U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2020, 10:01 AM

9 posts, read 5,313 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I've searched the threads but didn't find that much on Glen Rock.
Looking to possibly move there and buy a house. We currently live on Long Island and moved here from Canada.

GR looks like a decent town, pretty quiet. We went to see some open houses there recently.
My questions are:
-Is there a sense of community in town? Is it easy to meet people? We have an almost 6 year old.
-I keep reading that schools are above average there, but in terms of test scores some of Fair Lawn elementary schools seem to be doing better. Also the middle school and high school don't seem to have amazing test scores. I wonder what universities do students end up in after Glen Rock schools? Columbia? Penn? Or less know colleges?
- The commute seems somehow decent to Manhattan, but is it in reality? Are trains on time or delayed?
-Also, are there more desirable areas of GR than others?
- What is the population like? A mix or any predominant groups?

If we move and buy we would commit to staying there for at least 5 plus years. Speaking to our real estate agent, it seems that real estate appreciation is not the greatest there (around 2 %) and prices reached more or less the maximum. In comparison, our house in Canada has appreciated 33 % in 5 years and keeps going up. Wondering if there are similar areas anyone can recommend with good schools that may have a better potential?

Thank you, Marge
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 10:34 AM

67,500 posts, read 62,994,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margekr View Post
Hi everyone, I've searched the threads but didn't find that much on Glen Rock.
Looking to possibly move there and buy a house. We currently live on Long Island and moved here from Canada.

GR looks like a decent town, pretty quiet. We went to see some open houses there recently.
My questions are:
-Is there a sense of community in town? Is it easy to meet people? We have an almost 6 year old.
-I keep reading that schools are above average there, but in terms of test scores some of Fair Lawn elementary schools seem to be doing better. Also the middle school and high school don't seem to have amazing test scores. I wonder what universities do students end up in after Glen Rock schools? Columbia? Penn? Or less know colleges?
- The commute seems somehow decent to Manhattan, but is it in reality? Are trains on time or delayed?
-Also, are there more desirable areas of GR than others?
- What is the population like? A mix or any predominant groups?

If we move and buy we would commit to staying there for at least 5 plus years. Speaking to our real estate agent, it seems that real estate appreciation is not the greatest there (around 2 %) and prices reached more or less the maximum. In comparison, our house in Canada has appreciated 33 % in 5 years and keeps going up. Wondering if there are similar areas anyone can recommend with good schools that may have a better potential?

Thank you, Marge
Can't answer all of the questions, but I can answer some.

Yes, I do believe there is a sense of community there. It was some years ago, but I had a short stint with the local Glen Rock paper doing some articles on local community activities. Most of the affluent towns like Glen Rock have a lot of local activities going on for families and kids.

Can't answer the questions about the schools and colleges, but I'm a bit surprised that they don't have great test scores. I always thought that was supposed to be one of the draws about the town, competing with better-known Ridgewood next door but maybe a lilttle behind.

Of course, it depends on your kid, too. My daughter did very well coming out of the nearby town of Midland Park, which I'm sure is beneath your standards from the sound of it. (Smaller town, less fixated on affluence and its trimmings, schools not rated as high as GR or Ridgewood.)

Most of NW Bergen County is long-established and built up, so I don't think you'll find big differences in real estate appreciation, but I'm not an expert on that subject, so you could get better info from a RE person in the area.

I commuted to the city from Ridgewood, the one stop before GR inbound, for decades. The trains are frequent and usually on time. Glen Rock has two stations because two separate commuter lines run through it.

You're not going to find peameal sandwiches or chip trucks or buttertarts anywhere in the area, though, sorry, and the nearest Canadian Tire is over the Thousand Islands crossing in Ganonoque. Oh, and no one will understand what you want if you say you want to get your eavestroughs cleaned.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:12 AM

9 posts, read 5,313 times
Thank you, I appreciate your insight.
I'm still trying to figure out the educational system here, as it's different than Canada, and yes I agree that a lot depends on the child. I'm a former teacher

I usually look at the data from the department of education from the state of NJ which varies from websites like Niche etc.
https://www.nj.gov/education/pr/1415/03/031760050.pdf

Since real estate and taxes are already pretty high there just trying to make sure it's worth the investment and that we will settle and be happy there

Haha I don't miss Canadian food that much. It's pretty much the same.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margekr View Post
Thank you, I appreciate your insight.
I'm still trying to figure out the educational system here, as it's different than Canada, and yes I agree that a lot depends on the child. I'm a former teacher

I usually look at the data from the department of education from the state of NJ which varies from websites like Niche etc.
https://www.nj.gov/education/pr/1415/03/031760050.pdf

Since real estate and taxes are already pretty high there just trying to make sure it's worth the investment and that we will settle and be happy there

Haha I don't miss Canadian food that much. It's pretty much the same.
Yes, the food isn't that different, but when I started going up there regularly and saw chip trucks, I was upset that we don't have them in New Jersey. Where I go they're all closed for the winter now anyway.

I don't blame you for wanting to do thorough research before moving. Good luck, and I hope you find a place that works out well for you and your family.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:34 AM

16,412 posts, read 19,817,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You're not going to find peameal sandwiches or chip trucks or buttertarts anywhere in the area
... and Poutine is pretty hard to find in this neck of the woods.

Old 01-15-2020, 04:38 PM

2,027 posts, read 1,089,474 times
A high school classmate recently retired from a job as a letter carrier in Glen Rock. The people on her route got together and had a party for her. I got the feeling there was quite a sense of community.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:38 PM

583 posts, read 1,296,647 times
you are over analyzing. Glen Rock attracts a lot of professionals like lawyers, doctors, financial analysts, etc. The schools are good and the town is similar to Ridgewood, just a lot smaller. The taxes are high and the housing stock tends to be older. Paramus is a good option since it has low taxes, good schools, and the housing stock is better if you prefer newer. Fair Lawn for example is very different in appearance compared to Glen Rock and Paramus for example. It's a more low middle class to mid middle class town.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:05 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,738,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
you are over analyzing. Glen Rock attracts a lot of professionals like lawyers, doctors, financial analysts, etc. The schools are good and the town is similar to Ridgewood, just a lot smaller. The taxes are high and the housing stock tends to be older. Paramus is a good option since it has low taxes, good schools, and the housing stock is better if you prefer newer. Fair Lawn for example is very different in appearance compared to Glen Rock and Paramus for example. It's a more low middle class to mid middle class town.
There is not a large difference in affluence between Fair Lawn and Paramus... median HHI and school performance is close between the two towns. Yes, Paramus is a bit nicer looking, has more high-end housing options, and is quite a bit more expensive than Fair Lawn, but a solid part of that is attributable to Paramus’ significantly lower tax rate.

As for Glen Rock... it’s a great town with great schools. While I don’t think it’s ever been a poor town, its rise into super affluence is a phenomenon of the past 30 years or so... everyone priced out of Ridgewood started moving there, I guess.

The only flaws are the town has lived in the shadow of Ridgewood for eons, and the overall housing stock isn’t quite as super fancy as that in the old money towns, like Ridgewood. It’s a wealthy town these days (median HHI has been close to Ridgewood’s for quite a while now), but you won’t find many mansions like in Ridgewood, Saddle River, etc.

It’s a good bet. So is Paramus, and so is Fair Lawn.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:46 PM

What I like about Glen Rock is that it has a lot of well-kept older houses on properties with mature trees. It's nicer than the newer-looking houses built on old farmland or otherwise completely cleared lots you find in some of the other NW Bergen towns.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:39 AM

565 posts, read 560,621 times
The link for test scores you have posted here is outdated. It's the 2014-2015 school year. The state is burying last year's scores on their webpage a bit. They changed the name from PARCC to NJSLA, and now you can get detail reports on the 2018-2019 school year here: https://www.nj.gov/education/schools...ring/index.htm

I use the Access Database for data related to my job, but you can also click each individual grade level and do a ctrl F search for the schools you are interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey