Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2020, 03:59 PM

164 posts, read 141,694 times

Advertisements

To quickly answer below poster in short form (what could/is/should be a longer explanation):

Governor Phil Murphy could talk about it.

It's not that hard. He could even do it every day.

I listen to his increasingly Trump-ish talks every day and he is basically just water-skiing off the Coat-Tails of Governor Cuomo. I wanted to like him, but he is just dancing around through this critical time in office when he could actually instead be shining.

I am extremely disappointed from an ex-"Hasty Puddings" President and a one-time fellow Hong-Kong resident. He should know waaAAaay better than this.

He could simply address it everyday like Governor Newsom of California does. Hypothetical Examples:

"...Finally, on the issue of Unemployment, this is where we are today -- the requested and proposed bill passed the house and today it went to the senate after which the president...."

"...in the end, let me give a quick update on the Unemployment front... we are waiting for the NJ share of funds to be received, and we expect them to be in place by..."

"...Next up, let me mention because I know after more than a month countless New Jersey residents are still waiting for this, they are afraid of putting food on the table for fear of falling behind on their Credit Card payments or other Loans; I want to let them know that we expect to have the Extended Pandemic Unemployment Assistance disbursement commence as soon as we receive the guidance from the Federal Government for which we have given a Hard Deadline of xx-xx-2020..."

"...In addition, I want to also quickly address Unemployment Benefits before I open up to your questions, we found a Hiccup yesterday/this morning and as a result this is where we are with these as of now:
1) New Claims
2) Processing Date for Claims filed xx-xx-xxxx
3) Extended Unemployment Assistance for those who have already exhausted their benefits should be ready by xx-xx (i.e. the end of the month.)
4) Due to the surge of Calls we are considering expanded hours for Phone Lines from 8am to 8pm and extending the hours to Saturday and Sunday as of next week because god knows people might use a job right now."

I could go on and on.

Almost harkens to mind the lament Trump keeps bringing up although in Trump's case it isn't even a factual lament in the first place.

Getting a broken system is no excuse. Use it to take some action and win some free cookie points to boot just by letting people know 'what's up?'. We get it.

Would you like me to come and manage this for you Governor Murphy? I would love to help you maneuver this if only to keep millions of people informed and updated on something other than just the daily death toll. It's all relevant. All of it.

Delaware, Minnesota, and a couple other states have already implemented the PUA program or announced "Hard-Dates" with Minnesota even going so far as putting up a brilliant Step-by-Step guide.

https://www.uimn.org/assets/applicat...068-428207.pdf
https://news.delaware.gov/2020/04/17...ment-benefits/
https://www.labor.ca.gov/pandemic-un...e-pua-program/

There are plenty of other threads abound if you want to look.

I'm sorry but this is not the expected performance from a Hasty Puddings president.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t think there’s much he can do. This problem is in all states, in fact worse in some (Florida). There are way too many applying for them to keep up. They are already trying to bring back retired workers to help. He inherited an antiquated system and in fact are looking for people who know COBOL to help. In terms of things like the 13 week extension, which I am waiting for, they are still waiting for Federal guidance on how to roll it out. For sure it’s frustrating but I’m not sure what you think a different governor could do to make it quicker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 04:29 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstorm00 View Post
To quickly answer below poster in short form (what could/is/should be a longer explanation):

Governor Phil Murphy could talk about it.

It's not that hard. He could even do it every day.

I listen to his increasingly Trump-ish talks every day and he is basically just water-skiing off the Coat-Tails of Governor Cuomo. I wanted to like him, but he is just dancing around through this critical time in office when he could actually instead be shining.

I am extremely disappointed from an ex-"Hasty Puddings" President and a one-time fellow Hong-Kong resident. He should know waaAAaay better than this.

He could simply address it everyday like Governor Newsom of California does. Hypothetical Examples:

"...Finally, on the issue of Unemployment, this is where we are today -- the requested and proposed bill passed the house and today it went to the senate after which the president...."

"...in the end, let me give a quick update on the Unemployment front... we are waiting for the NJ share of funds to be received, and we expect them to be in place by..."

"...Next up, let me mention because I know after more than a month countless New Jersey residents are still waiting for this, they are afraid of putting food on the table for fear of falling behind on their Credit Card payments or other Loans; I want to let them know that we expect to have the Extended Pandemic Unemployment Assistance disbursement commence as soon as we receive the guidance from the Federal Government for which we have given a Hard Deadline of xx-xx-2020..."

"...In addition, I want to also quickly address Unemployment Benefits before I open up to your questions, we found a Hiccup yesterday/this morning and as a result this is where we are with these as of now:
1) New Claims
2) Processing Date for Claims filed xx-xx-xxxx
3) Extended Unemployment Assistance for those who have already exhausted their benefits should be ready by xx-xx (i.e. the end of the month.)
4) Due to the surge of Calls we are considering expanded hours for Phone Lines from 8am to 8pm and extending the hours to Saturday and Sunday as of next week because god knows people might use a job right now."

I could go on and on.

Almost harkens to mind the lament Trump keeps bringing up although in Trump's case it isn't even a factual lament in the first place.

Getting a broken system is no excuse. Use it to take some action and win some free cookie points to boot just by letting people know 'what's up?'. We get it.

Would you like me to come and manage this for you Governor Murphy? I would love to help you maneuver this if only to keep millions of people informed and updated on something other than just the daily death toll. It's all relevant. All of it.

Delaware, Minnesota, and a couple other states have already implemented the PUA program or announced "Hard-Dates" with Minnesota even going so far as putting up a brilliant Step-by-Step guide.

https://www.uimn.org/assets/applicat...068-428207.pdf
https://news.delaware.gov/2020/04/17...ment-benefits/
https://www.labor.ca.gov/pandemic-un...e-pua-program/

There are plenty of other threads abound if you want to look.

I'm sorry but this is not the expected performance from a Hasty Puddings president.
You make sense I would like to hear briefings like Cuomo does, I find them fascinating and it is obvious his life revolves around this virus and learning as much as he can. I’d be surprised if he sleeps more than 4 or 5 hours a night. It makes people feel assured that someone with knowledge is in charge.

I didn’t know about the other states and the PUA. I am one who exhausted unemployment benefits and still awaiting NJ PUA 13 week extension. And my fiancé is a contractor. The website continually says “we are awaiting Federal guidance please check back for updates”.

I think the closures were necessary though and to be honest even without income coming in (we were lucky to have decent paying jobs and so have a few months of savings) I’m glad not to be in a state that is reopening everything. I’m scared of this virus. I’m 58 and my fiancé 54, and both of us smoked for decades before quitting less than a year ago. I’d just as soon let someone else go first. I feel Murphy won’t re-open till he thinks it’s safe and that makes me feel better.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:42 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I’d just as soon let someone else go first. .
Yeah, me too. LOL.

Let the open-the-locknow-now folks get it and die off so the ICU beds will be empty if/when I get it.

I am not a good sick person. The first Shingrix shot was not a good experience.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
Yeah, me too. LOL.

Let the open-the-locknow-now folks get it and die off so the ICU beds will be empty if/when I get it.

I am not a good sick person. The first Shingrix shot was not a good experience.

Mine wasn't either, but I think the pharmacist didn't know what she was doing. It felt like she injected it in the bone on top of my shoulder. It hurt like heck while she was doing it and took forever, and my shoulder to my hand was very painful and sore for 3 days. I dreaded getting the second, but it was a different pharmacist and it was nothing like the first, felt like any other shot. When I described the woman who did the first one, he kind of snickered with the tech and they looked at each other like they should have known it was her. Guess they don't think she's very competent either.

I'm not a good patient in the hospital, at home I'm okay.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:47 PM

Why is Murphy NOT continuing to address this wholeheartedly and putting this PEUC problem at the forefront at all??

I AM SO INCREDIBLY DISAPPOINTED.

I hope I'm in some kind of position to further have a conversation about this because thus far, especially at this point, I am simply flailing.

He failed us. The System simply failed us. My vote for him failed us all. I am EMBARASSED.

And I will never forget his stance especially on PEUC when it comes to next Voting time.

There was an 80 year old woman who worked tirelessly through 1:30am one night to make sure her bills pass laws through Congress -- I don't give a damn if she has had to take a Private Plane 3 times a week to get to Washington to get it done (how else is she supposed to? -- we are all human) -- She is phenomenal and an inspiration to every American -- such a travesty that it does not seem to pass through over down to her regional counterparts.

I will even vote for a Republican Governor come next time. I can't stand him (Murphy) anymore. I have to turn off the TV whenever I hear his voice it seethes through my blood in an indescribable fashion. -- I start getting some kind of blood pressure issue.

But god please help me; 3 months later, I can no longer take it and I WILL vote for anyone else except for Murphy.

Please god, Help us get through this and get someone sane to understand our tribulations for I am no longer able to take it anymore.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:19 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
Quote:
Why is Murphy NOT continuing to address this wholeheartedly and putting this PEUC problem at the forefront at all??

I hope I'm in some kind of position to further have a conversation about this because thus far, especially at this point, I am simply flailing.

He failed us. The System simply failed us. My vote for him failed us all. I am EMBARASSED.

And I will never forget his stance especially on PEUC when it comes to next Voting time.

There was an 80 year old woman who worked tirelessly through 1:30am one night to make sure her bills pass laws through Congress -- I don't give a damn if she has had to take a Private Plane 3 times a week to get to Washington to get it done (how else is she supposed to? -- we are all human) -- She is phenomenal and an inspiration to every American -- such a travesty that it does not seem to pass through over down to her regional counterparts.

I will even vote for a Republican Governor come next time. I can't stand him (Murphy) anymore. I have to turn off the TV whenever I hear his voice it seethes through my blood in an indescribable fashion. -- I start getting some kind of blood pressure issue.

But god please help me; 3 months later, I can no longer take it and I WILL vote for anyone else except for Murphy.

Please god, Help us get through this and get someone sane to understand our tribulations for I am no longer able to take it anymore.

Have you tried the yoga?

Old 05-18-2020, 10:03 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
Quote:

I couldn't "stand him" when he was running for governor, what took you so long?

People will be voting before the next governor election with their feet.
I expect the NJ sheeple (and boy do we have that share of posters in here) that will double-down and vote for him again.
Maybe a doubling or tripling of the property tax all at once "might" wake the sheeple up IMO.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
I couldn't "stand him" when he was running for governor, what took you so long?

People will be voting before the next governor election with their feet.
I expect the NJ sheeple (and boy do we have that share of posters in here) that will double-down and vote for him again.
Maybe a doubling or tripling of the property tax all at once "might" wake the sheeple up IMO.
Well I don’t see how property tax raises are even avoidable, if we’re not going to get any federal money to help with our coronavirus response. I certainly hope it doesn’t happen, but it’s going to be a problem.

In any case, the problems with the unemployment system go back a long time before Murphy. No governor chose to address it.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Have you tried the yoga?

Hi -- Do you mean like real Yoga exercises?

I thought I'd try to mix in things like that with the daily COVID-safety routine, so tried to do it while practicing taking off shoes at the doorway while standing on one leg at a time without touching anything, but I fell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey