Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 07:43 AM

11 posts, read 10,766 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm hoping to get some ideas for an affordable, countrylike place to live in southern NJ. I'm also open to eastern PA, too. I'm a single woman in her early 40s currently living in Ocean County. I'd like to move someplace that's more affordable and also away from the shore. Ideally, I'd like to rent a small, single family home for a year or so, and then buy something once I've settled on an area. I'd like to try and keep my budget around $1300 a month. I'd like to live in a place with some country charm with maybe some deer and rabbits lurking about. As someone who grew up in cities, I still get excited when I see stuff like that. I like being outdoors, so if there are parks or at least some pretty places to walk, that would be nice. I'd like to not be right on top of my neighbors, like in an attached house, but don't want anything too remote either, since it will just be me. If I could be within a 10 or 15 minute drive to the store, that would be great. I'm not looking for anything trendy or upscale on my budget, just a safe, affordable neighborhood with some country flair. Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 09:21 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
You didn't say where you work, because the commute time would matter. Assuming you work from home or otherwise don't have to commute every day, I think parts of Salem or Cumberland County would fit your description. In Salem County, Elmer and Upper Pittsgrove Township come to mind. There are some very rural parts of those towns, and they are near Parvin State Park. In Cumberland County, I was thinking may be Deerfield, which is close to Route 55. In Gloucester County, parts of Franklin Township/Franklinville and Newfield are still pretty rural, and also near Route 55.

You could also look at Atlantic County; much of the county is rural. You could look at towns like Landisville at one end of the county, or Port Republic at the other end. Or towns like Folsom, which still has a lot of farms. Hammonton also has a lot of farms and a nice downtown. Since you are in Ocean County, don't overlook Burlington County. I am not as familiar with Burlington County, so specific towns don't come to mind. But there are large sections of Burlington County that are rural and/or Pinelands.

If you post more specific "wants", people can give you more focused places to start looking. Also, you can post in the Southern NJ/Philadelphia Suburbs sub-forum of NJ, rather than the general NJ forum.

Old 05-10-2020, 11:44 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Yes I agree with much of above. I commuter from Gloucester county to Salem County and the whole ride was farms abc country. Elmer is very cute and Woodstown even more so. Swedesboro also. I also happen to live Hammonton, which has a thriving and old fashioned downtown as well as beautiful farmland and homes but is low COL.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:47 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,341,370 times
I'll add Atco, Tansboro, and West Atco. Primary shopping - ShopRite, Home Depot, Walmart - are in West Berlin which isn't far away.

Old 05-10-2020, 04:38 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Delaware?

Old 05-11-2020, 10:22 AM

Thank you very much for all of the suggestions. Having lived most of my life in northern NJ, I'm not too familiar with this part of the state. I'm glad to hear I have options within my budget.

Aside from what I mentioned above, I am able to work remotely, so being close to any particular road is not a priority. I would rather not have to drive on a very busy highway, in order to get to the store. I guess I've gotten used to the roads being less crowded, and I do like that. Other than that, it would be nice to live in a friendly community and, I guess, having a nice library within driving distance would be a plus in my book.

To the person who mentioned Delaware, I would definitely be open to it, but don't know much about the state at all.

Thank you again.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:42 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
I always loved the Tabernacle/Shamong area, but that's a little pricier.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:53 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I always loved the Tabernacle/Shamong area, but that's a little pricier.
Usually because the properties are, were, huge. They were farms. Land has been sold in small chunks for years, decades.

You've been to Nixon's General Store or the Village Pub? Of course you have.

Last edited by Gerania; 05-12-2020 at 01:23 AM..

Old 05-12-2020, 05:50 AM

Hello. Thank you again for all of the suggestions. I've been doing research on some of the areas mentioned. I came across a thread on this site where someone was talking about Salem County. They mentioned that there was only one Target or Walmart in the northern part of the county as well as only one library. I'm beginning to wonder if this part of the state (including Cumberland and Gloucester) are maybe a little too rural for me. Are there any places that I should exclude from my list, assuming I'd like a Shoprite, Target or Walmart, a library within a 10 minute drive? A lot of these towns look really beautiful online. I just don't know how practical something too remote would be for me. Thanks again.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:11 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle15 View Post
Thank you very much for all of the suggestions. Having lived most of my life in northern NJ, I'm not too familiar with this part of the state. I'm glad to hear I have options within my budget.

Aside from what I mentioned above, I am able to work remotely, so being close to any particular road is not a priority. I would rather not have to drive on a very busy highway, in order to get to the store. I guess I've gotten used to the roads being less crowded, and I do like that. Other than that, it would be nice to live in a friendly community and, I guess, having a nice library within driving distance would be a plus in my book.

To the person who mentioned Delaware, I would definitely be open to it, but don't know much about the state at all.

Thank you again.
much cheaper than Jersey, you should consider it. Depends what your work situation looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey