Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 01:50 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,604,980 times

Advertisements

It seems another new norm around NJ is the lack of attention behind the wheels these days. Almost daily I go out to run errands I have to honk at someone for not paying attention to the traffic lights or stop signs. I use the 5 sec run, if you don't move. Don't signal and sit at the green too long as a courtesy I honk to get you to pay attention there are others waiting to move along. Just today, had to honk at 2 different cars sitting at the light either fumbling with their phones or just fazed by this pandemic.

The other day, I honked at someone who was at the traffic light exiting a shopping center and he suddenly did a brake check on me for now reason. I followed him for another block and he either intentional or not also sat at the green light for more than 5 secs while other cars behind me started honking too.

Very common each day is someone who is at a right turn lane sitting in front of a red light and doesn't turn even though has the signal on. Usually before the pandemic people would be in a rush to turn, seems like the new norm people no longer in a rush or lost sense of time..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 01:54 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,542,723 times
I don't like to contribute to noise pollution by honking so I usually FLASH my high beams first a few times.
Horn is usually reserved for real klusterf@cxs

Old 05-23-2020, 07:59 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,478,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It seems another new norm around NJ is the lack of attention behind the wheels these days. Almost daily I go out to run errands I have to honk at someone for not paying attention to the traffic lights or stop signs. I use the 5 sec run, if you don't move. Don't signal and sit at the green too long as a courtesy I honk to get you to pay attention there are others waiting to move along. Just today, had to honk at 2 different cars sitting at the light either fumbling with their phones or just fazed by this pandemic.

The other day, I honked at someone who was at the traffic light exiting a shopping center and he suddenly did a brake check on me for now reason. I followed him for another block and he either intentional or not also sat at the green light for more than 5 secs while other cars behind me started honking too.

Very common each day is someone who is at a right turn lane sitting in front of a red light and doesn't turn even though has the signal on. Usually before the pandemic people would be in a rush to turn, seems like the new norm people no longer in a rush or lost sense of time..
During this pandemic, I've noticed that people are not turning right on red and then they sit with their signals on. More people are using their signals now, so thank you to those who started doing so.

I also noticed that some people are breaking No Turn On Red rule at certain light. I guess it makes sense since cops are avoiding human interaction anyways.

I've been going 10 to 15 miles over the limit since cops are not pulling people over. It feels liberating.

And speaking of the horn, I never used my horn in this pandemic except for one woman in Parsippany who left her car in reverse while sitting at a red light (I could have gotten into an accident if she floored her accelerator while in reverse when the light turned green) and she took too long to make the turn after putting her car in drive. One way to get the driver's attention instead of the horn is do what I do. Whenever I leave a big gap in front of me, I closer to the car in front of me when the light turns green and then they get woken up by the movement of my lights (I have day running lights).

Old 05-24-2020, 12:34 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,604,980 times
The plus side is that the highways are emptier and the roads are not congested anymore. But there are lot of just goofy driving on the roads. I have to be careful more since a lot of cars pulling out of intersection without looking.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:51 AM

357 posts, read 124,619 times
Exactly, tonight on my way home someone just straight up ran a red light and almost got me, but I had the reflexes of a cat and saw them from the peripheral. They weren't running a yellow light turning red either; we had the green light for a nice minute, and they felt compelled to run the light on their side, then looked at me confused..

Old 05-24-2020, 06:28 AM

11,318 posts, read 16,634,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
During this pandemic, I've noticed that people are not turning right on red and then they sit with their signals on. More people are using their signals now, so thank you to those who started doing so.

I also noticed that some people are breaking No Turn On Red rule at certain light. I guess it makes sense since cops are avoiding human interaction anyways.

I've been going 10 to 15 miles over the limit since cops are not pulling people over. It feels liberating.

And speaking of the horn, I never used my horn in this pandemic except for one woman in Parsippany who left her car in reverse while sitting at a red light (I could have gotten into an accident if she floored her accelerator while in reverse when the light turned green) and she took too long to make the turn after putting her car in drive. One way to get the driver's attention instead of the horn is do what I do. Whenever I leave a big gap in front of me, I closer to the car in front of me when the light turns green and then they get woken up by the movement of my lights (I have day running lights).
You do realize that right on red is an option, not a law.

From what I've seen over a number of years, that people hardly even slow down on right on red. They turn as if the light is green.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:06 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times
I've noticed that you encounter a lot of older people that just cruise slowly these days.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:00 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,499,568 times
The quality of drivers is not equal from place to place. The incomes and education levels of drivers often are an indication of the quality of a driver.

They don't call Hwy 400 going north out of the Buckhead suburb of Atlanta the 400 Autobahn for no reason. The affluent commuters often running BMW's and Mercedes are running in the 90's early mornings, and they can handle such speeds. Or, the road's gridlock in rush hour.

I recently moved 65 miles. The drivers in the old town are dangerous drivers--slow and oblivious to the other drivers on the road. The new city's drivers are highly educated and high income--and far superior drivers.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:45 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,176,073 times
The horn is a thing in the NY market of NJ (where I used to live), not so much a thing in the Philly market area of NJ.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:27 AM

1,841 posts, read 1,478,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now Justice 81 View Post
Exactly, tonight on my way home someone just straight up ran a red light and almost got me, but I had the reflexes of a cat and saw them from the peripheral. They weren't running a yellow light turning red either; we had the green light for a nice minute, and they felt compelled to run the light on their side, then looked at me confused..
In early April, someone did that in East Hanover at the Troy Road + Ridgedale Avenue intersection. It was some redneck in his pickup truck of course. They always get away with everything. That intersection is visible from the police station. And of course, the police can't ticket people unless it is a triple digit speeding violation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: