Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 10:22 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,022 times

Advertisements

I saw something on the news last night that suggested some states might continue lock down into late June early July. Since NY and NJ are being hit hardest I'd expect we're on that list...

We can't stay locked in until a vaccine comes out. It will destroy the economy to an apocalyptic state, neighbors breaking into houses just to find food for their kids. Companies going out of business, not simply furloughing, we may never recover in our life time.

We need to get as much PPE out there as possible, let the curve come down a bit allowing hospitals to reset, then we'll simply have no choice but to reopen.

This is a tragic natural disaster not too unlike an earthquake or tsunami. There is no way to avoid tragedy. This is a no win situation no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
For logistical reasons I don't see how any of the businesses at the shore will be able to open this summer. These businesses need lead time to ramp up for the season - hiring staff, ordering supplies, food, etc. Now is the time when that needs to happen to be ready for summer. You can't just unlock a door and be ready to go. No business is going to hire people or order supplies with so much uncertainty around if or when they would be able to open. It was also mentioned yesterday that NYC pools will be closed for the summer, and likely the beaches too. So if you "do the math", all those people from NYC would be flooding into NJ pools and beaches which is exactly what we don't want. As they have been saying all along it will have to be a coordinated effort across the whole region.

As for schools opening, I just don't see that happening this year. Calling out the May 15th date is just a way to buy time to officially close them after that.

I don't know why I'm not seeing more people talk about this. That has been my thought all along. The Jersey Shore is getting nailed right now. Not only is it businesses like you stated but even the vacation rentals. People depend on getting high weekly rents in spring and summer in order to cover mortgage, tax, insurance for the rest of the year. There's no bookings, tons of cancellations, if this goes past memorial day the people who depend on summer rents are going to get really hurt and may be forced to sell the homes out of desperation or be forced into a foreclosure.

Beach/vacation towns all over the country could see their own housing crisis.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:22 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,138,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I took a long walk today, as has become my habit, and from the traffic on the roads, you would think NJ was already open. It was around 2:30 - 3:30, and except for the absence of schoolbuses, you'd have thought it was any pre-COVID day.
I have noticed the same thing in the mornings. There are so many cars on the highway I don't know where all these people are going. They can't all be essential workers.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:46 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,540,780 times
Quote:
I have noticed the same thing in the mornings. There are so many cars on the highway I don't know where all these people are going. They can't all be essential workers.
Well I have to go shopping today (weekly trip), so I imagine everyone else does, too.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Well I have to go shopping today (weekly trip), so I imagine everyone else does, too.

out of curiosity.. an no offense intended at all. Is this a weekly shopping trip out of necessity because of financial reasons or simply habit?

The reason I ask is my wife and I did a big shopping trip March 7th when the first cases hit in NYC and I realized what was coming. That lasted us a solid 4 weeks, then we did instacart and had another 3-4 weeks worth of food delivered.

Every time you leave the house it's creating an opportunity for the virus so why not avoid it as much as possible by purchasing multiple weeks worth of food? I know people who could buy a years worth of food but are still going weekly and for the life of me I simply don't understand why...

Old 04-18-2020, 12:01 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,540,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
out of curiosity.. an no offense intended at all. Is this a weekly shopping trip out of necessity because of financial reasons or simply habit?

The reason I ask is my wife and I did a big shopping trip March 7th when the first cases hit in NYC and I realized what was coming. That lasted us a solid 4 weeks, then we did instacart and had another 3-4 weeks worth of food delivered.

Every time you leave the house it's creating an opportunity for the virus so why not avoid it as much as possible by purchasing multiple weeks worth of food? I know people who could buy a years worth of food but are still going weekly and for the life of me I simply don't understand why...
Not only do I not have that kind of money, I would have nowhere to put 4 weeks worth of food. I only go to one store. I wear a mask and gloves and I'm in and out in 30 minutes.

I was/am an Amazon Prime Whole Foods shopper, so getting groceries delivered is not an option for me.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Not only do I not have that kind of money, I would have nowhere to put 4 weeks worth of food. I only go to one store. I wear a mask and gloves and I'm in and out in 30 minutes.

I was/am an Amazon Prime Whole Foods shopper, so getting groceries delivered is not an option for me.

Totally get it, was just curious.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:10 PM

668 posts, read 470,095 times
Quote:

I have to go to my job 2 days a week , (Trenton area) and the roads are DEAD the 2 days i drive in. 8:30 am, which is normally bumper to bumper.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:14 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,074,221 times
We need to drop the notion that masks, gloves and "social distancing" are accomplishing anything. Herd
immunity makes so much more sense and we could open up faster.

Let people make their own choices. The numbers simply don't justify the hysteria. The 2008-2009 flu had
many more infected and fatalities and nothing was closed.

We also need to send Phil Murphy a copy of the Constitution. Maybe thousands of copies.

This is as stupid and useless as hiding under your little wooden desk for a bomb scare back in the 1950's.

Last edited by ElizNJ; 04-18-2020 at 12:23 PM..

Old 04-18-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizNJ View Post
We need to drop the notion that masks, gloves and "social distancing" are accomplishing anything. Herd
immunity makes so much more sense and we could open up faster.

Let people make their own choices. The numbers simply don't justify the hysteria. The 2008-2009 flu had
many more infected and fatalities and nothing was closed.

We also need to send Phil Murphy a copy of the Constitution. Maybe thousands of copies.

This is as stupid and useless as hiding under your little wooden desk for a bomb scare back in the 1950's.

OMG... stop, just stop... We're losing over 2,000 people a day. You're comparing a year of flu numbers to a month of CV-19 numbers. The flu takes 160 lives a day.. even with 3-4 weeks of social distancing we still lost almost 40,000 Americans in a month, and that includes the ramp up period.

I agree that the country will need to open back up but DO NOT act like this isn't a big deal.

Imagine if the government did nothing and we lost 100,000 people in a month, then you'd be crying they didn't do enough. When we suddenly hit flu numbers will you magically realize it was a big deal? Do you really lack that forward thinking?

Just stop... The government isn't trying to take away you're rights, they're trying to keep you alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey