Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 10:04 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,310,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szd426 View Post
N95 is not needed for regular daily life. Regular mask had been working well already in South Korea and Japan. Anyone can find one should wear it. Maybe reusable or DIY mask works fine too. Stay safe stay healthy.
Disposable masks aren't reusable. Once they become damp from exhalation, they're garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 10:24 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The mask is effective if used from a distance against air droplets. It's not effective if someone is closer than 6 feet and coughing or sneezing at you the droplets will get on to your eyes and even ears.

However the mask is most effective at preventing an infected person from spreading that's why everyone should wear some type of mask or even a handkerchief is better than nothing.

If everyone wore something in public, the virus would not spread as much. Example is Japan,HK, Korea, and China. They have contained the spread because almost everyone wears a mask.
You say this as if it's possible for us to even buy masks. Trust me. I'd wear one if I could. But I'd also prefer that doctors have enough of them rather than you and me stocking up on them.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:38 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,310,068 times
I have a box of gloves, too. I'm sooo prepared. I only have the gloves because my son left them here last year.

It's like the movie Signs. My son bought a bottle of alcohol for me the day after I had bought one. That was last year, and I didn't ask him to. I didn't need it then, but I used it now. We almost don't have to speak to each other, other than to argue. There's little mystery there, but it's interesting to me.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:59 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunk View Post
Masks help they aren't 100% effective though. N95 respirators aren't even 100% effective but they are more effective than masks.

This virus is thought to be spread via droplet meaning visible or microscopic moisture from one person's airway holding variable amounts of virus then going into another person's airway. Either directly or first getting deposited onto a surface then into the airway.

This isn't fully established. The virus might be a bit closer on the spectrum to true airborne spread (tuberculosis, measles) than pure droplet like rsv or chickenpox. It can survive hours floating in the air.

Anyway, any little bit helps. Masks help. Don't believe the fake news that it doesn't.

Goggles or other eye protection as astutely mentioned also helps because it can be transmitted if it gets in your eye.

Also gloves. Because ppl have a tendency to touch their face and this virus can survive days on metal and plastic.

I'm in Healthcare by the way.
The masks is necessary to prevent the spread not just for protection. It isn't 100% effective at blocking droplets but it is 99% effective at blocking droplets from spreading. You should know this if you are in healthcare. Or else why would doctors be asking for N95 masks at all. It is so when they perform procedures that they are not adding more pathogens to someone's open wound. Especially how dirty the mouth is when we talk we are sending millions of pathogens out of our mouths.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:30 PM

42 posts, read 20,966 times
Ok OP, I agree, now where do I find these masks? Can't find them online or in local pharmacies

Old 03-22-2020, 06:18 PM

22 posts, read 11,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hot View Post
Ok OP, I agree, now where do I find these masks? Can't find them online or in local pharmacies
I think Amazon still sell these masks. N95 is not needed for daily life. It takes a while to be arrived to your home though. While you are waiting, maybe homemade or the other kind of reusable masks work fine too. Better than nothing. Make sure to sterile these reusable masks after use.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:12 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hot View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ok, I just linked an Amazon item. 50 masks for $42, its not been bought up because people search masks but this item is not for the mask but you get the mask for free for buying the item. I have about 20 of these masks and they are legit 3M ones. Get these and pass it around to your loved ones when you go out. Much better than all these folks at shoprite not wearing a thing.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:57 PM

22 posts, read 11,866 times
Quote:

Ok, I just linked an Amazon item. 50 masks for $42, its not been bought up because people search masks but this item is not for the mask but you get the mask for free for buying the item. I have about 20 of these masks and they are legit 3M ones. Get these and pass it around to your loved ones when you go out. Much better than all these folks at shoprite not wearing a thing.

Lucky you. Awesome. Thank you for sharing

Old 03-23-2020, 08:44 AM

206 posts, read 116,470 times
Quote:
The masks is necessary to prevent the spread not just for protection. It isn't 100% effective at blocking droplets but it is 99% effective at blocking droplets from spreading. You should know this if you are in healthcare. Or else why would doctors be asking for N95 masks at all. It is so when they perform procedures that they are not adding more pathogens to someone's open wound. Especially how dirty the mouth is when we talk we are sending millions of pathogens out of our mouths.

Hey there. I'm a medical doctor.

What are you questioning about my post? Where did I disagree with you? There is another thread on this forum where I went into detail about how masks prevent droplets from spewing out from someone's mouth thus preventing spread. I tried to use layman's terminology.

Here I just wanted to address the fake news that masks don't help. They do.

N95 obviously is better. Especially because it fits tighter and also because of the filter size. There is question about whether this virus is truly droplet or has aerosol like spread.

If you really want to be complete, goggles gloves and a gown should be used too.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:22 AM

8 posts, read 10,191 times
Quote:

Have you ordered this item and received the masks? Seems iffy that a product sold and shipped by Amazon would be doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: