Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 08:36 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The municipal portion hoax is a hoax. But I thought that was put to rest years ago. It has been disproven so many times that I didn’t think it would ever be popping up again.

It was started by people who didn’t like Christy and didn’t want to give him a win. Then it was repeated by people like yourself. But it is a lie. It is the total property tax bill, not just the municipal portion.

In fact, aren’t you the same person who tried to claim this years ago, and we proved you wrong?

So what happened? Did you think that enough time went by that we would forget? Did you think this misinformation would suddenly work now, when it didn't work years ago?

Or did you really just forget the fact that you were wrong?

<edit>. Most of our towns have had votes on whether or not to raise school funding above the cap on a particular year (or years), so how could you possibly think this lie would work?

The first time, I did think you probably got duped at the time, but the second time seems deliberate. Maybe try this again in another 5 years. Maybe it will work then.
Relax, man. Let's take a few deep breaths. Did Santa not give you what you wanted for Christmas? I can tell you my property taxes have increased by more than 2%. I have done the math. That's why I call BS on the cap, and the cap is misleading.

Here is an article from 2017:

https://www.app.com/story/news/2017/...flaw/99299732/

"Due to cap exceptions already in place -- for increased costs for pensions, health benefits, debt, construction and emergencies -- property tax hikes already top 2 percent in more than 40 percent of New Jersey municipalities each year. "

Last edited by ansky; 12-26-2019 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 09:50 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Relax, man. Let's take a few deep breaths. Did Santa not give you what you wanted for Christmas? I can tell you my property taxes have increased by more than 2%. I have done the math. That's why I call BS on the cap, and the cap is misleading.

Here is an article from 2017:

https://www.app.com/story/news/2017/...flaw/99299732/

"Due to cap exceptions already in place -- for increased costs for pensions, health benefits, debt, construction and emergencies -- property tax hikes already top 2 percent in more than 40 percent of New Jersey municipalities each year. "
Yes. The exceptions. The ones that the democrats in the assembly insisted upon in order to pass the bill.

That is totally different than saying the cap only includes the municipal portion, which is completely false.

Some years, some districts will have a higher increase because of the exceptions, but the fact remains that the average tax increase has been 1.9%. So the majority of people have been within the 2% cap, which is a lot better than the average increase under Corzine and prior to that.

Add up all the savings every year since the cap was installed, compounded, and just about everyone is paying a lot less in property taxes than they would have been paying without the cap.

If I reacted strongly, I apologize, but clearly, just showing you the data last time did not have much of an impact.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:14 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Christie immediately did away with the Homestead Rebates that I enjoyed under Corzine

More like: Murphy immediately did away with the Homestead Rebate amount that was enjoyed under Christie.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:58 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
I wonder how you guys feel about the insanely high property taxes in Westchester and Nassau counties of NYS, Fairfield county of CT? This is not a NJ problem. This is a problem of being within an hour and half commute to Manhattan. So while I am employed, I am absolutely fine with them as I enjoy where I am living and don't want to move...

Last edited by DefiantNJ; 12-26-2019 at 12:02 PM..

Old 12-26-2019, 11:38 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
There are towns close to nyc in Bergen county with low to very low property taxes. Englewood cliffs, alpine, rockLeigh, single family houses in edgewater. The catch is the purchase prices are higher than surrounding communities. The market makes sure there are no real bargains but if you want rock bottom property taxes you can find it.

1 acre, 20 min to gwb, taxes 3k
https://www.njmls.com/m/detail.cfm?m...6&dayssince=15

Last edited by foodyum; 12-26-2019 at 11:56 AM..

Old 12-26-2019, 12:19 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
There are towns close to nyc in Bergen county with low to very low property taxes. Englewood cliffs, alpine, rockLeigh, single family houses in edgewater. The catch is the purchase prices are higher than surrounding communities. The market makes sure there are no real bargains but if you want rock bottom property taxes you can find it.

Except that the money you pay towards a mortgage, minus the interest, is going right into your investment. Eventually you get that back, and hopefully a lot more. The money you pay in taxes is gone for good. From a financial standpoint if you are budgeting $6000 a month for your home, you are better off with a high mortgage and low taxes than vice versa.

I know of areas with beautiful homes, going for relatively cheap, because nobody who understands this, wants to pay the incredibly high taxes. And even though the asking price is so low, they still sit on the market for a long time.

Old 12-26-2019, 12:57 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:

Oops my bad. Taxes 10k when including property in ny state. Still not terrible for big house, big property, good schools, not far from nyc. I can pull up other examples if anyone is interested.

Old 12-26-2019, 02:41 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Oops my bad. Taxes 10k when including property in ny state. Still not terrible for big house, big property, good schools, not far from nyc. I can pull up other examples if anyone is interested.
"Come over to my house. We're having a party in NY this weekend. In the backyard. After party's in NJ - in the living room."

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-26-2019, 02:48 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
More like: Murphy immediately did away with the Homestead Rebate amount that was enjoyed under Christie.
So, apparently I was hallucinating when the rebate was credited to my property tax account?

Old 12-26-2019, 03:50 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,054 times
i mean... who doesn't love giving their disposable or not-so-disposable income to the government? it's pretty awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey