Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 11:11 AM

4,180 posts, read 5,060,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my friend basically said that all meat leads to inflammation...
That's a generalization. Depends on quantity & quality. Open range, grass fed beef, is ok.

https://drhoffman.com/article/a-doze...alid-part-one/

https://drhoffman.com/article/a-doze...alid-part-two/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 11:14 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its impressive that she would even try to attribute her weight to exercise. weight loss is about food intake, not exercise.
Exercise does help and is good for you overall, including mentally, but as the saying goes, you can't outrun your fork. I go for walks from 2 to 3 miles in length, but I know I can eat those calories back in five minutes.

If you are used to doing that exercise and keep your weight at a certain level and stop, and your calorie intake is the same, then you will eventually gain, though because now those are calories that you normally burned and aren't anymore.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:14 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
it seems like a lot of people's "go to" for toilet paper is costco so they have been empty whenever i went. but ive seen it elsewhere and a couple of days ago at aldi they had a ton of it:

Old 05-07-2020, 11:15 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I don't know that there is really a meat shortage around here. I think it's just more media hype. I was at Shop Rite again today, and as usual there was a normal supply of meat available. I have not seen any sign of a shortage at any point during this whole pandemic. There has also been a very abundant supply of toilet paper over the last several weeks.
I was just there, too. They have signs up over the beef saying limit of two packages of each thing. But the meat cases looked full.

Still no tofu, though. NONE. Go figure.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:15 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

As to "media hype", I recall seeing both video and still photos of meat cases in multiple stores that were essentially bare.
Are you suggesting that media people purposely unloaded meat cases in multiple stores in order to photograph/video a false situation? That would be quite a... conspiracy.

All I'm saying is that the media is always looking for a good story. It would not be that hard to find 1 or 2 stores that are low on meat and only show those on the news, as opposed to the hundreds of other stores that have plenty of meat available. You know the media likes drama. "Meat shortage" makes for a much better story than "plenty of meat available". It's the same premise when the media hypes up snow storms during the winter. That's how they get viewers.

It amazes me how many people on this forum just take everything at face value. I saw it on the news so it must be true. The governor said so, so it must be true.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:37 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
It's something that is clearly sporadic, and it will vary from store to store, from day to day, from zip code to zip code. At Costco today, there was clearly no shortage of chicken or red meat in the coolers, and when I visited my local Shop Rite this week, the situation was the same. Last week, at both Shop Rite and Costco, I wanted to buy some Spam as an emergency protein source that would not require refrigeration. However, both stores had zero Spam available last week. This week, they were both re-stocked with Spam.

As to TP, I have noticed that my Shop Rite has been getting pretty regular shipments of (only) Scott TP, so as long as fans of other brands can... compromise... they will probably be able to find TP at Shop Rite. Costco, on the other hand, had no TP--of any brand--available today, although they were decently-stocked with their house brand of TP last week.

As to "media hype", I recall seeing both video and still photos of meat cases in multiple stores that were essentially bare.
Are you suggesting that media people purposely unloaded meat cases in multiple stores in order to photograph/video a false situation? That would be quite a... conspiracy.

You don't have to resort to spam! I bought a bunch of canned chicken breast (sold in the tuna aisle and also available at Dollar General), a couple of cans every time I went shopping and have a good supply of it now.

What I personally have seen reported by "media", at least CNN, which I have on all day, is that we can expect higher meat prices but not actual shortages. They also don't usually declare these statements as their own, but they have experts on who work in the meat industry.

We have all seen the issues going on with meat processing plants and the thousands of workers sick. In order to protect those workers they are going to have to sacrifice speed, and a good deal of speed on the lines. This IS going to result in less meat being processed and less available, but again they were careful to state that there shouldn't be serious shortages, just less of a selection than normal and higher prices. But a lot of people see the stories about the meat processing plants and rumors start that everyone needs to stock up on meat before it disappears. I have not seen a single reputable news source say anything like this. There's a difference between "media" and "social media" but I think people blur them sometimes. But the event that started it all, the fact that thousands of meat plant workers are infected, is an important story and it would be negligent on the part of news sources not to cover it. Do people want it to be like China or North Korea where they just keep those stories from the public so they can control their behavior?

Old 05-07-2020, 11:41 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was just there, too. They have signs up over the beef saying limit of two packages of each thing. But the meat cases looked full.

Still no tofu, though. NONE. Go figure.

And I still can't get Fresca. It's been over a month, and Coke told me they didn't stop making it, so I have no idea what gives.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:45 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

We have all seen the issues going on with meat processing plants and the thousands of workers sick. In order to protect those workers they are going to have to sacrifice speed, and a good deal of speed on the lines. This IS going to result in less meat being processed and less available, but again they were careful to state that there shouldn't be serious shortages, just less of a selection than normal and higher prices. But a lot of people see the stories about the meat processing plants and rumors start that everyone needs to stock up on meat before it disappears. I have not seen a single reputable news source say anything like this. There's a difference between "media" and "social media" but I think people blur them sometimes. But the event that started it all, the fact that thousands of meat plant workers are infected, is an important story and it would be negligent on the part of news sources not to cover it. Do people want it to be like China or North Korea where they just keep those stories from the public so they can control their behavior?
Last night on NBC news they ran a story with a big headline "Meat Shortage" and showed an empty meat aisle in a supermarket. Then 30 seconds into the actual story they interviewed someone in the industry that said there is not likely to be a meat shortage. This is how the media manipulates viewers. They roll with the catchy headline to reel in viewers. Most people are not going to pay attention to the full story so they will go running out to hoard meat in fear of a shortage.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:48 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You don't have to resort to spam! I bought a bunch of canned chicken breast (sold in the tuna aisle and also available at Dollar General), a couple of cans every time I went shopping and have a good supply of it now.
Great minds think alike!
I already have a goodly supply of both canned chicken and tuna, along with rice, quinoa, dried beans, and canned string beans. But, because of unknown situations to come, I thought that I would supplement that supply with a couple of cans of Spam. However, Costco only sells it in mass quantities, so I bought 2 cans of that stuff at Shop Rite.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:55 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
[quote=CaptainNJ;58045775]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post

i wonder what hannah's angle is on this one, i see nothing wrong with what was said. is she very obese?
No she is not obese at all. I was commenting on the poster's assumption that anyone who eats any kind of meat is automatically suspect:

"Unfortunately many americans that can't find meat to eat will eat food that is unhealthy instead of healthy choices. Think chips and soda, not veggies and fish.[/QUO

Most people don’t generally pick healthy meats either though. They’re the people who buy sausage and bacon and the 80% lean ground beef ( which is actually not 80% lean in terms of percentage of fat from calories)."

But you keep judging like you always you do. Back on you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey