Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 11:45 AM

10,058 posts, read 6,623,100 times

Advertisements

Memorial Day is to early for the beach season and kick-off for the summer. New Jersey shore season has changed to Memorial Day - Labor Day since after the establishment of Memorial Day Holiday in the 1970s. Although businesses like the traffic of Memorial Day its always a complaint down there that its to cold. Ocean water temperatures are around 50 degrees, outside temperatures down the shore hovering around 55-60 degrees. Then comes Labor Day weekend at the very peak of the best weather and ocean temperature and everything closes down.

The water doesn't begin to warm up until about 6/15 (first week when water temperatures reach 70 degrees) and climaxes through September. It would make complete sense to adjust the summer season from 6/15 - 9/25. The economy of New Jersey, local communities and State would greatly benefit from the adjustment, and the school season could be adjusted by 2 or 3 weeks to reflect this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 12:47 PM

7,163 posts, read 3,973,581 times
You should open - however, make sure you have resident only passes like Long Island

Quote:
The surf’s up, and anger too, on Long Island, where beaches will be banned to New York City residents.

“The misguided actions of the mayor of New York City have put us in quite a predicament here in Nassau County,” Legislator John Ferretti, Jr. told reporters, including CBS2’s Jennifer McLogan, on Tuesday.

“This restriction and this legislation is in response to actions of Mayor Bill de Blasio from the city of New York,” said Nassau County Presiding Officer Richard Nicolello. “There are 8 million residents in the city of New York, and if a small fraction of them come to Nassau County, to our beaches, they will inundate the beaches.”

The mayor defended his decision to keep New York City beaches closed due to safety and spread of the virus.
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/05...l-day-weekend/

I have friends on the Jersey shore who are terrified of New Yorkers invading.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:55 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,092,370 times
I have relatives in Maryland and that state did something similar to what you propose. Kids used to return to school around August 15th. They changed it so that the kids now return to school after Labor Day to give families an extra few weeks to visit the shore and support those businesses.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:06 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,092,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

I have friends on the Jersey shore who are terrified of New Yorkers invading.
This is true even when there is no pandemic going on

Old 05-21-2020, 01:16 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,495,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Memorial Day is to early for the beach season and kick-off for the summer. New Jersey shore season has changed to Memorial Day - Labor Day since after the establishment of Memorial Day Holiday in the 1970s. Although businesses like the traffic of Memorial Day its always a complaint down there that its to cold. Ocean water temperatures are around 50 degrees, outside temperatures down the shore hovering around 55-60 degrees. Then comes Labor Day weekend at the very peak of the best weather and ocean temperature and everything closes down.

The water doesn't begin to warm up until about 6/15 (first week when water temperatures reach 70 degrees) and climaxes through September. It would make complete sense to adjust the summer season from 6/15 - 9/25. The economy of New Jersey, local communities and State would greatly benefit from the adjustment, and the school season could be adjusted by 2 or 3 weeks to reflect this.
its too cold in the beginning and too hard to make it once school starts. not just for the fact that our kids have school work, i believe a lot of the summer businesses lose their college age staff. im not sure what the point would be to make it start later and i dont think we would be able to extend it.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:48 PM

7,163 posts, read 3,973,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its too cold in the beginning and too hard to make it once school starts. not just for the fact that our kids have school work, i believe a lot of the summer businesses lose their college age staff. im not sure what the point would be to make it start later and i dont think we would be able to extend it.
I doubt colleges are opening this fall. It's going to be remote learning for another year. I bet many college students would love to work in the fall.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:50 AM

18,576 posts, read 10,500,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post

You really are bored...................and it's "Decoration Day" been around since 1868 always on May 30th

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day

Old 05-22-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I doubt colleges are opening this fall. It's going to be remote learning for another year. I bet many college students would love to work in the fall.
Many have already said they will open in the fall and have class's.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I have relatives in Maryland and that state did something similar to what you propose. Kids used to return to school around August 15th. They changed it so that the kids now return to school after Labor Day to give families an extra few weeks to visit the shore and support those businesses.
The laws(rules not laws) in Maryland were mostly to help Farmers with their Tobacco crops so the kids could work the fields .Yes the rules (not laws) have changed but it's still up to the counties .

Old 05-22-2020, 10:18 AM

19,924 posts, read 8,819,714 times
Question becomes how many students will opt out of going to college until they can return to a campus to "learn." Colleges courses from your parents house becomes an extension of high school, students don't want that. Expect a lot of sabbaticals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey