ansky opined, us middle-class retirees are caught between a rock and a hard place when coughing up that yearly "princely sum" of property tax money which goes to services we don't use and salaries and pensions that are far higher than ours. Moving to North Carolina made great economic sense for me and allowed me to have a much better quality of life for a lot less money. That 50% property tax cut you get at 65 in NC would be something NJ ought to copy if they want to retain their seniors.

However, I'd be willing to move back if I could get a house like the one I currently live in, ~ 2900 sq ft (below) for $225,000 and an $1150 tax bill in Ridgewood NJ or perhaps, Montclair.

Nobody goes there anymore, because it's too crowded...-20160613_150800.jpg

The older you get, the less you'll want to move to a colder area. I used to laugh at my grandmother for wearing a sweater in 85 degree heat, while I was sweating wearing a tee shirt and shorts. Now, I think she might be right, the closer I get to 70, the less heat bothers me. It's also nice to never have to shovel snow and to wear a light jacket in the middle of January. Something to think about.

PS I don't know why the picture is upside down but if you click on it and hit View, it rights itself. Sorry about that!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 11-18-2019 at 02:49 PM..

Old 11-18-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I still think NJ is a great place to live, if you can afford it. Like ansky opined, us middle-class retirees are caught between a rock and a hard place when coughing up that yearly "princely sum" of property tax money which goes to services we don't use and salaries and pensions that are far higher than ours. Moving to North Carolina made great economic sense for me and allowed me to have a much better quality of life for a lot less money. That 50% property tax cut you get at 65 in NC would be something NJ ought to copy if they want to retain their seniors.

However, I'd be willing to move back if I could get a house like the one I currently live in, ~ 2900 sq ft (below) for $225,000 and an $1150 tax bill in Ridgewood NJ or perhaps, Montclair.

Attachment 216172

The older you get, the less you'll want to move to a colder area. I used to laugh at my grandmother for wearing a sweater in 85 degree heat, while I was sweating wearing a tee shirt and shorts. Now, I think she might be right, the closer I get to 70, the less heat bothers me. It's also nice to never have to shovel snow and to wear a light jacket in the middle of January. Something to think about.

PS I don't know why the picture is upside down but if you click on it and hit View, it rights itself. Sorry about that!
Nice house.

I get a NY pension, but Jersey taxes the hell out of it. I knew that when I moved here pre-retirement, but I guess I didn't know how much the tax would be. Also, I liked the idea of living near the shore, and ten years ago I still wasn't retired and needed access to a train to the city.

I am 61, and I don't like the heat right now. My alternate universe is very cold, but I am only allowed to be there 183 days a year. They don't want retirees. I love Vermont but the taxes there are worse. I might end up upstate NY somewhere. Or Massachusetts.

Meanwhile, Mom is still in NJ, so I am too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey