Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 03:55 PM

9 posts, read 9,171 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate from Sag Harbor, NY to NJ. We have two elementary school-aged kids and are looking for a more academically rigorous public school system. We’ve narrowed our search down to the Princeton area. We love the feel of downtown Princeton as well as the cultural offerings (we are both musicians - I am a classical musician and my husband writes music for tv). We are having trouble choosing between the Princeton school district and Montgomery. Endless internet searches have revealed that both are great and we could not go wrong either way. We work from home so commuting is not an issue. Our specific concerns are these:

1. Our kids have grown up in Sag Harbor which has a tiny public school which feels very much like a private school with a very close-knit and eclectic community of parents. From a social stand point that has been wonderful; academically however we have not been satisfied, hence why we are moving. Our main concern is that both Montgomery and Princeton are massive school districts —compared to Sag Harbor (there are between 60-80 kids per grade in Sag Harbor!) Can anyone chime in about the experience of moving kids from a small school to a larger school? Does one district feel more welcoming than the other?
2. We are “creative types”. If we were looking to meet other creative-type parents, would our chances be better in one school district vs. the other?
3. We are also both European expats and tend to end up being friends with other people who’ve lived and worked all around the world. Are we likely to meet other globe trotters through one school vs. the other?

We can probably afford a house in either of these districts — with the knowledge that in Montgomery you get more house for your money — so we don’t want to let budget influence this decision.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 08:43 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Also look into the nearby West Windsor Plainsboro School District and the Hopewell Valley Regional School District. All are top rated. The Hopewell Pennington area is a bit cheaper than the others and has lots of houses on acreage.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:50 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
Can I ask what led you to Sag Harbor in the first place? There must be something about that location that you were looking for that something in NJ might have as well.

Have you considered private schools?

Old 02-25-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Can I ask what led you to Sag Harbor in the first place? There must be something about that location that you were looking for that something in NJ might have as well.

Have you considered private schools?
Thanks for your reply. We ended up in Sag Harbor purely by chance after having lived in LA for ten years and wanting to move back to the East Coast and dreaming of a more wholesome, small town lifestyle....which we have found in Sag Harbor. Unfortunately, as our kids are getting older we are finding the school is not challenging enough. Also, we feel too isolated out here....too far from NYC, too far from the airport. (Family is in UK.) Sag Harbor is a beautiful place but from a cultural standpoint we are looking for a place that has more going on nearby and year round.

Private schools are just out of our reach, financially.

We feel confident that the Princeton area has what we are looking for - world class classical musicians who come through, etc., easy drive to NYC on weekends to visit museums, etc.

We just need to figure out if either of those school districts - Princeton or Montgomery - would be a good fit ?

Old 02-25-2020, 09:10 AM

973 posts, read 1,411,947 times
Larchmont (Mamaroneck SD) in Westchester is known for having a lot of European ex pats. Much easier access to Manhattan.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:21 AM

Got it. I think Princeton, as nice as it is, may share some of the same issues as Sag Harbor. The schools are nice but you're still going to be a trek from from NYC and the airports. I mean, not as far as from the end of LI, certainly, but it's still going to be 90 minutes or so driving or on the train.

It does have some nice options to get down to Philadelphia as well however, so I'm not arguing against you moving there, just that it may not be as close as you'd like.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Got it. I think Princeton, as nice as it is, may share some of the same issues as Sag Harbor. The schools are nice but you're still going to be a trek from from NYC and the airports. I mean, not as far as from the end of LI, certainly, but it's still going to be 90 minutes or so driving or on the train.

It does have some nice options to get down to Philadelphia as well however, so I'm not arguing against you moving there, just that it may not be as close as you'd like.
That is really good to know - and yes, if Princeton doesn't solve our isolation problem then we have to keep thinking. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Larchmont (Mamaroneck SD) in Westchester is known for having a lot of European ex pats. Much easier access to Manhattan.
Yes, Westchester is definitely another place we need to look into. Thank you.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:09 AM

You should spend a weekend out there, get a hotel in town for a night. I like the Nassau Inn, it's pricey but the location is perfect. But have a look at the town, get some ice cream at the Bent Spoon, peruse the used record store, but either going out or returning home, go via New York City and see if the drive time is short enough. It's a college town, so there's bound to be fun things for you and the kids to do, so at the very least you'll get a weekend away from the house.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:31 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Brunch at PJ's Pancake House on Nassau. The NJ Transit to NYC is easy, too. Leave from either Princeton Junction or Hamilton. I'm not sure the Dinky, which goes to Princeton Junction is worth the trouble, but you can check it out at the links below.

https://pr.princeton.edu/admissions/g/is/5arrival.html

https://www.njtransit.com/var/var_se...Action=DinkyTo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey