Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 08:25 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
The NBC News part, yes.
The WSJ - questionable?

Edit: I once read somewhere that the WSJ is about 25% of the time liberal-sided, this is why I said "questionable?".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 08:31 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
When it comes to schools, Gov Murphy really seems like he will try hard to reopen. In fact one of the school districts I follow in Union County on facebook actually posted that they are going to begin Yearbook orders online with the hope that the students can get them and sign each other's yearbooks once school reopens again. I know that many of you are against schools reopening, but there is also a large push from the NJEA to get them reopened before the end of June, if it is safe by then. Many teachers (especially younger grades) really want to see their students in person one last time. Also, high schools really want to give their final exams in person to avoid cheating and provide students' schedules for September to avoid September chaos. I would not be surprised if some districts are allowed to open for the last 3-4 weeks of the school year, probably on a staggered schedule. It is also very possible since the infection rate is really starting to improve dramatically this past week.

I also agree with some above posters that our economy MUST reopen fairly soon because we simply cannot function as a state or country financially if this continues much longer. We are quickly approaching the point where lockdowns will be causing much more damage than the virus itself. But but but...people are dying! Well, although it is sad, people die from a tbousand other things besides this virus every day....thats LIFE!

One last note, since I started this thread on Reopenings, I'd like to point out that NJ, NY, and CT have already reopened private marinas for boating. Therefore, reopenings have already began. I am sure in the next two weeks, they will reopen something else. It will be slowly phased in, until all non essentials are reopened by early or mid June according to latest news on NBC and ABC.
Do you hear yourself? I hope to god you don't have to test this theory because one of your kids comes home sick from the newly reopened school. smh.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:44 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
I wonder (seriously) what is meant when people say, "The Lockdown is Worse Than the Virus."
Sure, in its "locked down" form.
The question is - is the lockdown worse than the Virus - in its Free Range form?

There's no evidence you won't catch it twice or twenty times. There's no immunity. There's no vaccine. There's no seasonality. There's no sign that it's just "disappearing." None of that.
We're about to "start over" in many places. Opening up is pretty much the same thing as never locking down, since you have active - contagious - cases in your neighborhood.

So we're about to do a great experiment - and then we'll really know: Is the lockdown worse than the virus?

Old 04-20-2020, 08:47 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
I wonder (seriously) what is meant when people say, "The Lockdown is Worse Than the Virus."
Sure, in its "locked down" form.
The question is - is the lockdown worse than the Virus - in its Free Range form?

There's no evidence you won't catch it twice or twenty times. There's no immunity. There's no vaccine. There's no seasonality. There's no sign that it's just "disappearing." None of that.
We're about to "start over" in many places. Opening up is pretty much the same thing as never locking down, since you have active - contagious - cases in your neighborhood.

So we're about to do a great experiment - and then we'll really know: Is the lockdown worse than the virus?

Open your mind and you'll eventually figure it out.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
i wonder (seriously) what is meant when people say, "the lockdown is worse than the virus."
sure, in its "locked down" form.
The question is - is the lockdown worse than the virus - in its free range form?

There's no evidence you won't catch it twice or twenty times. There's no immunity. There's no vaccine. There's no seasonality. There's no sign that it's just "disappearing." none of that.

+1

Old 04-20-2020, 10:56 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
The NBC News part, yes.
The WSJ - questionable?

I highly doubt they're making up poll numbers regardless of their leanings. That goes for both sides. I think ignoring a poll because you think the other side just makes up the poll numbers out of whole cloth is real tin foil hat stuff, personally.

I am not surprised by the poll numbers at all. The people who are loudest can make it appear they are the majority, but most people are not extreme in either direction politically, and a lot of people are afraid. It would have surprised me more if the majority didn't want a carefully planned and timed re-opening erring on the side of caution.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:33 AM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
There's no evidence you won't catch it twice or twenty times.

There's no immunity.

There's no vaccine.

There's no seasonality.

There's no sign that it's just "disappearing".

Similarly, for all of these points, there is nothing (no proof) to think to the contrary.

The current (though unproven) CW is that there is immunity, and there will be a vaccine.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:38 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
The current (though unproven) CW is that there is immunity, and there will be a vaccine.
Yes, on both points, but there is some disagreement among medical authorities regarding the duration of that immunity.
And, a vaccine probably won't be available to the general public for 12-18 months.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Similarly, for all of these points, there is nothing (no proof) to think to the contrary.

Key word being “unproven.” Doesn’t mean never but we’re not there yet. And it’s going to be a while. Rushing into it and hoping for the best has the potential to backfire exponentially.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:46 AM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
...And it’s going to be a while.

I disagree, researchers are far along on them (plural, as there will be more than one vaccine).

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...asons-for-hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Rushing into it and hoping for the best has the potential to backfire exponentially.

How so ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey