Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2020, 01:32 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Well that would be awesome. How do you respond to the train of thought that says we're going too fast, the vaccine could have potentially fatal flaws, etc etc. like the one that produced thalidomide babies. I know that's an extreme example, but here we are.
i think that the general idea of vaccines is that a small % of people will be harmed by them and the greater good is worth the small % that are harmed. that idea justifies lying to the general public when it comes to possible harm from any vaccines. then you generally ridicule people who are opposed to being vaccinated as being anti-science troglodyte mouth breathers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 06:47 PM

4,016 posts, read 3,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think that the general idea of vaccines is that a small % of people will be harmed by them and the greater good is worth the small % that are harmed. that idea justifies lying to the general public when it comes to possible harm from any vaccines. then you generally ridicule people who are opposed to being vaccinated as being anti-science troglodyte mouth breathers.
Yes pretty much

Old 07-15-2020, 07:38 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,522,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Yes pretty much
That’s a generic antivaxer theory and not (again. sigh.) what I’m talking about. I’m talking about pushing a vaccine through too fast just to get something anything out to the public. I guess that percentage of people who are harmed is inconsequential unless of course, it happens to you or someone you care about. We don’t want the cure to be worse than the disease.

Old 07-15-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
That’s a generic antivaxer theory and not (again. sigh.) what I’m talking about. I’m talking about pushing a vaccine through too fast just to get something anything out to the public. I guess that percentage of people who are harmed is inconsequential unless of course, it happens to you or someone you care about. We don’t want the cure to be worse than the disease.
i dont think im stating an anti-vaxxer theory. i think that is how it is and most people who have given it thought would probably agree. anti-vaxxers would say that they will opt out for fear of being in that % that is harmed (which they probably think is larger than pro-vaxxers) and the pro-vaxxers will say that the benefits outweigh the negatives that happen to a small % of people.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:25 PM

10,221 posts, read 19,154,272 times
It's not "anti-vaxxer theory", it's the accepted strategy. It's why the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program exists.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:57 AM

19,067 posts, read 25,221,023 times
Sweden's Prime Minister loses popularity as COVID death rates in his country exceed the per capita COVID death rate in many other European nations and The US:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...gn=coronavirus

Herd immunity? Maybe not...

Old 07-16-2020, 06:02 AM

3,416 posts, read 1,814,262 times
Just got done replying to the other thread.. I don't wear a mask, really unless I go to Walmart or the wine store.

Stand up, NJ.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Sweden's Prime Minister loses popularity as COVID death rates in his country exceed the per capita COVID death rate in many other European nations and The US:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...gn=coronavirus

Herd immunity? Maybe not...
its interesting to see what is happening with sweden. i guess some "good" data has come out and so there is a renewed concerted effort to bash sweden's strategy.

it seems to me that the truth is that it isnt yet determined whether or not their strategy worked.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:21 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,522,752 times
The daycare center at the church next door to my building has reopened. They play outside most of the time, weather permitting and and there aren't that many kids, so social distancing is probably pretty easy. It is awesome to hear children squeal again.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:30 AM

4,016 posts, read 3,585,357 times
Quote:
The daycare center at the church next door to my building has reopened. They play outside most of the time, weather permitting and and there aren't that many kids, so social distancing is probably pretty easy. It is awesome to hear children squeal again.
There’s no such thing as social distancing mixed with kids playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey