Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 05:50 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,114,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Yup 90% of it is, it's super parents like you who know everything and nothing at the same time. It's parents like you that my family is up at 4:am doing lesson plans and stay up till ten at night answering email questions from parents like you.Are all teacher perfect .......hell no but to throw blame on the teachers is ignorant and moronic by the parents!
I gave very specific feedback on how the district could improve their approach to make things more manageable for parents. Specifically, this could be accomplished by having consistency amongst all the teachers in the district so that we don't have 10 different teachers providing work and lessons in 10 different ways. This highlights a fault in the district's leadership and I have provided them with that feedback. Hopefully things will improve in the future.

Believe me, I understand the early mornings and late nights. I'm up at 5am to get some of my work out of the way so that I can help my kids during the "school" day. All day I'm trying to have conference calls for work while my kids are banging on the door because they need help with something. Then I'm up until 10pm finishing the work that could not get done during the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 07:35 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
LOL, when it comes to Teaching , yes, it does.
this doesnt really make any sense. this isnt an issue of teaching, it is whether or not schools should open. teaching is clearly not doing as well overall as when it is in a classroom so if it were based on teaching then they likely would want to open. this opinion is based on other factors that anyone can have an equivalent quality opinion on.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:28 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,234,786 times
I know the teachers are working from home and they are teaching their children and our children and the whole thing. But, whether we like it or not, we have set up a society that relies on 2 income households and the majority of working parents work during the day. The next month of school being closed may or may not be a big deal because i dont know when Im not longer going to be able to work from home. My son is 5. He goes to summer camp when school is out and camp isnt open either. Theoretically they will reopen at some point but if they close the schools for the end of the year, then camp may not open on time and I am not the only parent who will be having this problem. I will have to return to work. If the govt decides the teachers jobs are too dangerous but my job isnt where are my children supposed to go?

Noone likes to admit that schools double as childcare but they do. Especially in the low grades. He is not learning as much at home as he would be in school because there arent lessons. He just watches the video and does the assignment. Hes not retaining the information in the long run. I think schools should, if they cancel for the rest of the year, cancel the remainder of the lessons for the year and call the kids back to school a month early instead. Spend the first month catching up and then carry on with the school year. Forcing everyone to be stressed and overworked while trapped in a pandemic isnt providing a quality education. The only people who wouldnt benefit from this are seniors and by this point in the year they are pretty much just waiting for graduation anyway.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Noone likes to admit that schools double as childcare but they do.
we pay a lot of money for that service and it includes childcare. for some reason people think that if the government acts as a middleman between you and your service provider now everyone gets to have an opinion and you dont have any say in your services. if the government doesnt want to provide the service for which they have taken your money, then they should refund your money so you can find a service provider that will.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
we pay a lot of money for that service and it includes childcare. for some reason people think that if the government acts as a middleman between you and your service provider now everyone gets to have an opinion and you dont have any say in your services. if the government doesnt want to provide the service for which they have taken your money, then they should refund your money so you can find a service provider that will.
I agree for the most part. That's why I'm so tired of hearing all the "teachers are superheroes" nonsense and people hosting parades for their teachers. Meanwhile I'm the one that is home all day with my 5 year old while he is crying or throwing pencils across the room because he doesn't want to work. I just spent the past 2 hours this morning getting him to focus on work that should take no more than 20 minutes. I have not been able to do any of my own work during this time.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:56 AM

We already knew this was coming, but schools are now officially closed for the rest of the school year.

https://www.politico.com/states/new-...c-year-1281900

Old 05-04-2020, 02:04 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,620,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I agree for the most part. That's why I'm so tired of hearing all the "teachers are superheroes" nonsense and people hosting parades for their teachers.
What "teachers are superheroes" nonsense? What parade? You are usually fair and balanced-why pull this rhetoric out?

Teachers are no different than anyone else, there are great teachers, good teachers, bad teachers, and everything in between.

The superheroes right now are the healthcare workers and first responders, this has been made abundantly clear time and again over the past few weeks. No teacher in their right mind would call themselves a superhero right now. I'm a teacher and I could not imagine anyone who I work with insisting that they are a superhero at any time, but especially now with everything that is happening now with this pandemic.

The healthcare workers and first responders are the ones who deserve the hero title right now, and frankly, they always do.

Also:

Quote:
Meanwhile I'm the one that is home all day with my 5 year old while he is crying or throwing pencils across the room because he doesn't want to work. I just spent the past 2 hours this morning getting him to focus on work that should take no more than 20 minutes. I have not been able to do any of my own work during this time.
Multiply that one child by 20, and that's a snapshot of a classroom. We're not superheroes, but our job isn't menial either. Hope we can agree on that.

Quote:
The education of a child should be a cooperative effort between the teacher, parent, and student. If you have an unwilling learner, the student won't learn. If you have an unwilling teacher, the student won't learn. If you have an unwilling parent, the student may still learn but it makes it harder if what goes on at home is not supportive of the student's education. Then you have the school board, school district/administration, that provides the support network. All of the pieces together make up the educational culture of the district, and the parents are an essential part of that.

I'm a little bit lost on the government middleman, refunding of money, and alternative service providers. If you are sending a child to a school and the services that you are receiving overall are not up to the educational standards of the district, then you should be reaching out to the administration and the board. If you are not receiving services from an individual teacher or teachers that are up to the educational standards of the district, then you should contact the teacher and if that doesn't resolve it, go up the chain of command.

The only time that you should not have a say in your child's education is if you approach the faculty/admin/board with ridiculous requests for outrageous privileges or considerations for your child. Understand that it does happen on occasion. There are times when parents will come in requesting very special considerations for their child that may be outside the realm of possibility when accounting for all of the other students in the building, as well as any limitations on other resources (whether they are financial, staff, administrative, etc.).

Quote:
for some reason people think that if the government acts as a middleman between you and your service provider now everyone gets to have an opinion and you dont have any say in your services.
I'm wondering what you mean by the bolded above? How can you not have any say in your services and, at the same time, not be part of the everybody who has an opinion? I'm not trying to be obtuse, I'm genuinely wondering-because it sounds like you are frustrated with some aspect of your child's education.

You, as a parent, absolutely have a say in your services, but understand that right now we (teachers, parents and students) are all doing our best to adjust to a very trying and unprecedented time. Things are different now, but the districts' standards are not relaxing for the teachers. If anything, we've been told to make sure that all of our teaching remains up to standards, but at the same time to take into account that we aren't aware of what is happening at home with connectivity, etc.

Despite the fact that the buildings are closed right now, no school district that is at least marginally functional is going to blow off the collective responsibility of its faculty educating the student body, by whatever means that we currently have.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
I'm a little bit lost on the government middleman, refunding of money, and alternative service providers. If you are sending a child to a school and the services that you are receiving overall are not up to the educational standards of the district, then you should be reaching out to the administration and the board.
what if the district doesnt want to open the school and you can find a private school that is open and teaching? why shouldnt you get your money back to spend there? you seem completely oblivious to the concept that we are customers of the school and deserve to get the expected education or we deserve a refund to spend the money elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post

I'm wondering what you mean by the bolded above? How can you not have any say in your services and, at the same time, not be part of the everybody who has an opinion? I'm not trying to be obtuse, I'm genuinely wondering-because it sounds like you are frustrated with some aspect of your child's education.
other people shouldnt have an opinion on whether or not i should be getting services. we pay for the education along with the childcare that comes with it. we have every right to expect it no matter what someone's opinion is on whether or not childcare is required or not. for example, i send my children to school. schools close and offer education online instead. i complain that i need to be able to go to work and send my children to an in-person school. someone else says "its not a daycare." that person's opinion should be completely meaningless. if the school isnt willing to provide the service i have come to expect, then it should refund me the money so i can find some place that will.

i think you are somewhat shocked by the notion that we deserve a choice in where to send our children that means taking our money out of the public system if that is our wish. an attitude that completely shocks me.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
other people shouldnt have an opinion on whether or not i should be getting services. we pay for the education along with the childcare that comes with it. we have every right to expect it no matter what someone's opinion is on whether or not childcare is required or not. for example, i send my children to school. schools close and offer education online instead. i complain that i need to be able to go to work and send my children to an in-person school. someone else says "its not a daycare." that person's opinion should be completely meaningless. if the school isnt willing to provide the service i have come to expect, then it should refund me the money so i can find some place that will.

i think you are somewhat shocked by the notion that we deserve a choice in where to send our children that means taking our money out of the public system if that is our wish. an attitude that completely shocks me.
I get what your're trying to say, but how can that work when public schools are subsidized by property taxes? If you choose to send your kids to private school that is your choice and your right, but nobody is going to refund the school portion of your tax bill. That's like saying you didn't need to call the fire department this year so you want that portion of your taxes refunded too. The only way your plan would work is if the entire education system was privatized. Maybe that would be a good thing but it's never going to happen in any of our lifetimes.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I get what your're trying to say, but how can that work when public schools are subsidized by property taxes? If you choose to send your kids to private school that is your choice and your right, but nobody is going to refund the school portion of your tax bill. That's like saying you didn't need to call the fire department this year so you want that portion of your taxes refunded too. The only way your plan would work is if the entire education system was privatized. Maybe that would be a good thing but it's never going to happen in any of our lifetimes.
that isnt really the same thing. i understand there is a complication in that much of the school system is funded by non-users. but maybe that doesnt even have to be a complication. why cant i just get the money the school spends per student to use anywhere i want? what is the difference? if i pull my kid out, they dont need that many in the public school because they arent educating the student. why is that hard to make work? you dont have to privatize the whole school system. you would only end up that way if everyone chose to take their money elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: