Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 07:16 AM

387 posts, read 616,312 times

Advertisements

Driving within ShortHills I noticed all sections seem different, eg how wide or narrow roads are, some are well kept while others have potholes! But that’s just one apparent thing. What factors differentiate neighborhoods within ShortHills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 08:28 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingon View Post
Driving within ShortHills I noticed all sections seem different, eg how wide or narrow roads are, some are well kept while others have potholes! But that’s just one apparent thing. What factors differentiate neighborhoods within ShortHills?
??? What do you mean? Wide roads = main streets....narrow roads = side street or neighborhood.

Pretty sure all towns have a few streets with a pothole here and there.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:13 AM

49 posts, read 39,981 times
Quote:
I would be careful in the areas with potholes, probably not good areas of town.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhock3y View Post
I would be careful in the areas with potholes, probably not good areas of town.
.................you have never been to Short Hills

Old 02-25-2020, 07:50 AM

538 posts, read 733,404 times
I've noticed sometimes that rich areas that are largely directly in charge of their spending often don't keep the roads up as well as a lot of other areas. If you drive trough Fieldston in the Bronx usually the roads tend to be worse than the areas of Riverdale around it.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:00 PM

G1 ... Thank you oh 'wise' one. I didn't realize that!

Some of the streets in SH are wide enough to allow one vehicle to pass at any time. Considering the reputation of SH I was not expecting it. Quite a few roads are in a condition that require repairs while there are sections eg Hartshorn drive/road that are well paved!

Unless you have something meaningful to add grace other threads where they need characters like you for comic relief.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
G1 ... Thank you oh 'wise' one. I didn't realize that!

Some of the streets in SH are wide enough to allow one vehicle to pass at any time. Considering the reputation of SH I was not expecting it. Quite a few roads are in a condition that require repairs while there are sections eg Hartshorn drive/road that are well paved!

Unless you have something meaningful to add grace other threads where they need characters like you for comic relief.
"Considering the reputation of Short Hills"???

Highland ave is fine put Wells lane is not Hobart is fine etc, etc it's a common sense thing people need to use it. If you look back at the history of Short hills many of the roads had cobblestone gutters.....like Highland ave did and when MILLBURN /Short Hills decided to get rid of them many of the roads were widen the ones that did not stayed the same. Maybe before you ask a uniformed question like that again educate yourself and don't rely on second hand reputation info.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:49 AM

Get over yourself and find some new emoticons. And while at it also go look for some other threads to entertain yourself. There might be others who want to share pertinent information.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:35 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
They just repaved one of the major roads through Short Hills (Old Short Hills Road).

As for what differentiates the neighborhoods... a few of them have lakes, and up at the top there's some completely private roads. Other than that, you've got your "well to do" areas, your "wealthy" areas, your "filthy rich" areas and your "Eat Your Heart Out Bruce Wayne" areas. (but note that when they built US-24, the Summit side successfully lobbied to close one of the bridges from Short Hills in order to keep the poors out of their neighborhood).

Old 02-29-2020, 08:55 AM

Thanks nybbler for providing some facts. Anyone considering SH knows it’s a prosperous town. Other towns we looked at included Ridgewood, Millburn and Chatham but only a few sections. So while Ridgewood has wide roads both the main ones and others, SH did not. Same goes for lot sizes between Millburn and SH where one has smaller lots, older homes much closely stacked together vs the other town.

Thus was looking at someone who lives there and can comment on such differences. But then the conversation got sidetracked by emoticons hugging posters.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey