Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 10:24 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times

Advertisements

Moved from Houston, TX to NNJ 20 years ago... No regrets.

It is significany more expensive to love and raise a family here. Your rent budget may be tight depending on your expectations.... Maybe start with the Parsippany area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 04:58 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Moving to NJ is lowering the quality of your life. You're not going to find a decent school near the city anywhere unless you're paying in millions.
While it is surely more expensive here, this statement is false and misleading. We happily moved from Austin, TX to to Bergen County, NJ and paid under 600K with excellent schools.

Last edited by Idlewile; 02-10-2020 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: Added more info

Old 02-10-2020, 08:22 AM

5,068 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
While it is surely more expensive here, this statement is false and misleading. We happily moved from Austin, TX to to Bergen County, NJ and paid under 600K with excellent schools.

There's one other consideration no one has touched on, and that's kids' programs. A big part of our spending we never anticipated was the cost of having the kids join youth programs, and with three kids (like we have) it gets expensive. Here's a sample run-down:

PAL (Police Athletic League) Football - $175 per kid for 2 kids, plus $50 each for jerseys and some spare change for mouth-guards, cleats, etc. Total about $500 a year.
Swimming - elementary and middle school level - about $400 per session of lessons per kid for 2 kids, two sessions per year. Plus goggles, suits, etc. Summer swim program - $800.
Summer swim - YMCA pool membership $500. Swim team registration $150 per kid for three kids. Plus team suits about $50 each. Approx. $1,000.
High school swim - $150 sports registration, Booster Club dues $30, kicking in for donations, team spirit wear, etc. About $220.
PAL Lacrosse - $175 for one kid. All the gear (ouch!!), membership in USA Lacrosse $30, team uniform $70. A series of lessons, since son #1 joined late - $225. A lovely $700.
Music lessons - I can't even tally, but we're talking thousands. We finally ended them because we just couldn't afford it, and I'm really sad about it. Kids are happy, lol. At least they play well enough that they're able to join band in school and all we pay for now are T-shirts.

So unless you're planning on having your kids sit at home, plan on some increased expenses for them. I never dreamed we'd be forking over between $3500 and $6000 a year on things for them to do.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:28 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
There's one other consideration no one has touched on, and that's kids' programs. A big part of our spending we never anticipated was the cost of having the kids join youth programs, and with three kids (like we have) it gets expensive. Here's a sample run-down:

PAL (Police Athletic League) Football - $175 per kid for 2 kids, plus $50 each for jerseys and some spare change for mouth-guards, cleats, etc. Total about $500 a year.
Swimming - elementary and middle school level - about $400 per session of lessons per kid for 2 kids, two sessions per year. Plus goggles, suits, etc. Summer swim program - $800.
Summer swim - YMCA pool membership $500. Swim team registration $150 per kid for three kids. Plus team suits about $50 each. Approx. $1,000.
High school swim - $150 sports registration, Booster Club dues $30, kicking in for donations, team spirit wear, etc. About $220.
PAL Lacrosse - $175 for one kid. All the gear (ouch!!), membership in USA Lacrosse $30, team uniform $70. A series of lessons, since son #1 joined late - $225. A lovely $700.
Music lessons - I can't even tally, but we're talking thousands. We finally ended them because we just couldn't afford it, and I'm really sad about it. Kids are happy, lol. At least they play well enough that they're able to join band in school and all we pay for now are T-shirts.

So unless you're planning on having your kids sit at home, plan on some increased expenses for them. I never dreamed we'd be forking over between $3500 and $6000 a year on things for them to do.
This is certainly true.... I'm forking about $800 a month for various activities for 3 children. Daycare for twins was more than my mortgage.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:30 AM

141 posts, read 243,876 times
OP never stated what city/area he will be working, that surely would help. He went from "Preferably central or northern Jersey city". We need better info. But for what you said and budget, checkout Union.

Old 01-10-2021, 02:09 AM

6 posts, read 3,731 times
Good afternoon! I am sorry, but I do not think 2k will be enough for renting an apartment. You should not be afraid after living in Texas. I can't recommend you any area because there a lot of good ones (some of them were already mentioned here in comments), but I would friendly recommend you a reliable daycare center. It is called Little Scholars children care Brooklyn. My kids enjoy that place a lot. They have an amazing educational program with art classes and funny stuff. I think you will be able to afford it because they do not really charge a lot compared with others. And the most important is the communication between daycare providers and kids. You'll like it.

Old 01-10-2021, 06:45 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post

You still pay that even with COVID and all activities canceled?

Old 01-10-2021, 10:15 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,125 times
Unless there is a pressing family emergency/crisis or a job offer well into the six figures, moving here from Texas sounds insane to me. Texas is a booming state with new and well-maintained infrastructure, lower taxes and cheaper homes. I would move anywhere between the Dallas and San Antonio corridor (not a fan of Houston) in a heartbeat!

I would check out Garfield or Clifton and prep the kids to all share a bedroom or have one sleep on a sofa bed in the living room. Good luck.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:46 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
You still pay that even with COVID and all activities canceled?
All activities aren't cancelled. My daughters are presently in sewing, dancing, tennis and gymnastics. The recital last spring was the best one ever since we only watched out own kids, didn't need to sit 4+ hours for everyone.

I wish the school would do the play since my older daughter does that. It's more difficult with the school since they have various forces keeping things limited.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:20 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
This could get more traction as families in Texas will slowly get priced out of certain areas and move here for job opportunities. Plenty of onsite jobs here that pay way better than Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey