Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 04:31 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times

Advertisements

It varies, but in general crime is low in the area. You can pull up crime info for each city you are interested in, on the main page of this website (city-data.com).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 12:58 AM

70 posts, read 380,757 times
Default Need a Security Bar for Glass Sliding Door ...

During my journey of visiting dozens of communities near Edison Train station, I ran into an India family who were very nice inviting me to their 2fl condo. They said both husband and wife working at Wall St and nobody home during day time weekdays, and they got burglary last Friday. They had two doors: hallway door and unit door, how did burglar broke in ? I was curiously asking. He said the burglar came in from the Glass Sliding Door even though their unit is 2nd floor!!! He filed a police report at Edison Police Dept, and was told they should have installed a security bar for their balcany glass sliding door ... I will keep that in mind and share with newbies ...

Old 12-28-2006, 07:45 AM

512 posts, read 1,755,007 times
I never worry about crime. Just have common sense, which it appears you do. If you're worried about crime, then don't move to Newark, East Orange/Orange or Irvington.

Morris County is pretty safe.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:05 AM

170 posts, read 962,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbai View Post
Dear wjcheng,

Thanks for the info on the lifecycle of "thousands of others like me"
However, I am not gonna follow the footsteps of my fellow Indians at all....cos for one, I am not a IT professional, I am an accountant working for a Big 4 audit firm in India, and they want me to come over to NJ cos they were impressed with my work when I had gone to NJ for a short term assignment (not boasting, that is exactly what they said ).

I do know how to drive a car ( Takes about 5 minutes to get used to driving on the right hand side of the road--and anybody who has driven on Indian roads can drive ANYWHERE!!). I drove all over the North east when I was there, and boy did I love those roads--didnt come across a single cow on the road even once

Also, I would rather do without company of fellow indians in US, cos all they do is complain about how they are missing Indian culture and food in US, and when they come to India, all they do is complain about Indian heat and chaos!!!I would rather go rock climbing with my American friends (is there any scope for rock climbing in Central NJ??)and listen to Pink Floyd on my Ipod (David Gilmour, you rock!!!)

My concern is that I will be getting married in a few months time, and it may take my wife a few months to get a job, so not sure if 60K is enough for both till she gets a job.

What do you guys think, does it make sense financially?? All kinds of responses are welcome!! Thanks in advance!!

Cheers
In my opinion, your experience makes you worth a lot more than a $60,000 salary in NJ. Recent college graduates that go Big 4 in NY/NJ make $50,000 to start according to Business Week. You and your future wife will be able to get by on $60K, but with your experience you should be able to get more and be able to take advantage of everything NJ has to offer.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:00 PM

5 posts, read 10,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royceb View Post
In my opinion, your experience makes you worth a lot more than a $60,000 salary in NJ. Recent college graduates that go Big 4 in NY/NJ make $50,000 to start according to Business Week. You and your future wife will be able to get by on $60K, but with your experience you should be able to get more and be able to take advantage of everything NJ has to offer.
I am not a CPA, I am an Indian Chartered accountant (Indian equivalent of CPA) and also I do not have enough US accounting rules experience. Have been given to understand that If I become a CPA, the firm will pay more ...One major reason I am thinking of taking up the offer is to do the CPA and get some solid US GAAP experience. That should keep me in good stead when I return back to India after a few years...atleast thats the idea!!!

Old 12-30-2006, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbai View Post
Dear wjcheng,

Also, I would rather do without company of fellow indians in US, cos all they do is complain about how they are missing Indian culture and food in US, and when they come to India, all they do is complain about Indian heat and chaos!!!I would rather go rock climbing with my American friends (is there any scope for rock climbing in Central NJ??)and listen to Pink Floyd on my Ipod (David Gilmour, you rock!!!)

My concern is that I will be getting married in a few months time, and it may take my wife a few months to get a job, so not sure if 60K is enough for both till she gets a job.

Cheers
Well, this is new to me! There are lots of Indian culture activities in Greater Edison area, there are hundreds of Indian restaurants and all kinds of Indian foods in the area, according to my brother, he never heard any Indian tenants dislike the heat, in fact, his Indian tenant ran him $300 PSE&G bill in winter time because turn on 85 degrees! When NJ was in 90 degrees or even 100 in summer, his tenant's upstairs with parents visiting even told him the temperature is just about right, and they like here!!!

I guess that may be the reason why so many Indian wives and kids went back to India during cold winter time and not back till after April, and husbands team up with other husands or singles, and that culture seems to impact the housing rent in the area...

My brother said he often introduced neighbors to his Indian tenant when new to the area, and soon or later, only Indians will help each other. So, do not expect too much from Americans. Many are nice over Internet, but when come to real life. Maybe only your colleagues will talk to you during lunch time ...

If you drive, then you may consider renting a room at Piscataway, you may give Jimmy Chao a call at 732 397-8840 who posted a Room for Rent ads in Asian Food Center at Edison where I just went with my brother, that bulleting board has lots of Room for rent ads, and this only only $400 a month in a 5br house at Piscataway that include utility with washer/dryer, Internet, ...everything.

I called the number and Jimmy said he is single and own this big house and rent out 4 bedrooms to singles ...

Old 12-31-2006, 05:29 PM

Default Also, it depends on how you live ...

I just thought about your question "Is $60,000 enough?" yesterday when my brother told me his new tenant from India could not pay him rent ... due to the following facts that you may want to know:

1. His tenant does not have credit history in the US, so he said he was charge $500 deposit to get a cell phone.

2. Then, for the same token, PSE&G charged him several hundreds of dollars to open the account.

3. Then, his consulting firm send him salary from India, and Bank of American will NOT let cash till 5 working days later ...

4. He wanted to drive to visit his friend at Boston for Xmas time, he could not because Enterprise auto rental would NOT rent him a car since he does not have US credit card yet.

5. He wanted to buy furniture, but his several thousands still held by Bank of Amrican not cashable, so he still sleep on the floor with his sleeping bag.

6. His contract is short term on H1 and his wife will be here on L1 Visa, he wanted to buy a new car, but not sure if he can get a car loan without credit history.

7. No apartment complex would rent him a unit so he got stuck with his company's guest house for one and half month till my brother rent him a condo for 3 months ...

Old 01-02-2007, 12:57 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
Mumbaikar,

Yes I think this is doable on $60,000. You may have to be cheap for a little bit with your shopping, but Indian people are good with saving money (so don't worry too much) ;-). If your wife can eventually get a job, then of course that will make life much more comfortable for you.

Morristown is a very nice town with a lot of the attributes that you are looking for and has pretty good access to Parsippany by car. Morristown has a rough section, but once you go around looking for a place that will be obvious to you. The apartments near the green in Morristown are all pretty nice, with good walking access to all of the stores and restaurants in downtown Morristown.

Parsippany is a very nice town in and of itself and has a very large South Asian population, but as you said previously you don't want to live in an Indian neighborhood, so I guess Parsippany is not for you.

If you are looking for Indian restaurants there are two decent ones in Morristown (albeit expensive), and lots of good ones (some cheap, some expensive) in and around Parsippany (Veg, non-veg, southern, Pakistani kebab, etc).

Old 01-06-2007, 06:55 AM

76 posts, read 443,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjcheng View Post

4. He wanted to drive to visit his friend at Boston for Xmas time, he could not because Enterprise auto rental would NOT rent him a car since he does not have US credit card yet.

Not that this addresses the greater issue of your post, but for this particular problem, maybe you could tell your friend about the Fung Wah bus in NYC. There is a departing bus to Boston at least every hour for most of the day for only $30, round-trip. He could have taken the train to NY, and then caught the bus in Chinatown. It doesn't matter now that he could probably qualify for a rental, but I prefer the bus to driving anyway (except when someone on the bus takes a massive dump, of course).

Old 06-02-2007, 09:17 PM

276 posts, read 747,536 times
Mumbai, to be honest, your english is too good for you to have been a permanent resident of India. its not just the spelling but the diction but the syntax. are you a true indian as in a fob? your post is something i would expect from a abcd. at the minimum, an abcd MUST have written it. have you been here before, or out of India? its extremely odd that you mention Indians complaining over those features. I know this since my wife is Gujarati, and I have been to India dozens of times, and its just a strange, strange comment, and i have a lot of friends and associates in the community.

regardless, indians here help out 1 another very well. use this to your advantage, as life is hard enough. accountancy is SO HOT right now. esp in manhattan. you might have to leapfrog from company A to B to C. but get that CPA ASAP. my wifes uncle is an accountant and makes approx 150k. its that hot of a degree. additionally, 60k is peanuts. it really is. esp with a wife. the indians in parsippany are in some really nice homes, that are running around 700k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey