U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 08:53 PM

1,508 posts, read 774,180 times

Advertisements

My favorite county is Morris County. I lived in the same house my whole life, but ever since I got my driver's license, I realized that Morris County would be my favorite.

I never drive outside of Morris County other than going to the Willowbrook Mall in Wayne (Passaic County) or going to Livingston Mall or Short Hills Mall (Essex County malls) and a CVS and Walgreens in Livingston and Roseland.

Hands down to Morris County due to its pros:

1. Ethnic dining options and diners.

2. Park options ranging from tiny baseball field sized parks, small parks with walking paths, all the way up to large hiking areas with some nice scenery.

3. Each town has its own vibe or culture.
-You have southeastern Morris County towns like Morristown and the towns east of it like Madison or Chatham (maybe Florham Park has a slight Madison-like culture although it is a very cookie cutter town) and they have a nice culture with quaint walkable downtowns.
-You have northeastern Morris County towns like Montville and Boonton are nice and offer parks and hiking.
- Parsippany and Morris Plains are good town, but I won't get into that since there is not too much about them.
- Various "redneck" vibes west of Parsippany.
- Dover having its Puerto Rican businesses.

4. Rockaway Mall

5. Roads are easier to drive on that other parts of the state. Anywhere in NJ I drive outside of Morris County seems to be a scary place to drive. At least I don't have to go on the deadly Garden State Parkway on a daily basis like most people from Bergen County.

6. Traffic is not notorious like anywhere else in the state. The worst typical Morris County Traffic is anywhere in the Morris Plains area, but the NJ is usually not known for that thankfully. Morris County traffic would be 5x better if we built overpasses over roads like Route 10 or Route 46.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 09:27 PM

29,118 posts, read 28,147,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I find Salem is the most slept on county. Very beautiful,and it is diverse, unlike Hunterdon and Warren counties.
Salem County is 75% white and 13% black. I don't consider that diverse.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Burlington County is my favorite county by far. Second would be Cumberland County, and third Salem.
That's my list.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:40 PM

1,045 posts, read 960,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Salem County is 75% white and 13% black. I don't consider that diverse.
Compared to Hunterdon and Warren it is. They are both north of 90% white.

I don’t see the appeal of Salem County. It’s just flat farmland and marshy/swampy areas along Delaware Bay and Delaware River. The towns are decaying and run down if not straight up dumps. Only Woodstown looks like it has any kind of life in it.

At least Hunterdon and Warren have more rolling hills in their farmland. It is more scenic, and you have the Delaware Water Gap areas like Mount Tammany in Warren, and cute towns along the river and Clinton in Hunterdon. Or if you want more scenic rural in South Jersey, you go to the Pine Barrens. I find that much more beautiful than flat farmland. And you can actually do recreational activities there. The portions in Shamong and Hammonton are the best.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Compared to Hunterdon and Warren it is. They are both north of 90% white.

I don’t see the appeal of Salem County. It’s just flat farmland and marshy/swampy areas along Delaware Bay and Delaware River. The towns are decaying and run down if not straight up dumps. Only Woodstown looks like it has any kind of life in it.

At least Hunterdon and Warren have more rolling hills in their farmland. It is more scenic, and you have the Delaware Water Gap areas like Mount Tammany in Warren, and cute towns along the river and Clinton in Hunterdon. Or if you want more scenic rural in South Jersey, you go to the Pine Barrens. I find that much more beautiful than flat farmland. And you can actually do recreational activities there. The portions in Shamong and Hammonton are the best.
I found a yellow fever death family buried in the Supawna Meadows National Wildlife Wildlife refuge. That was interesting to me. A friend told me where to find a small, overgrown, black Civil War cemetery in the woods. Mayo's Half Way on Route 72 was named that for a reason. Over 100 years ago there was a very small town in what is now the Greenwood Wildlife Management area called Halfway. I've volunteered to count Pine Barrens rare plants. If you look at my profile, you will see a rare flower. I was wearing hip-waders and almost fell.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:22 PM

74 posts, read 50,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Princeton is like the thinking man's New Brunswick for college kids. Yes New Brunswick is dicey on one end, but you have no reason to go to that side of town.

Somerville is OK, but pales in comparison in terms of things to do.

And I just don't like Red Bank.
Why don't you like Red Bank . Somerville and Red Bank are way more desirable than New Brunswick. The only redeeming thing in the New Brunswick region would be if one lived in one of the other 'Brunwicks' and or in Highland Park. But New Brunswick proper, while nice to visit, is not a necessarily good place to live (take it from this recent Rutgers alumnus).

Old 05-25-2020, 10:50 AM

809 posts, read 697,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hithere_imbored View Post
Why don't you like Red Bank . Somerville and Red Bank are way more desirable than New Brunswick. The only redeeming thing in the New Brunswick region would be if one lived in one of the other 'Brunwicks' and or in Highland Park. But New Brunswick proper, while nice to visit, is not a necessarily good place to live (take it from this recent Rutgers alumnus).
Neither held a candle to New Brunswick from my experience. Granted I have not lived in NJ now for more than 5 years. New Brunswick after all is a destination town with a major university in it. I have seen huge household name concerts at the State Theatre, including Steve Winwood.

Red Bank and Somerville lack any higher ed institutions, community colleges do not really count. I went to Brookdale, and ventured into Red Bank from there on occasion whenever I felt I needed a break from studying. I'd park the car and get out, walk around, stop in a few stores, get some coffee at the Wawa. But I was never there unless I had business being in the area. The people there too seemed to all either have chips on their shoulders, sticks up their butts or think their crap didn't stink. I guess it's just the feel of a place. New Brunswick on the other hand was always much more of a destination town and I had mostly good experiences there when I was out at night, apart from dealing with their police on occasion, and Red Bank's police were also problematic too. And for the elements, you had some of the aforementioned in New Brunswick too, but a lot more down to earth ordinary folks too. This is just my experience. Somerville I am more neutral on since I never really spent enough time there, but from the look of it I never thought it was anything special.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:05 AM

16,409 posts, read 19,812,989 times
Quote:
Somerville I am more neutral on since I never really spent enough time there, but from the look of it I never thought it was anything special.
If you haven't been to Somerville for at least 5 years, then you would probably be amazed at the positive changes in their downtown area. The old--mostly tacky--antique stores are mostly gone, and have been replaced by upscale retailers and restaurants. The largest antique store (an old Woolworth's store) was gut-renovated, and is now a nice brew pub. In fact, Somerville became quite a "destination town" for foodies over the past few years, simply because of the concentration of so many good restaurants, some of which are high-end.

Even the downtown housing scene is very different at this point, with some new pricey rentals already built, and a soon-to-be built housing complex on the vacant land that was the town dump several decades ago. In the intervening years, that land returned to nature, and it will be the site of both SFOs and multi-unit housing, all of it within walking distance to the NJ Transit RR station.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:19 AM

3,376 posts, read 13,326,335 times
Sarasota County. Oh wait, that's in Florida.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:52 PM

74 posts, read 50,256 times
Quote:
Neither held a candle to New Brunswick from my experience. Granted I have not lived in NJ now for more than 5 years. New Brunswick after all is a destination town with a major university in it. I have seen huge household name concerts at the State Theatre, including Steve Winwood.

Red Bank and Somerville lack any higher ed institutions, community colleges do not really count. I went to Brookdale, and ventured into Red Bank from there on occasion whenever I felt I needed a break from studying. I'd park the car and get out, walk around, stop in a few stores, get some coffee at the Wawa. But I was never there unless I had business being in the area. The people there too seemed to all either have chips on their shoulders, sticks up their butts or think their crap didn't stink. I guess it's just the feel of a place. New Brunswick on the other hand was always much more of a destination town and I had mostly good experiences there when I was out at night, apart from dealing with their police on occasion, and Red Bank's police were also problematic too. And for the elements, you had some of the aforementioned in New Brunswick too, but a lot more down to earth ordinary folks too. This is just my experience. Somerville I am more neutral on since I never really spent enough time there, but from the look of it I never thought it was anything special.
Where are you getting this notion notion from of Red Bank and Somerville not being 'destination towns'? If anything, Red Bank/Somerville are to Monmouth/Somerset counties as to what New Brunswick is to Middlesex county; acting as the center of nightlife, eateries, and commerce for their respected counties.

All I am saying, speaking as a Rutgers alumnus (whom graduated pretty recently btw), is that New Brunswick, while nice to visit, is not a desirable place to live. It's half massively gentrified (aka, where most of the college kids live in overpriced apartment complexes) and half ghetto. Whereas Somerville and Red Bank have actually cleaned up very well in the last 5-10 years, much of that unfortunately cannot be said of the same in regards to New Brunswick. I was in Somerville and Red Bank a few times last summer, and quite frankly these would be the places that I would rather visit. If it weren't for the fact that New Brunswick is a 'college town', I feel like most other people in NJ would opt for Red Bank and Somerville as well. And if one were to genuinely consider moving to one of these three towns, then I would not, in good faith, recommend New Brunswick out of the three options. That still would've been the case even 10-15 years ago.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but if I'm not mistaken you haven't been in New Jersey in years, correct? Perhaps the next time you're in the Garden State, you should venture out into all three of these towns, so that you could get a more accurate picture of what they're actually like now. Otherwise, the information that you're currently providing isn't really accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey