Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 02:14 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times

Advertisements

Buses and light rail connect to the PATH stations. There’s also Via and Citibike. Better to use those options than drive, if you can. In fact, depending on where in JC you live, you may not want to have a car at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 08:20 PM

206 posts, read 116,600 times
Look into Paulus hook if you can afford it. It's my favorite part of JC. Full of life and vibrant city feel yet manageable. Lot of young professionals there, good diversity and good restaurants.

Even lots of young families. There is a nearby elementary school that is blue ribbon rated.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:17 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00stM0bil View Post
awesome, thanks for the input. Also, at the train station, do they have outdoor parking lots for those who live in residential and have to drive to the train station? Or are people more oriented towards taking the bus
No outdoor lots that I know of, but there are some garages within walking distance. They're expensive, though. Like at least $200/mo, probably more. Most people take a bus from surrounding neighborhoods to JSQ and then get on PATH that way. JSQ itself is a Port Authority hub, one of only three in the region (the other two being PABT in Midtown and the GWB Bus Terminal in Wash Heights) so there are a lot of buses that go directly into/out of the bus terminal or at least stop on the outside of it. There are bike racks and even a new covered indoor sorta bike locker but idk how that works.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:53 AM

33 posts, read 26,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Buses and light rail connect to the PATH stations. There’s also Via and Citibike. Better to use those options than drive, if you can. In fact, depending on where in JC you live, you may not want to have a car at all.
I did a Google Satellite view of The Heights and it seemed like there seemed to be some street parking? There's a possibility I may be wrong, though.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:33 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,006 times
Quote:
I did a Google Satellite view of The Heights and it seemed like there seemed to be some street parking? There's a possibility I may be wrong, though.
There is street parking all over JC. Most of it is zoned so you have to get a permit from the parking authority and you are only allowed to park in your specified zone. Your ability to find parking will all depend on time of day. If you come home later at night you are less likely to find street parking. Also the city has street cleaning regulations, so you'll have to move your car to the opposite side of the street several times per week.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:15 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
Quote:
There is some street parking, but you may spend 20-30 minutes circling blocks around the neighborhood looking for a spot to park at night.

If you live in the Heights and work in NYC, I'd recommend taking a bus to the PABT in NYC, or a bus to Journal Square or Hoboken to connect to PATH. Adding to the equation a 4,000-pound metal box that you have to move through traffic and then find a place to store only complicates things.

When I first moved to JC I had a car. It was a pain and it was expensive to maintain. I got rid of it as an experiment (my plan was to see how long I can stand living in JC without a car before buying another one). That was 9 years ago, and I wish I had done it long before then. I would only own a car if my job was someplace like Parsippany or Paramus, where you definitely NEED a car to get there.

Where are you moving from? What kinds of cities are you accustomed to living in?

Old 12-05-2019, 09:23 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
Also, sometime early in 2020, JC will be implementing its own Via service to provide better transit options since NJT buses aren't the best. Rides will only be $2 as if it were a bus. It won't be like Via in the city which is point to point more or less. It may require some walking to keep the routes efficient. If they implement a NYC-style Via plan (monthly or pre-paid rides), it would basically be like a bus pass.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/09...stephen-fulop/
https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/09/je...it-system.html

Old 12-05-2019, 09:44 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Don't mess with the parking authority in JC! When I was working near Exchange Place, I would see clueless people all the time looking dumbfounded at the boot on their tire when they thought they were going to get away with just parking on the street and running into a store or something without feeding the meter or parking in "permit-only" areas. At that time a few years ago, it cost $100 to get that boot removed, plus your wasted time.

All the parking lots are expensive. Nobody's going to give away for free something that carries such a premium. There are buses and light rail and PATH. Take all of that into consideration when choosing a place to live.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:25 PM

123 posts, read 236,614 times
parking is bad throughout JC, but especially in the Heights, JSQ, and Downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey