Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2020, 07:19 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,634,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
Direct sunlight, usually associated with heat.

It does not wait at the mailbox, waiting to jump out and get you like the Boogeyman, though.. some uhhh errr ummm "experts.." Well who knows what they are saying this week.

If the virus does spread, it is in the cool AC when you get back to your house, or by touching things at the air conditioned supermarket etc. Florida: You live in the AC. You go from your air-conditioned house, to your air-conditioned car. (Maybe it lives in your car?) Then you go from your air conditioned car.. to the air conditioned store. Get out of the air-conditioned store, go back to your air-conditioned car. Go to another air-conditioned store, go to your air-conditioned job (if you are lucky enough to work inside, or in a refrigerated warehouse like me..) Then go back to your air-conditioned house. Texas may be the same.. Never been. Lived in Florida though. REALLY hot down there but sometimes you can adapt and sometimes you have to stay inside it is too hot. Depends.

Yeah but... you know what other place is EXACTLY like that in the summertime? New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 07:39 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
And unfortunately, this is all intelligent guesswork. Because we had no coordinated response, we now have no coordinated reliable information.
We KNOW that people with type A are more susceptible. We KNOW that people can have T cells that give them either immunity or protect them from the severity that can happen in others. There are some who are immune to the flu. I might be one of them, since as far as I know I’ve never once had the flu, and have never had the flu vaccine.

To be fair, there could be guesswork involved at this point as to how many Covid cases are those with type A, and just how prevalent the T cells are in the general population. I’m sure there are studies in the works (if that info isn’t available now), and we’ll see that soon.

It’s sad, and can be scary, to see so many sick all at once, but there are very scientific, valid studies that are showing the worst may be behind us in the heavily hit states. There’s one more study that I didn’t list here because it’s too scientific, lol. I don’t understand most of it, and my microbiologist doctor friend is parsing it down as best he can for me. I’ll give an update when he does.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:17 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
We KNOW that people with type A are more susceptible. We KNOW that people can have T cells that give them either immunity or protect them from the severity that can happen in others. There are some who are immune to the flu. I might be one of them, since as far as I know I’ve never once had the flu, and have never had the flu vaccine.

To be fair, there could be guesswork involved at this point as to how many Covid cases are those with type A, and just how prevalent the T cells are in the general population. I’m sure there are studies in the works (if that info isn’t available now), and we’ll see that soon.

It’s sad, and can be scary, to see so many sick all at once, but there are very scientific, valid studies that are showing the worst may be behind us in the heavily hit states. There’s one more study that I didn’t list here because it’s too scientific, lol. I don’t understand most of it, and my microbiologist doctor friend is parsing it down as best he can for me. I’ll give an update when he does.
So what? What advantages does knowing any of that give us? I’ve had the flu. Never had a flu vaccine. I’m O+ not A. Meh. All of that is all well and good but until we get consistent reliable testing where we can truly breathe a sigh of relief and be able to depend on the results, it’s all still a crap shoot. I think the positive part of the science is having a lot more knowledge in knowing how to treat the people who do get it and mitigating the affects.

My son and daughter in law got tested today because she’s been feeling sick and is running a fever. They are 26, healthy, exercise regularly, eat well, have been wearing masks and social distance. All that science isn’t going to matter if they are both infected.

Last edited by Hannah5555; 07-23-2020 at 08:28 PM..

Old 07-24-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
So what? What advantages does knowing any of that give us? I’ve had the flu. Never had a flu vaccine. I’m O+ not A. Meh. All of that is all well and good but until we get consistent reliable testing where we can truly breathe a sigh of relief and be able to depend on the results, it’s all still a crap shoot. I think the positive part of the science is having a lot more knowledge in knowing how to treat the people who do get it and mitigating the affects.

My son and daughter in law got tested today because she’s been feeling sick and is running a fever. They are 26, healthy, exercise regularly, eat well, have been wearing masks and social distance. All that science isn’t going to matter if they are both infected.
It matters if we can say with some certainty that the infection rate will remain low from this point on. My kids can go to school. I can finally go back to work and maybe afford to pay the mortgage without taking even more money out of what is supposed to be used for our retirement. Not everyone has the problem of being merely bored or wanting to work out in a gym. At least we’re not having to rely on food banks. Yet.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:55 AM

7,352 posts, read 3,522,888 times
Quote:
Not everyone has the problem of being merely bored or wanting to work out in a gym. At least we’re not having to rely on food banks. Yet.
It's funny, you see so many people saying how fearful they are of the virus, yet when it comes to people's impulses (gee, I have to hook up with a stranger or go to the mall) it all goes out the window and they just do what they want anyway. Older boomers seem to be okay with not doing anything, but anyone younger seem quite hypocritical. They want it both ways: locked down, but not locked down.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:14 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Who told you that? That was a rumor people were clinging to in March. Have you ever been to Texas or Florida in the summer?? Heat is not killing the virus.
I also saw a doctor on television dispel the breathing myth regarding masks yesterday. He put on six surgical mask, one on top of the other, and his O2 saturation was still 98%. It’s uncomfortable yes, but it doesn’t impede breathing for people without respiratory conditions.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
It matters if we can say with some certainty that the infection rate will remain low from this point on. My kids can go to school. I can finally go back to work and maybe afford to pay the mortgage without taking even more money out of what is supposed to be used for our retirement. Not everyone has the problem of being merely bored or wanting to work out in a gym. At least we’re not having to rely on food banks. Yet.
I couldn't agree more and I just don't know how we can say that yet and we still need reliable testing. I'm dying to get back to normal. People can be as rude, hateful, obnoxious and snarky as they want. Doesn't change anything.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I couldn't agree more and I just don't know how we can say that yet and we still need reliable testing. I'm dying to get back to normal. People can be as rude, hateful, obnoxious and snarky as they want. Doesn't change anything.
I sure hope you’re not confusing my post on being concerned about providing for my family with something as trivial as “snark”. And if wanting, NEEDING, to get back to work and a more normal life in order to do that means I’m hateful or rude, then so be it.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I sure hope you’re not confusing my post on being concerned about providing for my family with something as trivial as “snark”. And if wanting, NEEDING, to get back to work and a more normal life in order to do that means I’m hateful or rude, then so be it.
I was not referring to anything you said at all. I'm done.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I was not referring to anything you said at all. I'm done.
Maybe you shouldn’t have quoted my post, then talked about rude, hateful, obnoxious snark. Notice I gave you some benefit of doubt and said I hoped you didn’t mean me, despite the fact you quoted me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey