Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 09:44 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,784 times

Advertisements

I am online looking at similar homes in East Windsor and Hightstown, and the taxes are at least 33% higher.
$11,000 vs $8,800

That is not trivial.

So, it looks like if you are buy in Hightstown you may have a hard time selling it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 10:09 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,005 times
Looking at the budgets, East Windsor has a tax rate of .43 and brings in 12 million dollars.
Highstown has a tax rate of 1.29 and brings in 5 million dollars.

Therefore, the answer points to population and then I found out it's 27,000 people vs 5,000 people, each of which is covering a similar baseline of fire trucks and police cars and town services but it's spread over a very different number of people. I would imagine people in Highstown don't have a hard time selling it because of the scarcity, similar to how people in Glen Ridge manage to sell their houses that have a higher tax rate than neighboring Montclair.

https://www.east-windsor.nj.us/media...y%20Budget.pdf
https://www.hightstownborough.com/wp...dly-Budget.pdf

Old 01-14-2020, 02:24 PM

Thank you.
I am not that good with data.

Are you saying that people willingly pay more to live in Hightstown even though the taxes are higher?

Old 01-14-2020, 07:38 PM

98 posts, read 117,016 times
Well I just brought a property in East Windsor, but when I was looking Highstown house prices are cheaper

Old 01-14-2020, 08:57 PM

I'm saying that people look at homes in Highstown with an awareness that their smaller town is going to result in them paying higher taxes.

However, higher taxes do not always correlate to higher home prices, as the next poster mentions. Sometimes comps are cheaper because the taxes are higher making the overall price comparable. However, the mortgage isn't going to go up but taxes likely will, so over time a Highstown home that costs less with more taxes will likely cost more as taxes go up, you just won't see it for ten years or so.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
so over time a Highstown home that costs less with more taxes will likely cost more as taxes go up, you just won't see it for ten years or so.

If the price difference = $75K and the tax difference = $4K, it would take 18.75 years. not bad.
But this is only true if the difference remains $4K.
Hightstown may raise the taxes more than East Windsor.

At this point, I am concerned that the Hightstown taxes will be so high that when I need to sell that I can't sell.
As a seller, I can't lower the taxes, but I can lower the price so that I am selling it at a loss just to "get rid" of the house.

Your thoughts?

Old 01-15-2020, 05:03 PM

98 posts, read 117,016 times
Curious, why are you looking at hightstown to live? Just wanted to know

Old 01-15-2020, 05:47 PM

People don't buy homes because of what the taxes are, that's something they can't control. They buy because the home has the right number/combination of rooms and is in the right location.

Case in point, taxes on the home you're looking at were lower when the current owners bought, what brings you to look at their house?

New Jersey is atypical for national home sales trends, most houses sitting unsold aren't because of the taxes, they're because the home is priced too high. When we bought we offered 10% less than the asking because the exact same house right next door had sold six months before at what we were asking for. The one we bought had sat unsold because the seller wanted more money they were never going to get.

Price your house right and it will sell, the taxes don't get into it when the whole town is paying the same.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HastroX View Post
Curious, why are you looking at hightstown to live? Just wanted to know
I can afford some houses in East Windsor and Hightstown.

West Windsor and points west are beyond my means.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:44 PM

195 posts, read 135,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
People don't buy homes because of what the taxes are, that's something they can't control. They buy because the home has the right number/combination of rooms and is in the right location.

Case in point, taxes on the home you're looking at were lower when the current owners bought, what brings you to look at their house?

New Jersey is atypical for national home sales trends, most houses sitting unsold aren't because of the taxes, they're because the home is priced too high. When we bought we offered 10% less than the asking because the exact same house right next door had sold six months before at what we were asking for. The one we bought had sat unsold because the seller wanted more money they were never going to get.

Price your house right and it will sell, the taxes don't get into it when the whole town is paying the same.
taxes and “priced to high” are kinda related? especially with single family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey