Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 11:54 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

Tell me about your personal experience in NJ getting a gun permit (long gun or CCP no matter).

And is RTSP the only range in the state or at least in North Jersey?

I read this blog about getting a gun permit in NYC, and its horrible. The NYPD is horrible with this stuff. Blog is below.

Also last time I at RTSP, they said the owner is Israeli. If RTSP is the only range in NNJ, or NJ even, I find it odd that a foreigner is the one who does opens it or owns it.

https://professional-troublemaker.co...in-nyc-part-i/

https://professional-troublemaker.co...n-nyc-part-ii/

https://professional-troublemaker.co...e-good-reason/

Is the NJ experience similar, or more favorable? Something tells me it is worse than NYC. Remember we also have to deal with the smell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 08:41 AM

480 posts, read 480,261 times
What is the question? You're kind of all over the place. If you're asking about obtaining a NJ Firearms ID card, which permits you to purchase long guns, it is a fairly simple process. You apply through your local PD or the State Police if you do not have one. I did my address change through my State Police barracks and it took about 45 days. I got my initial card through a local PD where I was living at the time and they had it done in less than 30 days. You also mention "CCP" which I'm assuming refers to a license or permit to carry a handgun. Though technically NJ is a "may issue" state, in practice it is a "no issue" state. NJ law leaves the discretion to local police chiefs who will not issue one. The applicant then has the option to appeal through the courts, but ultimately it won't happen.

As for ranges, not sure what you're talking about. There are plenty of private ranges all over the state plus public ranges on Wildlife Management Area lands open to licensed hunters and their guests. One last thing-jumping back to purchasing-the FPID card alone only allows purchase of long guns. Handgun purchases require a separate permit (FPID is a prerequisite for obtaining said permit) and you're limited to one purchase per month. Let me know if that answers your questions.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:14 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default The future is uncertain in NJ.

a distinction must be made between permit to carry vs permit to purchase a handgun.

No one get a concealed carry except cops and some people who deal in large sums of money like financial investment jobs.

Permit to purchase gets the same scrutiny as a FID, release medical records, references, fingerprints run, NICS check at a every point in the transaction.

Firearm id card issued by NJ is a prerequisite to any purchse. BB guns are considered the equivalent of an AK47 modified to be legal in NJ.

Long gun purchase the least complicated.

Some municipalities deal quickly with permits, other intentionally drag their feet.

Stacks of permits in the out box of police stations. Guns flying off the shelf.

Murphy is the unknown, as who knows what ineffective draconian despotic regime restrictive regs he and his AG will conjure. The future is uncertain in NJ.

Many ranges, depends on firearm used. Some rimfire only, some centerfire rifle and pistol.

Can shoot on private property in many places where firearms use not prohibitied for hunting

Old 11-22-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp_Yankee View Post
What is the question? You're kind of all over the place. If you're asking about obtaining a NJ Firearms ID card, which permits you to purchase long guns, it is a fairly simple process. You apply through your local PD or the State Police if you do not have one. I did my address change through my State Police barracks and it took about 45 days. I got my initial card through a local PD where I was living at the time and they had it done in less than 30 days. You also mention "CCP" which I'm assuming refers to a license or permit to carry a handgun. Though technically NJ is a "may issue" state, in practice it is a "no issue" state. NJ law leaves the discretion to local police chiefs who will not issue one. The applicant then has the option to appeal through the courts, but ultimately it won't happen.

As for ranges, not sure what you're talking about. There are plenty of private ranges all over the state plus public ranges on Wildlife Management Area lands open to licensed hunters and their guests. One last thing-jumping back to purchasing-the FPID card alone only allows purchase of long guns. Handgun purchases require a separate permit (FPID is a prerequisite for obtaining said permit) and you're limited to one purchase per month. Let me know if that answers your questions.
Did you read the links?

Is the experience of getting a gun in NJ like what is described in the links?

I looked up, and seems there is only two more gun ranges in NNJ besides RTSP.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
a distinction must be made between permit to carry vs permit to purchase a handgun.

No one get a concealed carry except cops and some people who deal in large sums of money like financial investment jobs.

Permit to purchase gets the same scrutiny as a FID, release medical records, references, fingerprints run, NICS check at a every point in the transaction.

Firearm id card issued by NJ is a prerequisite to any purchse. BB guns are considered the equivalent of an AK47 modified to be legal in NJ.

Long gun purchase the least complicated.

Some municipalities deal quickly with permits, other intentionally drag their feet.

Stacks of permits in the out box of police stations. Guns flying off the shelf.

Murphy is the unknown, as who knows what ineffective draconian despotic regime restrictive regs he and his AG will conjure. The future is uncertain in NJ.

Many ranges, depends on firearm used. Some rimfire only, some centerfire rifle and pistol.

Can shoot on private property in many places where firearms use not prohibitied for hunting
Is it like NYC as in it is designed to make it very difficult, and pretty much a nuisance, so no one will obtain?

Old 11-22-2019, 09:33 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
There are probably 5 gun ranges I know of in Bergen/Passaic/Morris counties.

Getting a license is straightforward, but took a few weeks before my town verified/signed off on the paperwork. If you want a handgun, I would recommend to buy it off the bat, as the license lets you only buy rifles or shotguns. Every pistol needs to be applied for, so you might as well buy it off the bat if you are interested

Old 11-22-2019, 11:22 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
its pretty easy.

all the paperwork is online

Old 11-23-2019, 07:37 AM

480 posts, read 480,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is it like NYC as in it is designed to make it very difficult, and pretty much a nuisance, so no one will obtain?
You are asking about two different things at once. In NJ in order to PURCHASE (not carry) firearms you need a NJFPID card in the case of long guns and additionally a handgun permit to purchase a handgun. These simply allow you to purchase the guns-that's it. The process to obtain an FPID is relatively easy. With regard to carrying, (meaning on your person in public) yes, NJ is just like NYC. In theory there is a statutory framework by which a carry permit may be issued, but in practice it never actually happens. Unless there is a major legislative change at the state level, do not bother applying for a carry permit in NJ.

Old 11-23-2019, 12:42 PM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
I had no problems with my FID card. But you’ll never get any type of carry permit.

Old 11-23-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
There are probably 5 gun ranges I know of in Bergen/Passaic/Morris counties.

Getting a license is straightforward, but took a few weeks before my town verified/signed off on the paperwork. If you want a handgun, I would recommend to buy it off the bat, as the license lets you only buy rifles or shotguns. Every pistol needs to be applied for, so you might as well buy it off the bat if you are interested
I have never heard of one in Bergen. I found one in Passaic, and another in Union or Middlesex. And of course RTSP in Morris. Off the bat meaning outside of legal channels?

Quote:
You are asking about two different things at once. In NJ in order to PURCHASE (not carry) firearms you need a NJFPID card in the case of long guns and additionally a handgun permit to purchase a handgun. These simply allow you to purchase the guns-that's it. The process to obtain an FPID is relatively easy. With regard to carrying, (meaning on your person in public) yes, NJ is just like NYC. In theory there is a statutory framework by which a carry permit may be issued, but in practice it never actually happens. Unless there is a major legislative change at the state level, do not bother applying for a carry permit in NJ.
I am asking is the experience similar to the negative and harrowing experience the person in the links I provide.

Or is NJ a much more gun friendly state. If so easy, one will think that every or the majority of households with red blooded males will have guns. But growing up, I know that not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey