Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 02:25 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Three really nice, affluent, semi-rural towns. I almost bought a townhouse in Randolph, but it was a bit too expensive for me, so I bought nearby in Mount Arlington.

Really can’t figure out why Randolph has struggled to attract businesses. Yeah, Route 10 is rough, but still, the area has $$$ and that Shoppes at Randolph area that has been “in development” for what, fifteen years? There were rumors of a Trader Joe’s coming to the town six or seven years ago, and instead, the town got a Weis (meh) and is getting a Wawa. The town would be much better off with a TJs or Whole Foods.

Chester has a small, quaint downtown and some nice local shops, including a very good Thai restaurant, a good cupcake place, and a decent bagel place (and decent bagels are hard to find in this area). They also have a drive-thru Panera, so... Whoop on that.

As far as Mendham? It’s the wealthiest of the three towns (and that’s saying something) but probably has the least to do in town.

All three are really nice, but, if NYC commute wasn’t an issue, I’d probably go with Chester.
Chester has a number of decent restaurants. Fresco Mexican and the Steak house is OK, cant remember the name. It's nothing I would TRAVEL to, but if I lived there. Forgot about Alstede Farms too.

The commercial areas of Randolph and Roxbury have seen better days. The hub of commerce in Randolph, the Kmart, is gone. There's no reason to have anything there when all the shops in East Hanover are so close. But there's some stuff there.

There was decent bar we used to go to in Randolph but I think its closed.

That area of Chester/Mt Olive/Flanders also probably has more supermarkets per capita than anywhere in NJ. Could never figure out why theres so many food markets for so little people.

In terms of resale value, I could be wrong, but I would think Chester would destory those other 2 towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 02:43 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
randolph has forte's, alpha bagels and ccm. Brookyln bagels make a better croissant egg and cheese though.

Chester only has Thai kitchen, a farmers market in the spring, and some yoga places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Forte’s is good, but expensive. Johnny Jr. in Netcong and The Grotto in Hopatcong make pizza just as good for less money.

Thai Kitchen is excellent, plus they also have that really cool fish with the brain sticking out swimming around their tank. Bonus points for that.

As far as bagels, Alfa did not impress me. The best in the area is also the newest, and that’s The Bagel Place in Mount Arlington. Praise [insert deity of your choice], it’s great that the area finally has a decent bagel. Pops in Wharton and now Landing is good and my second choice in the area, but the Bagel Place has them beat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I went to your The Bagel Place. I wasn't that impressed. Did not know they opened a Pops in Landing. DOn't like the sandwiches at pops. Only the bagels in the morning. They skimp out on the meat. They are gentrifying Landing a lot. I think it is missing a supermarket.

Johnny Jr's isn't too bad. There was another you mentioned that I still have not tried. But I love fortes grandma square with/without sausage and the forte special with sausage.

I still love alfa though.
IMHO, basing the purchase of a home on the presence of local restaurants that might--or, very possibly, might not--still be in existence a few months from now would be... shortsighted. Many small businesses--including restos and bagel places--will be unable to survive the current, necessary, long-term closures.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:43 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
That area of Chester/Mt Olive/Flanders also probably has more supermarkets per capita than anywhere in NJ. Could never figure out why theres so many food markets for so little people.
But no decent specialty food stores! All the area has is Weis, which I would classify as one step above “abomination” where Stop & Shop and Acme fall, and some so-so Shop-Rites. The area desperately needs some high-end food stores, whether a big chain or established local market. The remodeled Ledgewood Mall doesn’t need a Death Star-sized Wal-Mart selling low-quality food or more fast casual chain restaurants (except for the upcoming Starbucks, which is a positive). It needs Whole Foods, The Fresh Market, Stew Leonard’s, or even a good local food market, something like The Market Basket in Franklin Lakes or Maywood Market. Burrini’s in Randolph and The Market at Roxbury aren’t in the same universe as those joints.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:58 PM

8 posts, read 12,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
IMHO, basing the purchase of a home on the presence of local restaurants that might--or, very possibly, might not--still be in existence a few months from now would be... shortsighted. Many small businesses--including restos and bagel places--will be unable to survive the current, necessary, long-term closures.
I agree with you here. Some of the other posters' comments on local eateries I'm sure will be very helpful when things open back up again, but I do think everything is relatively close. Driving a few extra minutes is no big deal.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:07 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangezeal24 View Post
Some of the other posters' comments on local eateries I'm sure will be very helpful when--AND, IF--things open back up again.
Given the Federal response to the needs of small businesses--which has actually funneled most of those funds to large businesses--I fear that many small businesses will not be around in the long term.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:42 AM

40 posts, read 155,462 times
Mendham is a wonderful town full of very nice and kind people who really look out for their neighbors.
Schools are fantastic too. Lovely library will many activities for kids. Not many stores but very close to Morristown if that’s what you need. Definitely recommend it

Old 04-25-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeychops View Post
Mendham is a wonderful town full of very nice and kind people who really look out for their neighbors.
Schools are fantastic too. Lovely library will many activities for kids. Not many stores but very close to Morristown if that’s what you need. Definitely recommend it
Thanks!

Old 04-25-2020, 08:43 PM

213 posts, read 350,055 times
Both Chester and Mendham kids go to the same high school. Mendham is more desirable and closer to Morristown, in terms of value for money for dollar, the ranking would be Randolph, Chester, Mendham. if you can afford Mendham go for Mendham

Old 04-26-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosb View Post
Both Chester and Mendham kids go to the same high school. Mendham is more desirable and closer to Morristown, in terms of value for money for dollar, the ranking would be Randolph, Chester, Mendham. if you can afford Mendham go for Mendham
Thanks! One concern with Chester is the Black River WMA with a gun range. We don't noise from that.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,309 times
I hear from time to time shooting from the range if I am outside. I live in the Chester Borough, walking distance to
Main St. I bet some people in Randolph could hear it if they live in the Ironia section.

It's worth mentioning that there are 2 Chesters and 2 Mendhams. Both have a Borough and a Township, so 4 separate municipalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey