Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2020, 08:05 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I hope you and the Captain are right and I’m wrong. It looks like this will pass, so we shall see.
im not even sure what there is for me to be right about with regards to your hopes. i dont promise positive outcomes (while i do believe the outcomes will be positive). my position is that it is simply not the government's right to tell anyone what they can or cant consume. that is it. the outcomes will come and people will have to deal with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 08:30 AM

50,489 posts, read 36,126,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Yes, the NJ implementation will undoubtedly look like MA. Which is not terrible - I went to one out of curiosity when I was up there and it was a really nice experience. But, the cost is quite a bit higher than one would see on the west coast likely due to a combination of higher taxes and also due to the fact that cannabis is much less of a cottage industry in the east than it is out west, so just much less production capability/scale. The jury is out on what that means wrt eliminating the black market.

Looking forward to voting yes when I drop my ballot off this weekend.
I just wish we could have all the tourism-related stuff that Oregon, Colorado, Washington have. Like the TV shows on Vice where they go to a local restaurant and eat a 5 course infused gourmet meal, or a cannabis tasting tour (similar to wine tasting). It just sounds more fun in the west coast cities. Would love to be able to go out for 4/20 one year! The first year, the cops actually handed out bags of Doritos, don't know if they still do that. I looked in Boston cause my fiancé's family lives there and he goes frequently, and the only thing they had similar was one of those "come in and paint a picture" places. They have a lot more restrictive rules.

Taxes were one of the sticking points they couldn't get past when voters approved this the last time. The legislature wanted 10% tax, which would have been the lowest in the country. They wanted lower taxes to keep people from going to black market instead. But Murphy wanted higher taxes.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:42 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Taxes were one of the sticking points they couldn't get past when voters approved this the last time. The legislature wanted 10% tax, which would have been the lowest in the country. They wanted lower taxes to keep people from going to black market instead. But Murphy wanted higher taxes.
imagine being so evil that you think you have a right to lock people in a cage on something that you are ok with but arent satisfied with the tax rate. so keep something illegal because of a tax rate and keep people in prison because of a tax rate. the cognitive dissonance is amazing when it comes to stuff like this. if you think people should be able to legally buy a drug, then you have a duty to legalize it immediately.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:49 AM

4,017 posts, read 3,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
imagine being so evil that you think you have a right to lock people in a cage on something that you are ok with but arent satisfied with the tax rate. so keep something illegal because of a tax rate and keep people in prison because of a tax rate. the cognitive dissonance is amazing when it comes to stuff like this. if you think people should be able to legally buy a drug, then you have a duty to legalize it immediately.

That is pretty nuts when you put it that way.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:51 AM

4,163 posts, read 5,031,517 times
Quote:
...i dont promise positive outcomes (while i do believe the outcomes will be positive)...
I agree. I predict it will wind up like alcohol & tobacco -- responsible people either won't use it, or will use it responsibly. Irresponsible people will get their hands on it whether it's "legal" or not.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:02 AM

33,886 posts, read 47,082,096 times
Damn Puritans moved here to escape religious persecution

The irony

Can't even smoke in peace

Cirrhosis is more chic

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-08-2020, 02:21 PM

50,489 posts, read 36,126,975 times
Quote:
I didn’t even think of it in that context, but you’re absolutely right. How many people are in jail today only because pols couldn’t agree on tax rates and financial details of a legalization bill??

Old 10-08-2020, 05:48 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,599,180 times
No brainer. Vote yes

Old 10-08-2020, 06:10 PM

325 posts, read 365,009 times
Yuppers, YES all the way. Except that $250 credit for peacetime veterans. Aren’t we all struggling right now? That money’s gotta come from somewhere.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:23 PM

88,300 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
That's kind of idealistic, as if a politician is there to make things better for people. He or she is there because the people who stand to make money off his or her decisions put them there. They have to maintain a delicate balance between trying to appear to care about the constituents while doing the bidding of those who own him. Or her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey