Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:32 AM

13,369 posts, read 28,608,018 times

Advertisements

Early June up at Sussex Fairgrounds....anyone going?
Boy this has grown over the years..I remember when it was held at Waterloo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 11:37 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,488,994 times
yeah, one of my favorite events when I was in jersey. always fun going to waterloo.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:37 PM

191 posts, read 694,818 times
I haven't been in a while ever since a bad experience (served bad crawfish and raw chicken) but will most likely try it again this year since we A- need a fix (just returned from stuffing our faces with craws in New Orleans) and B- will be moving to Baton Rouge next year and want to introduce our friends to sucking heads.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:38 PM

7,212 posts, read 11,885,043 times
Haven't gone since they moved it from Waterloo. Very pricey now

Old 04-25-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Haven't gone since they moved it from Waterloo. Very pricey now
Yeah it was really nice when it was in Waterloo...it's grown so big and yes has gotten pricey so more then likely only 1 day for me

Old 04-25-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len-NJ View Post
I haven't been in a while ever since a bad experience (served bad crawfish and raw chicken) but will most likely try it again this year since we A- need a fix (just returned from stuffing our faces with craws in New Orleans) and B- will be moving to Baton Rouge next year and want to introduce our friends to sucking heads.

EWWW you had to of been sick!!

Baton Rouge?? Why there?? Just curious as I love Louisiana and my kids think I'm nuts

Old 04-25-2008, 01:16 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,608,127 times
I saw posters for this fest I am not sure what it is? People camp there also? someone tell me and what is a crawfish?

Old 04-25-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
I saw posters for this fest I am not sure what it is? People camp there also? someone tell me and what is a crawfish?

It's a festival with Zydeco & Cajun music....Louisiana brought to Jersey
here is a crawfish..I love them, hubbie says they aren't worth the effort
Attached Thumbnails
Craw Fish Festival-crawfish.jpg  

Old 04-25-2008, 01:24 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,608,127 times
by the looks of it hubby seems correct.......

Old 04-25-2008, 01:59 PM

191 posts, read 694,818 times
njkate - yes we did get sick and it left a 'bad taste' in our memories about the festival but there isn't much to do around here that fit our preferences so we will try it again.

As far as Baton Rouge is concerned, we absolutely love Louisiana and originally intended to move to New Orleans but I did some thinking about what is important to me when finding a relo option such as larger/cheaper property options, outdoor living potential, nice people, amazing cuisine and culture and the ability to bring my elderly mom. New Orleans is more expensive with many properties offering no backyards or parking, most likely will flood again (can't let mom go through that) and their future is still very unclear if not a complete standstill. Whereas Baton Rouge is centrally located (less than 90 mins from NO) is safer in regards to flooding issues, the people are unbelievable, there is so much opportunity - they are growing like crazy, you can get a 'personal size' mansion for under $300k and due to the La homestead rebate, you don't pay taxes on the first $75k of your home and are taxed on a portion of the remainder so for example you can get a $150k 3br 2ba on a good sized lot needing cosmetic repairs and your annual taxes would run about $750 or $1500 for that newly constructed mini mansion in a subdivision with stocked lake for fishing (see fsbobr dot com for examples). Naturally there are negatives such as crime (after living in Jersey City and near Newark, we’ll be fine), the education system is horrendous and you must go private (we don’t/won’t have kids so not an issue) and of course it’s pretty hot for a good part of the year (the devil would complain) but I won’t as I lay by my pool and outdoor bar/kitchen constructed with all the money saved by not living in NJ enjoying a cold beer and cracking crabs (btw, they have drive thru crawfish stands in Baton Rouge!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey