Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:42 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored2Day View Post
Wow, I didn't look into anything like this. My salary is below 61,000. My Ex is supposed to be paying me 500.00 a month for child support which he never does. Watch him mess me up with this. With his 500.00, it puts me over. Again, he never pays, so I am under the 61,000.00. Thank you very much for this information. I will look into it.
There are also tons of benefits available for single working moms. I posted the info. in another thread - I'll see if I can find it for you - low interest loans with minimal down payment for single working moms. I believe it's through HUD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 05:45 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
This is a great website - has the information I mentioned previously: SingleMom.com - Single Mom's Resources for Single Mother, Single Mothers' resources

Old 04-22-2008, 06:29 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Quote:
I give up on trying to find a house in NJ. Those of you who bought before the insanity should be very grateful because it sucks to be me right now. I feel like I have been everywhere within driving range to my job and either can't afford to buy or wouldn't feel safe living there or having my son go to school there. It looks like Pa unless prices drop a whole lot in the next year.
AAAAHHHH I give up. It is scary and frustrating trying to make it in NJ with a child.
Well u are not alone. Maybe all the similar people in this situation should start a club of atleast 5,000.. and we can all decide on an abandoned area of Newark or somewhere and buy it up and form a majority there and fix it up...

Old 04-22-2008, 07:00 AM

3 posts, read 5,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusher View Post
We would need to know the area your are looking in to give some suggestions. We live in Gloucester county in South Jersey where brand new 4 bedroom homes can be purchased for $300k.
Please tell me where these houses are because I have been through S. Jersey listings over and over again and I can't find a price like that for a new home.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:27 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Single Mom - teacher in South Brunswick - currently rent for 1380 per month for very nice apartment in Kingston (South Brunswick) Need to buy for around 200,000.00. Looked around Browns Mills yesterday and the drive was well over an hour to work. The only areas that are affordable are too far south. I think my best bet (where my mind is today) is to take a real close look at Bucks County, PA. I understand that the taxes are half of what we pay in NJ and I see similar developments with houses that go for 300,000 here going for low 200,000's there. The commute would be around half an hour. I need it to be safe because we are on our own and I am partially handy, but can't fix anything major so a fixer upper would end up costing me a fortune which I do not have. The ex-hubbie pretty much really screwed us up financially behind my back a few years ago and now I find myself alone and really struggling. Blah Blah Blah So, you see...my options are limited.
You should have DM'd me to let me know you'd be down. If you came into Country Lakes, you probably drove by my house.

What are the chances of you finding a teaching job down here?
As for the drive, there are a ton of ways to get there from here, I can get you to exit 8 - 8a going back roads.

Be sure to really research moving to PA as I hear there are hidden taxes, there also may be more if you are living there and working here. There was a large post on another board I go to where someone listed everything and found it was no cheaper to move there after doing the math.

Apparently your support is not going through probation. You need to get that set up asap. You can find the info here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenny View Post
Please tell me where these houses are because I have been through S. Jersey listings over and over again and I can't find a price like that for a new home.
There are a lot of builders in Gloucester county. You can find most here. Hubby & I have walked just about every new home there and found one builder we liked, Richmond homes and bought there. You have to pay attention to everything when you walk a model home as most are doing really crappy work.

Some builders do not list in the magazines. For that you want to do a google search. Sign up at all of the sites and ask for info.

Here's the link to Richmond (http://www.richmondamerican.com/default - broken link). We ended up in Willow Woods, it starts in the $290's with the Austin found on page 2. You can usually get a deal on houses that someone else spec'd out. Paparone also did nice work but his houses were blah compared to Richmond.

Good luck, if you need more info feel free to DM me.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:40 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Well u are not alone. Maybe all the similar people in this situation should start a club of atleast 5,000.. and we can all decide on an abandoned area of Newark or somewhere and buy it up and form a majority there and fix it up...
I'm liking that idea

Old 04-22-2008, 07:50 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Wow, I didn't look into anything like this. My salary is below 61,000. My Ex is supposed to be paying me 500.00 a month for child support which he never does. Watch him mess me up with this. With his 500.00, it puts me over. Again, he never pays, so I am under the 61,000.00. Thank you very much for this information. I will look into it.
Hope it works out for you. Few people think about it because the assumption is that it is a program like Section 8 when it is really geared towards lower middle class workers who are priced out.
South Brunswick and other surrounding towns also have some housing, I just know that East Brunswick is more conscientious about ensuring they build it regularly. You will probably need to check with each town and fill out income forms with the state. Worth the effort though for the peace of mind and chance to get back on your feet.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:56 PM

240 posts, read 947,882 times
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Here is East Brunswicks info on affordable housing:

EB Online: Affordable Housing (http://www.eastbrunswick.org/departments/planningengineering/housing_affordable_housing.asp - broken link)

Moderate income amounts for a family of 2 is around $61,000. The developments are nice, worth looking into.

Thank you very much! I had heard of low income housing but not "moderate" income. I just filled out six preliminary applications and will keep my fingers crossed to see what happens next. They are all in Middlesex County. I was over the limit in all other counties. I actually made the Middlesex cutoff by just $87.00! Thanks again!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
This is a great website - has the information I mentioned previously: SingleMom.com - Single Mom's Resources for Single Mother, Single Mothers' resources
Thanks! It is a GREAT website!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Sounds like a great idea. (As you can see from the fact that I keep posting separately-I haven't quite figured out how to answer more than one quote at a time. Sorry for taking up four posts!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey