Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:52 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times

Advertisements

lol except for benny's pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 09:29 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Oh please , stop lying. You know 13 out of the 21 Million use Mass Transit daily , thats up by 2 Million since 2000...they aren't complaining.
Yes, we are. If you hadn't noticed, you aren't paying attention.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:27 AM

989 posts, read 1,876,459 times
Hoboken is for NYC wannabees who can't afford to live in Manhattan. There is no culture of any sort in Hoboken.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:34 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
Hoboken is for NYC wannabees who can't afford to live in Manhattan. There is no culture of any sort in Hoboken.
You are right though I hate to admit it since I have had some great times there. Williamsburg Brooklyn is getting like that now too. NYU Students are all settling there now that their school is right across the bridge.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,909 times
The conversation on this thread concerns me. Although I currently live in downtown Jersey City and love it here, I have an arduous commute and have decided to move to Hoboken to reduce the psychological toll it takes. My workplace is in suburban Passaic County, which is about 50 minutes away by car from Jersey City, but perhaps about 35-40 minutes by car from uptown Hoboken. (Although 10-15 minutes may not feel like much, I know I will feel the difference.)

That's why I'm concerned. On the one hand, Hoboken is closer to my work, has more amenities (take-out places, workout options), and more options to get to NYC. (I understand the 126 bus offers very convenient service to Port Authority from Uptown Hoboken. It would be nice to have that option as an alternative to the PATH, which appears to be running over capacity.)

On the other hand, Hoboken's real estate stretches my rather meager budget, and appears to host an increasing concentration of tools. Perhaps I should be less judgmental and say that Hoboken appears to have a lot of well-off former frat boys to whom I would probably have trouble relating. Also, Hoboken is overwhelmingly white, and although I am white, I like to live in a diverse setting. I think downtown JC truly provides that.

Perhaps my suspect feelings toward Hoboken stem from simple jealousy. Many Hobokenites make more money than I would ever make as an academic. Maybe I would simply rather be around others whose incomes are closer to my own, in which case my expressed love of diversity is a bit inconsistent. But so be it -- downtown JC just appeals more me as a somewhat insecure egghead. Although I don't know many of my neighbors in downtown JC, many of them seem like people I can relate to -- down-to-earth, reflective, rather quiet people whose idea of a good time is not getting drunk at bars on a regular basis. So being here makes me feel at home. I'm not sure I would feel that in Hoboken.

So the question is: given my preferences, should I stretch my budget and move to Hoboken to shorten my commute by 15 minutes? Or should I somehow learn to live with the commute just to stay in downtown JC?

I should say I prioritize walkability and nice urban architecture. Places like Fort Lee, Union City, Weehawken and JC Heights would offer shorter commutes but are lacking in either walkability, attractive urban architecture or both.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:41 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,632,991 times
f*** hoboken, it's played out

Old 03-18-2012, 04:48 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
f*** hoboken, it's played out
LOL @ this dude.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 PM

595 posts, read 1,557,913 times
hoboken is great and beautiful place. all of you here exaggerate. yeaa..manhattan had some great culture in the 1970s! loved that crack!!! hoboken is full of working professionals. It is not all frat boy, and most frat boys cant afford most of the housing there. there is lots of things hoboken offers. I live close enough to hoboken and been to hoboken numerous times. My cousin also lives there. The ones that hate are the ones that just like to complain when their favorite band becomes popular.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,632,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
hoboken is great and beautiful place. all of you here exaggerate. yeaa..manhattan had some great culture in the 1970s! loved that crack!!! hoboken is full of working professionals. It is not all frat boy, and most frat boys cant afford most of the housing there. there is lots of things hoboken offers. I live close enough to hoboken and been to hoboken numerous times. My cousin also lives there. The ones that hate are the ones that just like to complain when their favorite band becomes popular.
Yea, it is. It's full of frat boy working professionals
Hoe boken got some hoes though

Old 03-18-2012, 10:33 PM

595 posts, read 1,557,913 times
so silly...how about you actually walk around and explore the area....paying attention only to the downtown on a sat night doesnt count. its sooo bad to have a vibrant area..right? then again lets romanticize the old days when things were ****ty, full of drugs, and no one wanted to step foot into it. how about we all go hang camden...might bring back memories. *sigh* like i said...u guys sound like the people that hate on their band when it comes popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey