Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 07:47 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
high tax in NJ is indicative of legal and illegal corruption, fraud and incompetence by elected legislators and entrenched bureaucrats that continues as a legacy of poor voter choice and lack of voting participation.... on a municipal, county and state level.

IMO: And (in no offense to anyone reading this) they think we're all stupid for voting and letting this keep on happening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 08:09 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It all depends on what quality of life means to someone. I have friends who moved out west years ago and are happy there. Another friend moved just four years ago to the suburbs of Nashville after living her life in Bergen County (her husband's job was relocated). She has the big-ass brick colonial with a large yard she always wanted for far less than it would cost in NJ. To me it's weird, because like me she is 61 and her only kid is grown, so what's the need for the big-ass brick colonial and now you're sweating in the humidity of the South and the claim to fame of your "city" is country music. But that is HER idea of quality of life.

My quality of life is very different from either here or there, but for now, I'm tied to family obligations in NJ.

But you are right about job prospects. I was relatively successful in my career for someone without a college education, and I am not sure that could have occurred elsewhere.
i was just in nashville and that place is awesome. the night life was crazy with huge bars with live music everywhere. lots of good food options. i could definitely see myself happily moving there.

im stuck because of family, friends and employment. fortunately, i earn enough that the high costs are manageable. but i would think lots of people would leave if they didnt have such attachments and had the ability to earn good money elsewhere. i know a lot of people work from home a lot so that should open up moving to better places.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:11 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
When you consolidate services you save on taxes by eliminating redundant jobs. Most of these municipal jobs in NJ are under a union stronghold, so there is virtually no chance of ever seeing consolidation. Here in NJ we are the last state in the country that won't allow us to pump our own gas, because as our legislators have noted, this would mean eliminating too many gas attendant jobs

Old 12-19-2019, 09:19 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Chiming in from NYC

Look at the NYC suburbs

Nassau and Suffolk counties have their own police force, but if you live in a village within either one of those counties, the villages have their own separate police forces too, that's so stupid.

That's like if NYC had NYPD, but the Bronx also had its own police force, so should Manhattan, Brooklyn, etc.

Bottom line is whoever's profiting knows what they're doing!

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-19-2019, 09:26 AM

im guessing that this consolidation concept would save a lot less money than people think. its something to just throw out there to give people something to complain about and avoid dealing with real issues that people dont want to complain about (like reducing head count and responsibilities of government).

Old 12-19-2019, 09:52 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im guessing that this consolidation concept would save a lot less money than people think. its something to just throw out there to give people something to complain about and avoid dealing with real issues that people dont want to complain about (like reducing head count and responsibilities of government).
As I just noted in post #23 above, the whole premise of consolidation is to reduce headcount. That's why people fight it, particularly those that would be directly impacted. If you merge 3 school districts you probably need about the same number of teachers, but you don't need 3 superintendents each making 200K per year.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:37 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i was just in nashville and that place is awesome. the night life was crazy with huge bars with live music everywhere. lots of good food options. i could definitely see myself happily moving there.

im stuck because of family, friends and employment. fortunately, i earn enough that the high costs are manageable. but i would think lots of people would leave if they didnt have such attachments and had the ability to earn good money elsewhere. i know a lot of people work from home a lot so that should open up moving to better places.
That is true. With the ability to work remotely increasing, people will have the option to move elsewhere for work. My niece lives in MA and married a guy from Montreal. He does something with IT and can work from home, so it was no problem for him to move down to the Boston area (once they got the green card thing going, of course.)

Yes, I could see live music being a big thing in Nashville. Good point. I've never been there so I'm going on the stereotypes in my head, lol.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:40 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Chiming in from NYC

Look at the NYC suburbs

Nassau and Suffolk counties have their own police force, but if you live in a village within either one of those counties, the villages have their own separate police forces too, that's so stupid.

That's like if NYC had NYPD, but the Bronx also had its own police force, so should Manhattan, Brooklyn, etc.

Bottom line is whoever's profiting knows what they're doing!
We sort of have that here, too. Most municipalities have police forces (but not mine--State Troopers are my police) but there are also county police under "Sheriffs". So, we've got state, county, and local cops.

Then the public agencies like NJ Transit and The Port Authority have their own police forces (PAPD also belong to both NY and NJ State police so that if they start chasing you on the Jersey side of the HT, they can arrest you on the NY side. )

Old 12-19-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
As I just noted in post #23 above, the whole premise of consolidation is to reduce headcount. That's why people fight it, particularly those that would be directly impacted. If you merge 3 school districts you probably need about the same number of teachers, but you don't need 3 superintendents each making 200K per year.
you could reduce headcount even if you didnt consolidate. its known that people dont want to consolidate so its an easy way to pretend like you cant reduce head count because people oppose consolidation.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I could see live music being a big thing in Nashville. Good point. I've never been there so I'm going on the stereotypes in my head, lol.
i first visited about 15 years ago when my brother was working there. it was such a nice place with so much great food and the people were so much better looking than here and completely "modern." there was no "redneck" vibe, these were people who would look perfectly normal here. the trip helped shape my views that we are being fed bs stereotypes here about "fly over" territory and other places to develop a false sense of superiority. we loved it there.

the more people travel out to these other places the more they will realize that other places have a lot of the stuff we have and many have more to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey