Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 10:14 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,540,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What makes you think Mattie is an old person?

And

I AM an old person who does a lot of driving and always uses my gps, and I don't do what you claim.
Ditto. I get so sick and tired of the "old" people bashing on city data. God help all of you when you get "old"!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 11:08 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,577,499 times
You mean we're senior tennagers,,, I often scope out various routes even though Ive driven most of them a million times before cellphones using eEEEeevil rRRrracist Google Maps with the traffic layer on just to avoid road work or MVA's (accidents) that could clog things up before I set out.

Have Waze also but haven't used it recently.

Even noticed Goo Maps is posting speedtraps as of yesterday in NJ.
Also under options you can select toll free or avoid highways if desired.

Old 03-01-2020, 11:46 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Are you staying with family OP? What about using some sort of shuttle to/from the airport? Would family have a car you can use locally while you're there? What about a local rental?

Old 03-01-2020, 11:58 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,138,851 times
If you don't like the Turnpike then don't take it. Exit the airport onto 78-West. Follow that to the Garden State Parkway northbound. You can then take the exit for route 80-East to get to Hackensack. This route may be a few miles longer, but if you miss an exit it will be a lot easier to navigate. If you miss an exit on the Turnpike it will be several miles of driving out of your way before you can even turn around.

Old 03-01-2020, 12:11 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What makes you think Mattie is an old person?

And

I AM an old person who does a lot of driving and always uses my gps, and I don't do what you claim.
only an old person asks for directions these days. you dont need directions. you get in the car, type the address in your gps and you follow the instructions.

lets test my theory, mattie how old are you?

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 03-01-2020 at 12:42 PM..

Old 03-01-2020, 12:28 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,138,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
only an old person asks for directions these days. you dont need directions. you get in the car, type the address in your gps and you follow the instructions.
My 75 year old mother can't even find the icon on her phone to open up Waze or Google Maps, even though I have showed her 100 times.

Old 03-01-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
My 75 year old mother can't even find the icon on her phone to open up Waze or Google Maps, even though I have showed her 100 times.
my mother in law is starting to use her smartphone for some things (i think mostly for watching jesus videos on youtube) but i dont think she uses gps. recently i drove her home and i used the gps. we got to an intersection and she told me to turn and i said i was following the gps. she kept pushing for me to turn but i refused. it was pretty funny, i knew it would bother her. my mom does similar stuff, always trying to tell you to go a different route than what the gps says. i took and uber with my dad and his friend and they couldnt help but complain about the google maps directions as if they knew better.

im not sure why it is so difficult for them to accept this and accept that it is superior to their knowledge but it seems very common (but im sure there are a good amount that havent fought advanced technology and use it to their benefit).

Old 03-01-2020, 02:17 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
Lol, I LOVE NJ people, candid as always. Many thanks MQ and Gerania, Ansky too. You get it.

I'm no wimp Captain, even at 62 nothing really daunts me. But I've found myself leaving Newark before and getting totally flummoxed because, let's be honest, the signage in NJ is pretty bad. I'm in Atlanta now, where the traffic is comparable if not worse. But you can't miss the signs here. They're overhead, on signposts, and even written on the highway surface. I use Google maps on my phone, but sometimes the directions don't allow for the time needed to merge lanes in heavy traffic.

Old 03-01-2020, 02:42 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Many thanks MQ and Gerania, Ansky too. You get it.

I thought that my comments were also helpful, and I'm sorry that you did not find value in them.

I'm in Atlanta now, where the traffic is comparable if not worse. But you can't miss the signs here. They're overhead, on signposts, and even written on the highway surface.
That is undoubtedly attributable to the abysmal quality of the schools in Georgia.
Don't you realize that they have to take extra steps in order to ensure that all of the locals--who are mostly reading on the 8th grade level, and may be high on Methamphetamine--are able to comprehend the signage?

Old 03-01-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Lol, I LOVE NJ people, candid as always. Many thanks MQ and Gerania, Ansky too. You get it.

I'm no wimp Captain, even at 62 nothing really daunts me. But I've found myself leaving Newark before and getting totally flummoxed because, let's be honest, the signage in NJ is pretty bad. I'm in Atlanta now, where the traffic is comparable if not worse. But you can't miss the signs here. They're overhead, on signposts, and even written on the highway surface. I use Google maps on my phone, but sometimes the directions don't allow for the time needed to merge lanes in heavy traffic.
please give retriever appropriate gratitude for his post! you have hurt his feelings!

you remind me of my mother, even with the "im no wimp" comment. in the meantime you feel the need to plan ahead for driving directions. that just isnt done anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey