Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 10:14 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times

Advertisements

To me, New Jersey is farms, orchards, vineyards, wetlands, beaches, (even bay beaches) crabs and shellfish. It is lighthouses, Revolutionary War battlefields and overgrown cemeteries in the woods.

There is a lot of reserved and preserved land. Considering that it's a small, densely populated state, I think that they've done a spectacular job of saving parts of it. Huge parts of it. That would be the Pine Barrens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 10:26 PM

298 posts, read 341,490 times
Because a lot of people have never seen the entire state.. which is quite diverse in its landscapes. If all you've ever seen of NJ is the industrialized wasteland along the NJ Turnpike, then yeah you would think it's awful. But once you visit High Point State Park, and all the wild places in the highlands of Warren and HUnterdon counties... if you see the lovely towns in Somersety county, the tall thick trees of Bergen county, the beaches and Island Beach State park, the Pine Barrens, there is much more to NJ than meets the eye.

I lived in Western NJ for 10 years and I loved being near the Delaware River, HUnterdon which is mostly horse farms and small family farms is great for cycling, hiking and cross country skiing in winter. Plus there are nice small villages and towns all over New Jersey.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:46 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Many NYers think Queens or Staten Island has a bad rep. Ignorance is bliss.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:06 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicdoug View Post
Because a lot of people have never seen the entire state.. which is quite diverse in its landscapes. If all you've ever seen of NJ is the industrialized wasteland.. then yeah you would think it's awful.
yeah.. the narrow, negative stereotype of Jersey is gonna be a state that is only Camden & Atlantic City..

Old 02-03-2020, 10:27 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
yeah.. the narrow, negative stereotype of Jersey is gonna be a state that is only Camden & Atlantic City...
... plus whatever one can see or smell while traveling on the stretch of the NJ Turnpike that passes through Woodbridge, Carteret, Linden, Elizabeth, and Newark.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:08 AM

25,729 posts, read 12,800,389 times
When I think of New Jersey, I think of; tatoos, smokers, people who talk loud and curse a lot, Guido mentality, high property taxes, local gov't corruption, organized crime, beaches with loud boomboxes blaring, Thousands of small cities each with their own police/fire, cold weather...mostly bad stuff.

We have family there, and I refuse to return to visit them again. My wife goes alone instead, and when she returns, she tell me most of her friends are unhappy there, and want to leave as fast as they can. I read that 41% of NJ resident would leave, if they could.

Parts of the Jersey Shore are nice, and I suppose rural ag Jersey's less offensive than crowded areas, but I'm sorry to say, its easy for me to understand the flood of New Jersey plates on cars I see down here in Florida every day. Some days, I see more NJ tags down here than all other states combined.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:21 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
When I think of New Jersey, I think of; (sic) tatoos (sic), smokers, people who talk loud (sic) and curse a lot, Guido mentality, high property taxes, local gov't corruption, organized crime, beaches with loud boomboxes blaring
When I think of Florida, I think of:
GIANT flying cockroaches (Alias Palmetto Bugs), wandering alligators, rampant and rapidly multiplying Burmese Pythons, Herpes-infected wild monkeys, thousands of toothless Methamphetamine addicts, and scores of bizarre "bath salts" addicts.
And yet, I don't choose to invade Florida forums in order to remind those folks of these... wonderful... features of daily life in their state.

If you like, I can post links verifying all of those... wonderful... parts of daily life in The Sunshine State.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:34 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
To me, New Jersey is farms, orchards, vineyards, wetlands, beaches, (even bay beaches) crabs and shellfish. It is lighthouses, Revolutionary War battlefields and overgrown cemeteries in the woods.

There is a lot of reserved and preserved land. Considering that it's a small, densely populated state, I think that they've done a spectacular job of saving parts of it. Huge parts of it. That would be the Pine Barrens.
A few years ago on Old Monmouth Weekend (first weekend in May), when all of the historical sites are open, I drove out to the western part of the county to see Historic Walnford out in Allentown, NJ.

I was gratified to see how many signs I passed that proclaimed land as Preserved Farmland. The eastern part of the county is overbuilt and crowded and getting worse, but even so, the county had the foresight to set a lot of land aside for parks. I understand that the Monmouth County Park System is nationally recognized.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:36 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
When I think of New Jersey, I think of; tatoos, smokers, people who talk loud and curse a lot, Guido mentality, high property taxes, local gov't corruption, organized crime, beaches with loud boomboxes blaring, Thousands of small cities each with their own police/fire, cold weather...mostly bad stuff.

We have family there, and I refuse to return to visit them again. My wife goes alone instead, and when she returns, she tell me most of her friends are unhappy there, and want to leave as fast as they can. I read that 41% of NJ resident would leave, if they could.

Parts of the Jersey Shore are nice, and I suppose rural ag Jersey's less offensive than crowded areas, but I'm sorry to say, its easy for me to understand the flood of New Jersey plates on cars I see down here in Florida every day. Some days, I see more NJ tags down here than all other states combined.
Geez, couldn't you come up with any stupider stereotypes than this?

Is it really bliss?

Old 02-03-2020, 11:53 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
When I think of Florida, I think of:
GIANT flying cockroaches (Alias Palmetto Bugs), wandering alligators, rampant and rapidly multiplying Burmese Pythons, Herpes-infected wild monkeys, thousands of toothless Methamphetamine addicts, and scores of bizarre "bath salts" addicts.
And yet, I don't choose to invade Florida forums in order to remind those folks of these... wonderful... features of daily life in their state.

If you like, I can post links verifying all of those... wonderful... parts of daily life in The Sunshine State.
Don't forget the scary elderly drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey