Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 12:10 PM

332 posts, read 173,851 times

Advertisements

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/...he-summer.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 02:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
sure, a group that has lost nothing wishes to maintain that situation. am i wrong, have they lost something?

im not an opposing person to teachers but im not sure why their opinion should matter here. im also not saying that the schools should open, at this point they may as well close the rest of the year. i just think its kind of silly for them to give their opinion as if they have more weight than anyone else in this decision.

Old 04-29-2020, 03:30 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
sure, a group that has lost nothing wishes to maintain that situation. am i wrong, have they lost something?

im not an opposing person to teachers but im not sure why their opinion should matter here. im also not saying that the schools should open, at this point they may as well close the rest of the year. i just think its kind of silly for them to give their opinion as if they have more weight than anyone else in this decision.
One of our teachers died early on in this, shortly after the schools closed, and several kids in his class were sick during that time period. So I think their opinion should matter. I’m not saying it should be the only consideration, but it should be one of them. It’s not like they are on vacation. They are still teaching classes, at least in my school district. And we are constantly getting emails from them about our children’s progress, which we never got when they were physically in the classroom.

If some school systems are not keeping up, like ours is, then maybe it should be based on the individual school systems to decide for themselves, rather than a statewide mandate.

Old 04-29-2020, 03:40 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
One of our teachers died early on in this, shortly after the schools closed, and several kids in his class were sick during that time period. So I think their opinion should matter. I’m not saying it should be the only consideration, but it should be one of them. It’s not like they are on vacation. They are still teaching classes, at least in my school district. And we are constantly getting emails from them about our children’s progress, which we never got when they were physically in the classroom.

If some school systems are not keeping up, like ours is, then maybe it should be based on the individual school systems to decide for themselves, rather than a statewide mandate.
But that doesn't make them any different from any of us. Their opinion matters the same as any of us, not more or less

Well, except that they lose the least from the closing since they still get paid either way

Old 04-29-2020, 04:00 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
But that doesn't make them any different from any of us. Their opinion matters the same as any of us, not more or less

Well, except that they lose the least from the closing since they still get paid either way
Not different than any of us, unless you have a job where you have to be there, like mine. I think if anyone can be as productive from home as they are at the workplace, then maybe they should have a choice. If not, then they cant. One of my good friends is in IT, and has been working extra hard from home in the hopes that his company will decide when this is all over that he can work from home more than his previous 1 day a week. He commutes from NJ to Brooklyn the other 4 days, but he is trying to prove to them that it is unnecessary. Again, it should be decided on a case by case basis, not state wide.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:20 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:

They are still working. I have two people very close to me who are teachers in NJ, they would far prefer to be back in the classroom than be dealing with the muck up remote learning has been. One of them, who teaches special ed, can't get better than 25% percent participation in the online classes she puts so much work into. And has been told by her principal that she cannot fail anybody, even if no work is completed. The other one teaches 1st grade, and showed me a screen shot of the lessons she posted yesterday. I was dizzy by all the various areas she covered.

If teachers don't want to be back in the classroom, it isn't because they are enjoying their time lolling on the sofa watching tv. It's because they don't want to be sacrificed to Covid-19.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:25 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If teachers don't want to be back in the classroom, it isn't because they are enjoying their time lolling on the sofa watching tv. It's because they don't want to be sacrificed to Covid-19.
And, anytime that "Captain"--or anyone else--wants to avail himself/herself of what they assume to be an easy and lucrative gig, they can certainly apply for one of those positions.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:

why does their opinion not count more if this is their job. one month of learning is not going to be make or break. Yes the online is not the same but is it worth risking lives to be in the classroom.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:44 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
I cannot read link, but if they still getting paid then this is just extended summer break for them.

Its just too bad they cant leave for somewhere warmer.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
They are still working. I have two people very close to me who are teachers in NJ, they would far prefer to be back in the classroom than be dealing with the muck up remote learning has been. One of them, who teaches special ed, can't get better than 25% percent participation in the online classes she puts so much work into. And has been told by her principal that she cannot fail anybody, even if no work is completed. The other one teaches 1st grade, and showed me a screen shot of the lessons she posted yesterday. I was dizzy by all the various areas she covered.

50 teachers died in NYC. teachers need to be safe and allowed to work from home. a month of learning at the end of the year will yield little to no long term benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: