Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2020, 02:09 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I'm stunned people would vote for this. That said, Oregon does have the third highest addiction rate in the country. It will certainly be attractive to live in Oregon if you do any of the said drugs.

I'm curious if anyone who supports this feels any trepidation about being on the road with someone who might have taken LSD, etc. Is anyone concerned that there is a danger of motor vehicle accidents rising? I'm also curious to see if auto insurance rates will go up.
How would it be any different now? Do you think people are going to be more or less emboldened to drive under the influence now than they would be if it was illegal? Why?

Old 11-04-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I don't have any hopes that people who are taking these hard drugs are interested in treatment.
Marijuana is not a hard drug, and the use of it rarely requires treatment.

If you are referring to Oregon and thinks like heroin or cocaine, then why do you not have any hopes that people who are using those drugs are interested in treatment? There are thousands of people in recovery from those drugs because they WERE interested in treatment. You are going to sit there and tell me you don't know even ONE former heroin addict or cocaine user now in recovery?

Old 11-04-2020, 02:12 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Marijuana is not a hard drug, and the use of it rarely requires treatment.
I agree it is not a hard drug. I am thinking about hard drugs, for example, what Oregon is decriminalizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I agree it is not a hard drug. I am thinking about hard drugs, for example, what Oregon is decriminalizing.
OK, I added to my post after realizing you meant what Oregon did.

Old 11-04-2020, 03:03 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
From a person who used to smoke back in the 70's, my big concern now is how many will be driving while stoned.

Old 11-04-2020, 03:51 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
From a person who used to smoke back in the 70's, my big concern now is how many will be driving while stoned.
If you live in Ocean County--as I surmise... feel free to correct me if I am wrong--you should be much more concerned with how many people are driving while under the influence of Opiates or Opioids. Or, are you not aware that your county has NJ's worst per-capita problem in regard to those HARD drugs?

Old 11-04-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Do you think more than now? Why?

Old 11-04-2020, 08:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
So are we supposed to lose our rights because of other people's bad behavior?

Old 11-04-2020, 08:28 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
So are we supposed to lose our rights because of other people's bad behavior?
We already lost all our rights because of a virus; there's nothing left to lose.

Old 11-05-2020, 06:52 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
I'm stunned people would vote for this. That said, Oregon does have the third highest addiction rate in the country. It will certainly be attractive to live in Oregon if you do any of the said drugs.

I'm curious if anyone who supports this feels any trepidation about being on the road with someone who might have taken LSD, etc. Is anyone concerned that there is a danger of motor vehicle accidents rising? I'm also curious to see if auto insurance rates will go up.
LSD is not legal to buy anywhere. Decriminalization means you won't go to jail for it, but no drugs are going to be sold legally in stores except pot. In Oregon mushrooms are legal when used under the supervision of a trained facilitator. If you google you will see they are finding almost miraculous results treating depression and PTSD using it. Some drug companies are using it as a base for a new generation of depression meds. But countless people with PTSD and other mental illnesses have seen their lives turned around from one session.

It will be better for everyone in Oregon than it was when those who used hard drugs were jailed. Now they choose between $100 fine that goes to treatment facilities) or getting an intake assessment at an addiction clinic. It moves drug addiction from the justice system to the public health system where it should be. How does it help the population to jail an addict over and over and over? The money is much better spent on treatment for those who want it.

Driving high will still be illegal. Are you worried about all the drunk drivers on the road? I never drive on the night of the Super Bowl or on NYE because I worry about that. But I don't want booze to be made illegal either.

People have never been unable to get pot or any other drugs. People who want to drive high are already doing so.

I was only surprised consevrvative states like Montana and South Dakota legalized. The country as a whole is finally seeing the War on Drugs was a hugely expensive, unjust failure. It's not just a vote to legalize drugs, it's a vote against a bogus war in which no one wins except those who profit from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey