Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 07:50 AM

3 posts, read 2,342 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for towns in NJ to move to where the commute to Nassau County Long Island isn't completely awful.

Other things I'm looking for are good schools, stay at home moms, & down to earth people.

Can make our budget work anywhere just may not get everything we want in some locations.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 09:49 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Other forum members might have different opinions, but--IMHO--your criteria would result in a minimum 2 hour commute each way, every day. When it snows, that could easily grow to 3 hours. I would consider that to be completely awful, but you might feel differently.

Would that long a commute be acceptable to you?

Old 05-18-2020, 09:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
there is no good commute to long island from nj

Old 05-18-2020, 10:21 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,753,453 times
Is there a reason why you are looking at NJ in this situation and not on Long Island itself? Aside from the time on the commute, those tolls will add up as well.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:07 AM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRG312 View Post
I'm looking for towns in NJ to move to where the commute to Nassau County Long Island isn't completely awful.

Other things I'm looking for are good schools, stay at home moms, & down to earth people.

Can make our budget work anywhere just may not get everything we want in some locations.

Any suggestions?
I don't think there is such a thing. Perhaps you meant to word it "where the awfulness of a commute to Nassau Country is less awful than other places"? This would likely mean Perth Amboy, where the Outerbridge Crossing takes you to Staten Island, or Elizabeth, where the Goethals takes you to Staten Island. Both still require a brain-numbing, crawling commute over Staten Island and through Brooklyn (and possibly Queens depending upon your destination), but you have less of Jersey to get through because you live right in the bridge towns.

Maybe also Bayonne, but I think that might be a tiny bit more awful.

And I'm not too sure you'll find good schools in those places.

You'll find SAHMs and down-to-earth people as well as those who don't fit those descriptions in every town, so that's not a concern.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:12 AM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Other forum members might have different opinions, but--IMHO--your criteria would result in a minimum 2 hour commute each way, every day. When it snows, that could easily grow to 3 hours. I would consider that to be completely awful, but you might feel differently.

Would that long a commute be acceptable to you?

I'm about half an hour from the OBX, and it took me two solid hours at least to get to Boro Park when I was working there. Of course, some of that was sitting in traffic in the Brooklyn streets after I got off 278, where it took 14 minutes to travel 2 miles, but this guy has to go farther. Even knocking off that first half hour by living near one of the bridges, it's at least 2 hours.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:16 AM

even if you live in NJ in a place closer to the goethels or obx, the traffic generally moves a lot slower in those areas. im further but i typically fly to SI on the GSP or TPK. moving to a town in NJ but 20 miles closer to brooklyn typically netted little to no time savings. if OP cant avoid working in LI, i recommend finding a place to live on LI.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 05-18-2020 at 11:34 AM..

Old 05-18-2020, 11:23 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think there is such a thing. Perhaps you meant to word it "where the awfulness of a commute to Nassau Country is less awful than other places"? This would likely mean Perth Amboy, where the Outerbridge Crossing takes you to Staten Island, or Elizabeth, where the Goethals takes you to Staten Island. Both still require a brain-numbing, crawling commute over Staten Island and through Brooklyn (and possibly Queens depending upon your destination), but you have less of Jersey to get through because you live right in the bridge towns.

Maybe also Bayonne, but I think that might be a tiny bit more awful.

And I'm not too sure you'll find good schools in those places.
+1
The OP would have to look further-afield--in the suburbs--if he wants good schools.
And, of course, that would make the commute significantly longer.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:36 AM

MQ did you try to quote me and ended up editing my post? i went back and found a bolded portion and an extra sentence in the bottom and i was confused to what happened.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:26 PM

10,479 posts, read 6,991,011 times
Maybe Fort Lee but it sounds like daily misery to do that commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey