Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:48 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
so silly...how about you actually walk around and explore the area....paying attention only to the downtown on a sat night doesnt count. its sooo bad to have a vibrant area..right? then again lets romanticize the old days when things were ****ty, full of drugs, and no one wanted to step foot into it. how about we all go hang camden...might bring back memories. *sigh* like i said...u guys sound like the people that hate on their band when it comes popular.
It is what it is, and I tell it like it is. I personally stayed there for a week besides just coming there on weekends so I know wasap. There is not that much to explore, it's pretty small. No need to sigh. If you like it, you like it, everyone's different.We just discussing.
And I could give a shi* about popularity or not popularity of my band, you can look in my profile, my band been hot and not, I stick with it and same with everything else. It's not about that. Sure, not everyone who lives there is a prep doushbag, but a big portion is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 10:42 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus702 View Post
The conversation on this thread concerns me. Although I currently live in downtown Jersey City and love it here, I have an arduous commute and have decided to move to Hoboken to reduce the psychological toll it takes. My workplace is in suburban Passaic County, which is about 50 minutes away by car from Jersey City, but perhaps about 35-40 minutes by car from uptown Hoboken. (Although 10-15 minutes may not feel like much, I know I will feel the difference.)

That's why I'm concerned. On the one hand, Hoboken is closer to my work, has more amenities (take-out places, workout options), and more options to get to NYC. (I understand the 126 bus offers very convenient service to Port Authority from Uptown Hoboken. It would be nice to have that option as an alternative to the PATH, which appears to be running over capacity.)

On the other hand, Hoboken's real estate stretches my rather meager budget, and appears to host an increasing concentration of tools. Perhaps I should be less judgmental and say that Hoboken appears to have a lot of well-off former frat boys to whom I would probably have trouble relating. Also, Hoboken is overwhelmingly white, and although I am white, I like to live in a diverse setting. I think downtown JC truly provides that.

Perhaps my suspect feelings toward Hoboken stem from simple jealousy. Many Hobokenites make more money than I would ever make as an academic. Maybe I would simply rather be around others whose incomes are closer to my own, in which case my expressed love of diversity is a bit inconsistent. But so be it -- downtown JC just appeals more me as a somewhat insecure egghead. Although I don't know many of my neighbors in downtown JC, many of them seem like people I can relate to -- down-to-earth, reflective, rather quiet people whose idea of a good time is not getting drunk at bars on a regular basis. So being here makes me feel at home. I'm not sure I would feel that in Hoboken.

So the question is: given my preferences, should I stretch my budget and move to Hoboken to shorten my commute by 15 minutes? Or should I somehow learn to live with the commute just to stay in downtown JC?

I should say I prioritize walkability and nice urban architecture. Places like Fort Lee, Union City, Weehawken and JC Heights would offer shorter commutes but are lacking in either walkability, attractive urban architecture or both.
It sounds like you are quite happy in Jersey City. Downtown is apparently pretty awesome. I love going out there for bars as opposed to Hoboken. Not sure why you would want to pay 200-500 more in month rent to be 15 minutes closer to work. Sounds kind of backwards to me.

A lot of my family has lived in Hoboken for years. I remember being a toddler and going there. Back then it was not really crime filled, but it was more down to earth and certainly more working class. Definitely more of what you would call "hipster" today by some standards.

Things really ticked up to a whole new level in teh late 90s and especially post 9/11. Gentrification hit full force. I recall spending a summer in Hoboken in 2007 and even then it wasn't nearly as ridiculous with parking, guido bar culture, or hype. The cost to live there was high, but not nearly as high as it is today.

Fast forward to 2012 and Hoboken which was once a blue collar mecca is now a waspy post college binge drinking haven for spoiled rich young kids. Keep in mind most of these people are not rich by profession, they are rich because their parents help them out. This is becoming the "new" culture of Hoboken. For many who grew up here in the baby boomer era, and even the generation ex-er's who lived there in the 80s and early 90s when it was still in the crapper, this is all a bit tough to digest.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:00 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,667 times
This thread is ridiculous. I've been going back and forth between purchasing in Hoboken and Jersey City and I've recently went into contract on a condo in Hoboken. The naysayers in this thread have galvanized my opinion that I've made the right choice. God forbid an incredibly dense and historic city not be littered with surface lots. This is asinine, suburban, auto-centric thinking. I guess myself and others like me who are looking for more affordable alternatives to Manhattan and Brooklyn are causing this huge "problem" of nice restaurants, ample amenities, and well maintained properties? If that's the case then I'm glad to be part of the problem. I guess the huge jump in prices in Hoboken and JC real estate in the past 10+ years means that the free market is wrong and that all of these buyers have been duped into living in an undesireable hellhole? Give me a break.

As for expensive public transport: A monthly pass for the Path train is $65 and gets me to work in 15 mins. How much a month is your car?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcon0 View Post
This thread is ridiculous. I've been going back and forth between purchasing in Hoboken and Jersey City and I've recently went into contract on a condo in Hoboken. The naysayers in this thread have galvanized my opinion that I've made the right choice. God forbid an incredibly dense and historic city not be littered with surface lots. This is asinine, suburban, auto-centric thinking. I guess myself and others like me who are looking for more affordable alternatives to Manhattan and Brooklyn are causing this huge "problem" of nice restaurants, ample amenities, and well maintained properties? If that's the case then I'm glad to be part of the problem. I guess the huge jump in prices in Hoboken and JC real estate in the past 10+ years means that the free market is wrong and that all of these buyers have been duped into living in an undesireable hellhole? Give me a break.

As for expensive public transport: A monthly pass for the Path train is $65 and gets me to work in 15 mins. How much a month is your car?
I wouldn't hate on people being "auto-centric." What the eff does that even mean and why is that bad?

Many people enjoy driving. Just leave NYC metro area for a few days -- tell people in middle america that you ride the subway to work everyday and they'll laugh in your face.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:55 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,357 times
Quote:

My husband and I moved to Hoboken about 8 months ago, and I think it's a great alternative to living in Manhattan or Brooklyn. I enjoy having nice restaurants, bars, and professionals in my neighborhood.

We actually chose it over Manhattan because he works in New Jersey and I'm in midtown, so it was a good middle for both of us (a little better for me than him!). And yes, we have a car-- but we also have parking in our building (it was on our 'must haves' when we were looking). That being said, aside from his commute to work, grocery trips, and the occasional road trip/ shopping-- we walk/ subway everywhere (the ability to do this is a huge plus for Hoboken).

And of course, the added bonus is living space/ apt size we get is nothing to complain about!

Old 03-20-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I wouldn't hate on people being "auto-centric." What the eff does that even mean and why is that bad?

Many people enjoy driving. Just leave NYC metro area for a few days -- tell people in middle america that you ride the subway to work everyday and they'll laugh in your face.
I understand that many people enjoy driving but by your own argument it doesn't really apply in the NYC metro area of which Hoboken is a part of. Hoboken is one of the densest cities in the US (more dense than NYC as a whole, in fact) so don't expect it to accommodate your car. Space is too valuable for a sea of parking lots. As for people in middle America "laughing in my face about taking the subway to work"...well I guess we'll see who's laughing when gas hits almost $5/gallon this summer as predicted.

You can't figure out what "auto-centric" means? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
My husband and I moved to Hoboken about 8 months ago, and I think it's a great alternative to living in Manhattan or Brooklyn. I enjoy having nice restaurants, bars, and professionals in my neighborhood.

We actually chose it over Manhattan because he works in New Jersey and I'm in midtown, so it was a good middle for both of us (a little better for me than him!). And yes, we have a car-- but we also have parking in our building (it was on our 'must haves' when we were looking). That being said, aside from his commute to work, grocery trips, and the occasional road trip/ shopping-- we walk/ subway everywhere (the ability to do this is a huge plus for Hoboken).

And of course, the added bonus is living space/ apt size we get is nothing to complain about!
Great to hear you're enjoying Hoboken. My fiancee and I are very excited about finally being able to own a place. We live in Manhattan now and our commutes to work will actually be shorter than they are currently. This combined with the highly walkable area and the amenities that everyone on this thread seems to hate are what has us coming across the river. I think if you can find private parking then more power to you. We considered buying a place with a spot even though we don't have a car just for resale purposes. I just think those non-residents that complain about street parking or expensive lots don't understand how cities work.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I understand that many people enjoy driving but by your own argument it doesn't really apply in the NYC metro area of which Hoboken is a part of. Hoboken is one of the densest cities in the US (more dense than NYC as a whole, in fact) so don't expect it to accommodate your car. Space is too valuable for a sea of parking lots. As for people in middle America "laughing in my face about taking the subway to work"...well I guess we'll see who's laughing when gas hits almost $5/gallon this summer as predicted.

You can't figure out what "auto-centric" means? Really?

Great to hear you're enjoying Hoboken. My fiancee and I are very excited about finally being able to own a place. We live in Manhattan now and our commutes to work will actually be shorter than they are currently. This combined with the highly walkable area and the amenities that everyone on this thread seems to hate are what has us coming across the river. I think if you can find private parking then more power to you. We considered buying a place with a spot even though we don't have a car just for resale purposes. I just think those non-residents that complain about street parking or expensive lots don't understand how cities work.
I've just never the term "auto-centric" being used ever -- but now that you have successfully used it, it has a good amount of snob appeal.

The fact is Hoboken now makes it difficult for people to own a car there. That within itself is unacceptable. Go to any urban area in NJ outside of Hoboken -- Weehawken, Jersey City, Union City and note that you will not have a problem with parking a car or have to pay for parking one.

And whether you might realize it or not -- the New York City Public Transit System isn't all that great of a deal. Monthly PATH was just raised to 65-75 a month (thank you Port Authority) and that monthly cannot be used on any new york city subway system. New york city subway is 2.25 each ride and monthly are much higher than the PATH. If you take NJ Transit, Metro North, or LIRR, expect insanely high monthly rates.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I've just never the term "auto-centric" being used ever -- but now that you have successfully used it, it has a good amount of snob appeal.

The fact is Hoboken now makes it difficult for people to own a car there. That within itself is unacceptable. Go to any urban area in NJ outside of Hoboken -- Weehawken, Jersey City, Union City and note that you will not have a problem with parking a car or have to pay for parking one.

And whether you might realize it or not -- the New York City Public Transit System isn't all that great of a deal. Monthly PATH was just raised to 65-75 a month (thank you Port Authority) and that monthly cannot be used on any new york city subway system. New york city subway is 2.25 each ride and monthly are much higher than the PATH. If you take NJ Transit, Metro North, or LIRR, expect insanely high monthly rates.
Hoboken and those who run it are not making it difficult to own a car. It's not their fault that Hoboken is one mile from one of the largest, most visited cities in the world and serves as a major transit hub. Hoboken land is valuable, the city is dense, and there's no place to put more parking that wouldn't be better suited for some other purpose. Most residents of Hoboken have an interest in preserving the character of the city and putting in more surface lots to further accommodate the Saturday sh-tshow on Washington St. isn't their top priority.

Hoboken's parking problem is a symptom of it's success. Visitors overrun a city that is one square mile and then complain about the parking situation. I wouldn't go to suburban NJ and complain about a lack of transit options because it's the suburbs...it's "auto-centric". Likewise, Hoboken is a city, practically like another borough of NYC, and you shouldn't expect to pull into a nice wide parking spot for cheap/free when you get there.

You'll never convince me the public transit system isn't a bargain compared to owning a car because it is. Path is $65/mo, which is all I need. Even assuming I needed to connect to the MTA every day I could buy a monthly unlimited Metrocard for $104. That's $169/mo that takes me everywhere I need to go. Are you telling me that gas, insurance, car payments, and maintenance on ANY car is less than that?

Old 03-21-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Hoboken and those who run it are not making it difficult to own a car. It's not their fault that Hoboken is one mile from one of the largest, most visited cities in the world and serves as a major transit hub. Hoboken land is valuable, the city is dense, and there's no place to put more parking that wouldn't be better suited for some other purpose. Most residents of Hoboken have an interest in preserving the character of the city and putting in more surface lots to further accommodate the Saturday sh-tshow on Washington St. isn't their top priority.

Hoboken's parking problem is a symptom of it's success. Visitors overrun a city that is one square mile and then complain about the parking situation. I wouldn't go to suburban NJ and complain about a lack of transit options because it's the suburbs...it's "auto-centric". Likewise, Hoboken is a city, practically like another borough of NYC, and you shouldn't expect to pull into a nice wide parking spot for cheap/free when you get there.

You'll never convince me the public transit system isn't a bargain compared to owning a car because it is. Path is $65/mo, which is all I need. Even assuming I needed to connect to the MTA every day I could buy a monthly unlimited Metrocard for $104. That's $169/mo that takes me everywhere I need to go. Are you telling me that gas, insurance, car payments, and maintenance on ANY car is less than that?
$169 a month for public transit? I'd say you're a sucker lol.

Depends though. Car insurance is a rip off in NJ no matter how you slice it. Rates are highest in Hudson County so you're getting screwed no matter what. If your car is paid off and is in solid order (like mine) I think you'd be surprised on how affordable it might be.

Anyway back to topic you bring up a good point. Tourists are flooding out Hoboken on the weekends and this within itself in not appealing. Hoboken used to be a working class town, and now it's a reality TV trash bin with NYC style prices. I think this whole thread sums it up: overrated.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:47 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:

Chicago and Cleveland are no longer middle america?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey