Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2020, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 748 times

Advertisements

We're planning on moving from Highlands NJ to Venice Florida. Planning on renting a moving van and towing a vehicle on a car carrier, all wheels off the ground.

I don't have a problem driving, I use to drive CDL and think this shouldn't be a big challenge.

What I like to know is the best route besides 95 for the least amount of traffic. Are there better routes?

DO we have to stop at the scales? I know that at the Ga /Fla border there is an agricultural check that all trucks must stop, whether commercial or personal vehicle.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Is it reasonable to expect to be able to drive straight through or is a stop necessary? And if a stop should be made where is a good place to stop to park a van towing a car?

We're planning on this at the end of June, hopefully, there won't be a problem with the pandemic and having to self contain!

Last question, which rental company is best to use, Budget, U-Haul or Penske?

Thank you

Last edited by Brmgld6qrl; 05-19-2020 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 10:00 PM

32,844 posts, read 36,146,359 times
I think that you should post this in General Moving Issues.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:01 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,541,217 times
Theres also an I-95 website with forums I havent been on in about a year. Good info there.
From my memory either I-95, which goes toll free into PA vs the NJ Pike, or the other main way is I-81 through Virginia, most of that is toll free.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:07 PM

13,979 posts, read 25,887,117 times
We've made the drive between Atlanta and NJ many times. I-81 is usually a much nicer ride than 95, but I have no idea of the current traffic conditions in the DC area we are always trying to avoid. I-81 is a bit longer, but I wouldn't want to do either route without stopping for the night along the way. And be aware that if you opt for I-81, some of the hills on I-77 can be intimidating if you're pulling a trailer.

This is a previous discussion about the route:
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ate-route.html

Old 05-22-2020, 05:53 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,600,331 times
We travel frequently between NJ and Sarasota Fl. My suggestion if possible is to leave early on a saturday and take 95 all the way down. If your using a GPS it may route you around DC and Richmond. When you hit Florida, directions and GPS will probably have you take the loop around Jacksonville onto 10 west. Once on 10 west it will probably say to get on 301 south. That's where I deviate. I stay on 10 to 75 south. 301 is shorter in miles but it's a local road with some speed traps. If you're using a GPS when you get on 10 and pass the 301 exit, it will keep trying to get you back over to 301 (at least my GPS does) after you're on 10 for a while, the GPS will recalculate and take you to 75 and your destination. If my wife is with me on the trip, we stop in Santee SC overnite. If I'm driving alone, I drive until I get into Georgia, stop in a rest area and get a few hours sleep then continue on to Sarasota. Good luck on your trip and just remember when in Virginia 70mph means 70mph.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:33 AM

18,579 posts, read 10,579,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
We travel frequently between NJ and Sarasota Fl. My suggestion if possible is to leave early on a saturday and take 95 all the way down. If your using a GPS it may route you around DC and Richmond. When you hit Florida, directions and GPS will probably have you take the loop around Jacksonville onto 10 west. Once on 10 west it will probably say to get on 301 south. That's where I deviate. I stay on 10 to 75 south. 301 is shorter in miles but it's a local road with some speed traps. If you're using a GPS when you get on 10 and pass the 301 exit, it will keep trying to get you back over to 301 (at least my GPS does) after you're on 10 for a while, the GPS will recalculate and take you to 75 and your destination. If my wife is with me on the trip, we stop in Santee SC overnite. If I'm driving alone, I drive until I get into Georgia, stop in a rest area and get a few hours sleep then continue on to Sarasota. Good luck on your trip and just remember when in Virginia 70mph means 70mph.
This but may I add the area outside of DC in Northern VA is a mess as is the area around Richmond . Some take the 301 to 95 and bypass DC all together but as was stated it's a local road and there are lights and local Police .As for Richmond I would take the 295 by pass around it ,sometimes it's actually quicker.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:49 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,600,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
This but may I add the area outside of DC in Northern VA is a mess as is the area around Richmond . Some take the 301 to 95 and bypass DC all together but as was stated it's a local road and there are lights and local Police .As for Richmond I would take the 295 by pass around it ,sometimes it's actually quicker.
I always take 295 around Richmond. I know a lot of people do take 301 to bypass D.C. I've never tried it. I always try to plan my trip to be around D.C. very early in the a.m. on a weekend. When driving alone I leave Jersey at 2 am on saturday or sunday. Hit D.C. around 6 and there's never an issue unless there's an accident or construction.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:43 AM

112 posts, read 183,581 times
This time last year I drove a 20" U-Haul truck from Englewood, FL to NJ, twice, I never stopped at any of the inspections with no resulting actions. I love the 301 route....mostly, nice uncongested highway. The local speed limits are a pain, but I'm not in that much of a hurry anymore. I averaged about 9 MPG so the shorter, at times slower, route seemed to be more gas friendly. Gas for each trip was about $315.00

Southbound around DC is never a problem for me to follow Google Maps directions. Northbound is a whole other story.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey