Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2020, 10:06 AM

50,489 posts, read 36,145,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
while that is certainly possible, my experience is that those types of lawsuits dont go anywhere if you can demonstrate that it wasnt discriminatory.

i think that it would be difficult to enforce in the present situation because masks arent readily available for the general public. so now you are stopping someone from buying groceries because they dont have something that isnt easily found. that isnt a good situation to be in as im sure you would get a lot of arguing and put employees already in a tough situation in an even tougher situation.
It requires face covering not specifically mask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 10:22 AM

19,067 posts, read 25,224,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It doesn’t have to be a mask, but face covering. If all you have is a scarf, that’s fine. No one can claim discrimination if it applies to everyone.
Yup!
If somebody wants to tie an old T-shirt around his/her face, then they are in compliance and are giving themselves--and others
--at least a modicum of protection.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:24 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,584,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It requires face covering not specifically mask.
good point, so i guess anyone can do it. so then a store could probably provide something like that if the person doesnt have something.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:25 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,235,265 times
Quote:
good point, so i guess anyone can do it. so then a store could probably provide something like that if the person doesnt have something.
Everyone has something. Its not healthy to reuse face covering from person to person. Youre also required to wear clothing and shoes, and the store can ask you to leave if you dont but they dont supply it. Just playing devils advocate

Old 04-09-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Everyone has something. Its not healthy to reuse face covering from person to person. Youre also required to wear clothing and shoes, and the store can ask you to leave if you dont but they dont supply it. Just playing devils advocate
everybody understands that they need clothing. im sure most people would be able to put together something to wrap around there face but not everyone. for those people, i would think a store would rather have something to provide them. im not saying that they have to, just that it would probably be easier for them than denying entry to people. some people are desperate and will argue and you dont need to lose employees at this time because they dont want to fight with angry customers.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
everybody understands that they need clothing. im sure most people would be able to put together something to wrap around there face but not everyone. for those people, i would think a store would rather have something to provide them. im not saying that they have to, just that it would probably be easier for them than denying entry to people. some people are desperate and will argue and you dont need to lose employees at this time because they dont want to fight with angry customers.
Alright so update from the front lines Captain. My DH went to Home Depot to get some new locks for us and work stuff. There was a line, they are controlling how many people go in. At the door there was a uniformed cop. He told my husband he was not allowed to enter without a mask. My husband attempted to argue his way in by saying they cant force people to wear masks and there is no law against it. And the cop would not budge. He came home and got a mask. This may become the new normal.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Alright so update from the front lines Captain. My DH went to Home Depot to get some new locks for us and work stuff. There was a line, they are controlling how many people go in. At the door there was a uniformed cop. He told my husband he was not allowed to enter without a mask. My husband attempted to argue his way in by saying they cant force people to wear masks and there is no law against it. And the cop would not budge. He came home and got a mask. This may become the new normal.
your husband should have punched that cop in the face!

i wouldnt be surprised if home depot asked them to be there so that they dont have to deny entry to the store. that doesnt necessarily make it a legal requirement (it is in this case since home depot is allowed to deny entry if they wish and so it would be trespassing for those who didnt listen).

Old 04-10-2020, 11:12 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,894,859 times
Quote:

i wouldnt be surprised if home depot asked them to be there so that they dont have to deny entry to the store. that doesnt necessarily make it a legal requirement (it is in this case since home depot is allowed to deny entry if they wish and so it would be trespassing for those who didnt listen).
Right, because everyone is special. Good time to go with the flow.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Thats what i told him. (except the punching part lol) That Home Depot has the right to deny entry as long as its not discriminatory. And the cop refused entry until he had a mask. He did let him skip the line the second time.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:31 AM

88,300 posts, read 84,311,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
Right, because everyone is special. Good time to go with the flow.
And an assault charge against a police officer is always a great thing to have on your record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey