Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 12:21 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I highly doubt they're making up poll numbers regardless of their leanings. That goes for both sides. I think ignoring a poll because you think the other side just makes up the poll numbers out of whole cloth is real tin foil hat stuff, personally.

I am not surprised by the poll numbers at all. The people who are loudest can make it appear they are the majority, but most people are not extreme in either direction politically, and a lot of people are afraid. It would have surprised me more if the majority didn't want a carefully planned and timed re-opening erring on the side of caution.

Just like Hillary was supposed to win handily - same source, I remember that all too well.

This is no different, not at all even though it's for this virus IMO.

The MSM on the very most part with very VERY few exceptions does not rate with me IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 12:29 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post

How so ?
Primarily because totally asymptomatic people can carry it and without adequate testing whether it's for the virus or anti bodies or whatever, we can't isolate people who could be spreading it without knowing it.

If we can have a vaccine by the fall as that article states, great. But I would like to point out that doctor and those results are in the UK. Getting results like that past the FDA in the US is a lot harder. Most science I have read say that clinical trials could be ready by the fall, but it will take longer for a widespread vaccine to be available. Hope springs eternal. Science not so much.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:47 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post

Just like Hillary was supposed to win handily - same source, I remember that all too well.

This is no different, not at all even though it's for this virus IMO.

The MSM on the very most part with very VERY few exceptions does not rate with me IMO.
I don’t think they made up those numbers either. Polls may not always accurately reflect what people really think, but it doesn’t mean that the journalists are actually making up the numbers. In this case though I do believe more people are afraid of re-opening too prematurely.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-20-2020 at 01:09 PM..

Old 04-20-2020, 03:10 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Most science I have read say that clinical trials could be ready by the fall, but it will take longer for a widespread vaccine to be available. Hope springs eternal. Science not so much.
... especially when the employment record of our newly-appointed COVID Testing Czar doesn't inspire confidence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...&wpisrc=nl_tyh

Old 04-20-2020, 03:36 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
... especially when the employment record of our newly-appointed COVID Testing Czar doesn't inspire confidence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...&wpisrc=nl_tyh

oh good god. it's just a bottomless pit.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:58 PM

551 posts, read 1,187,478 times
Moderna and JNJ are already in human clinical trials for the vaccine. MSM spreads way too much misinformation and fear rather than strategies to help tide us through
-antibody testing is worthless, just today WHO released clinical trial where pt with antibodies got reinfected
-testing for CV is viable but that would involve testing daily or every other day not worth it
-social distancing, tele working for as many businesses that can is the way to go until vaccine is available

Old 04-26-2020, 02:56 PM

1,138 posts, read 856,433 times
The Governor said today that it will still be several more weeks until NJ can begin reopening. But saying "several more weeks" still doesn't give us any indication of a timeline. Does several more weeks mean 3 weeks? Does it mean 4 weeks? If it means 4 weeks, then why not just say we are about a month away from reopening? It is a poor choice of words. Meanwhile, our infection rates and hospitalization rates are starting to decline, so the Governor needs to start being a little more optimistic. Meanwhile parks in Jersey City are reopening next week, DMV plans to reopen around May 12, and some municipal courts are also reopening in May according to NJ Supreme Court. Therefore, NJ is technically starting to slowly reopen now, despite Murphy leaving these items out of his daily news conferences.

I enjoyed listening to Cuomo a little more today because at least he said that parts of NY can probably begin reopening on May 15 (starting with manufacturing and construction). He also promises that there will be "summer activities" in NYC this summer. Although he was vague, he sounded more upbeat than Murphy.

Old 04-26-2020, 03:22 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
The Governor said today that it will still be several more weeks until NJ can begin reopening. But saying "several more weeks" still doesn't give us any indication of a timeline. Does several more weeks mean 3 weeks? Does it mean 4 weeks? If it means 4 weeks, then why not just say we are about a month away from reopening? It is a poor choice of words. Meanwhile, our infection rates and hospitalization rates are starting to decline, so the Governor needs to start being a little more optimistic. Meanwhile parks in Jersey City are reopening next week, DMV plans to reopen around May 12, and some municipal courts are also reopening in May according to NJ Supreme Court. Therefore, NJ is technically starting to slowly reopen now, despite Murphy leaving these items out of his daily news conferences.

I enjoyed listening to Cuomo a little more today because at least he said that parts of NY can probably begin reopening on May 15 (starting with manufacturing and construction). He also promises that there will be "summer activities" in NYC this summer. Although he was vague, he sounded more upbeat than Murphy.
It's the perfect choice of words. It means he doesn't know until more unfolds and he is not going to risk saying something more definite now that he will have to back out of later.

Old 04-26-2020, 04:18 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post

Agreed. Plus, the multi-state panel was made so as to coordinate the openings amongst the governors.

He's really been inconsistent with his recent messages

Old 04-26-2020, 06:26 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's the perfect choice of words. It means he doesn't know until more unfolds and he is not going to risk saying something more definite now that he will have to back out of later.
Damn him!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey