Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:49 AM

14 posts, read 121,673 times

Advertisements

We are narrowing down our search for a home and Mount Olive seems to have the newer homes we like in our price range. I was curious, however, if there was a reason as to why so many homes were listed for sale in Woodfield Estates? Does any body have some insite as to if there is some sort of problem with the homes/neighborhood or community? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 10:17 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,889,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulgirl View Post
We are narrowing down our search for a home and Mount Olive seems to have the newer homes we like in our price range. I was curious, however, if there was a reason as to why so many homes were listed for sale in Woodfield Estates? Does any body have some insite as to if there is some sort of problem with the homes/neighborhood or community? Thanks!
Because they are seem by most people exactly as you see them. Nice, newer homes, in a neighborhood, convenient to ameneties, highways, etc. Then they buy them, live there for a couple of years, and realize that they can't stay for very long becaus of what's lacking. Space, for one thing. These are basically the same as townhouses, but instead of being attached, there's a space of 6 feet between units.

Besides, out of the roughly 350 units in that development, 28 on the market at one time isn't really that many. HIgher than you would expect, certainly, but not like an exodus.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:30 PM

127 posts, read 542,296 times
Default Do a research before you buy

The main reason why people move from Mount Olive is higher tax/value ratio compared to the towns nearby - Long Valley and Chester. For very similar houses, MO homeowners pay 10% to 20% more taxes than the residents of the other two towns. On the other hand, the schools in MO (GH-level district) are not as good as in LV (I-level) or in Chester (J-level). If you analyze all the statistics published by NJ Dept. of Education, out of 39 municipalities in Morris County, Mendham/Chester/LV schools are close to the top (84th—85th percentile) while MO schools are just below the average (46th percentile). In other words, people are not happy with the quality of the services they receive for their tax dollars – I think there was a similar discussion on this forum before. So take your time, do a VERY thorough research before you buy.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask - I live and work right next door to Mount Olive (in Chester), so I'll be happy to help you.

Quote:

Old 04-20-2008, 03:55 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,543,206 times
what's your price range OP? I grew up in Mt. Olive - it's not all it's cracked up to be! Try my area..for the extra 10 min drive, you can get so much more!

Old 04-20-2008, 04:26 PM

Oh these are those cluster homes on top of Hackettstown Mountain! I had them confused with the ones across from the lake. If you are willing to pay that much that far off Rt. 80.... you really should check out some of the surrounding areas..Hackettstown (5 mins further), Allamuchy - closer to Rt. 80, Green Twp., Frelinghuysen (don't worry, I'll teach you how to pronounce it if you move out this way: ) In your price range, you can get something fairly new..maybe even New with a private yard! Those houses are tight up there on that hill! Oh but one good thing, they overlook the nudist camp : )))))

Old 04-20-2008, 06:51 PM

14 posts, read 121,673 times
Nudist camp? Really? I am sure my husband would love that! LOLOLO
So...the homes-Woodfield Estates, look like they are close to Rt. 80-but they are not? I guess I should zoom in a bit more on map quest. I will keep looking-thanks for all the great information! Any one know of any other subdivisions of newer homes (400k range) out this way-we are super flexible as to where we go as long as the schools are good and close to major hwys to NYC.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Nudist camp? Really? I am sure my husband would love that! LOLOLO
So...the homes-Woodfield Estates, look like they are close to Rt. 80-but they are not? I guess I should zoom in a bit more on map quest. I will keep looking-thanks for all the great information! Any one know of any other subdivisions of newer homes (400k range) out this way-we are super flexible as to where we go as long as the schools are good and close to major hwys to NYC.
There is one brand new construction in Hackettstown that has been sitting forever! It is a great house..big yard. some of the houses around it are a bit small, run down but a few trees and you'll have your own private idaho! Walkable distance to town and 5 mins from Rt. 80. Thoses ones you mentioned...have you actually seen them yet? I would say about 10 mins off rt. 80? You have tons of better options - also, cluster homes... resale could kill you as you will have way too much competition! There are also resale homes across from Hackettstown hospital that I would recommend over the Meadows... 5 to 7 yr old homes...much better choice and you'll be under that 400K range and you'll get a yard! I would say Hackettstown schools are better than Mt. Olive... at least they were when I attended : ) If you need any info. on anything else you like, let me know - this is my neck of the woods : ))

Old 04-21-2008, 08:16 AM

Here's the new const. I mentioned in Hackettstown - listed at 419K but it has been on for a while - I love hackettstown...train and bus to NYC: Property media (http://new.gsmls.com/public/getMediaReport.do?mlsNum=2462227&imageCount=8 - broken link)

Old 04-21-2008, 08:20 AM

Resale in Independence twp. - next to Hackettstown 389K: Property media (http://new.gsmls.com/public/getMediaReport.do?mlsNum=2429196&imageCount=6 - broken link)

Old 04-21-2008, 08:22 AM

Just one of the resales I mentioned acroos from Hackettstown Hospital - 389K: Property media (http://new.gsmls.com/public/getMediaReport.do?mlsNum=2504409&imageCount=10 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey