Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 10:25 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,230 times

Advertisements

CAN SOMEONE be specific about what the NJ Guido culture entails? Is this something like the Hip-Hop/Rap/ Bling/Bling concept?

Old 04-25-2008, 11:29 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times
Well, first let me give you a link to the video of the Guido in all his glory, i.e., "my new haircut"
YouTube - My New Haircut

Guidos are not always Italian, but they are all the same...urban middle/working class guys who listen to hip-hop crap and/or AWFUL club music, go to the gym to look good more than to work out, curse people out at the drop of a hat, are rude, LOUD, and IN YOUR FACE. They have girlfriends with names like "Angie", "Crystal", "Gena" or "Adrian" who have cup sizes bigger than their IQs. and, alas, THESE PEOPLE MAKE UP 1/3 JERSEY'S POPULATION!...the other thirds being the preppies and the thugs. Me? I am one of the maybe 5% of the population who is not any of these groups and want desperately to get out of this hellhole of a state.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:37 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,684 times
"Guido" is a mind-set. Just like "Yuppie" is.

You either think it's cool or you don't.

You don't find guido's all over the Pine Barrens or Central Jersey...you'll mostly find them in No. East NJ. Closer to NY. And Guido's don't usually have much in the bank account. All tawk no action. Or they drive it or wear it. Or they're a Gotti kid.

North East NJ does not equate to 2/3 of the state. It's a lot bigger than Bergen and Passaic counties.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:39 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post

You don't find guido's all over the Pine Barrens or Central Jersey...you'll mostly find them in No. East NJ. Closer to NY. And Guido's don't usually have much in the bank account. All tawk no action. Or they drive it or wear it. Or they're a Gotti kid.

North East NJ does not equate to 2/3 of the state. It's a lot bigger than Bergen and Passaic counties.
I think Essex county is the epicenter of Guido culture in NJ. I think that Guido culture is a lifestyle. Kind of like Hippies, authentic Preppies, and people in Urban culture. They dress and act a certain way thats different from the mainstream.

Last edited by Busch Boy; 04-26-2008 at 01:48 AM..

Old 04-26-2008, 08:38 AM

87 posts, read 332,983 times
Default Guido-types in South Jersey

Quote:

Try visiting Hammonton, NJ sometime. Hammonton, which borders the Pine Barrens, has the distinction of being the town with the second highest precentage of Italian-American residents per capita in the U.S.

Whether you think being a real Guido is cool or not, it's definitely lame if you're a wannabe Guido.

Hammonton, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-26-2008, 09:05 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Castello View Post
Try visiting Hammonton, NJ sometime. Hammonton, which borders the Pine Barrens, has the distinction of being the town with the second highest precentage of Italian-American residents per capita in the U.S.

Whether you think being a real Guido is cool or not, it's definitely lame if you're a wannabe Guido.

Hammonton, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
don't confuse italian culture with guido culture, guidos are a lower class urbane type, nothing like true italians who are warm, intelligent hard working people

Old 04-26-2008, 09:09 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
is it really necessary to have 2 guido threads!!! ahhhhh
can't seem to escape!

Old 04-26-2008, 09:17 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times
Quote:

First up, the pine Barrens are about ten square miles of swamp with the occassional pine tree, located in Southern Jersey and there are no Guidoes out there...just a bunch of yuppies in their McMansions. And Like I said, only one third of the population is in the Guido catagory...the other two are preppies/yuppies and dumb ghetto thug types. Lived here my whole life, and I can't wait to leave.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:14 AM

59 posts, read 104,970 times
Allow to me educate you on the subject. First of all, Guido "culture" is not just a culture, it is an ideology and a philosophy. I think it is one of the coolest "lifestyles" that have come out of the United States in the last 100 years. Obviously, it started with Italian-Americans but it is something that people of all races and ethnicities have started to embrace and the center of Guido culture is probably Essex County,NJ, many other parts of NJ as well as Long Island, Staten Island etc.

Some may thing it is stupid, tacky or idiotic, but I think it is cool. One thing to point out, Guido culture is not a fad, it is a culture that started maybe 100 years ago as Italian started coming to the USA. The culture went through many phases, the then the 70's (John Travolta, Saturday Night Fever), the 80's- IROC's and all that, now we are seeing 3rd-4th generation.

I don't see anything wrong with it, it is not a culture that promotes gang, violence or anything. Most guidos grow up to be very succesful, hard-working, law abiding citizens. I think it gives the Tri-State area a very interesting subculture. As you can see, the initial thread had more than 280 responses. Everybody wants to see what being a Guido is all about.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:18 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGUIDO View Post
Allow to me educate you on the subject. First of all, Guido "culture" is not just a culture, it is an ideology and a philosophy. I think it is one of the coolest "lifestyles" that have come out of the United States in the last 100 years. Obviously, it started with Italian-Americans but it is something that people of all races and ethnicities have started to embrace and the center of Guido culture is probably Essex County,NJ, many other parts of NJ as well as Long Island, Staten Island etc.

Some may thing it is stupid, tacky or idiotic, but I think it is cool. One thing to point out, Guido culture is not a fad, it is a culture that started maybe 100 years ago as Italian started coming to the USA. The culture went through many phases, the then the 70's (John Travolta, Saturday Night Fever), the 80's- IROC's and all that, now we are seeing 3rd-4th generation.

I don't see anything wrong with it, it is not a culture that promotes gang, violence or anything. Most guidos grow up to be very succesful, hard-working, law abiding citizens. I think it gives the Tri-State area a very interesting subculture. As you can see, the initial thread had more than 280 responses. Everybody wants to see what being a Guido is all about.
and the rest of us non guidos need someone to laugh at
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey