Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:11 PM

323 posts, read 2,088,982 times

Advertisements

I'd say Ironbound is the best part of Newark....mind you it's been populated by quite a few Europeans, Portuguese mostly...but they've mostly moved out.
It's still decent but not what it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 11:45 AM

210 posts, read 1,139,257 times
ironbound and south newark

Old 07-08-2008, 11:24 AM

88 posts, read 536,090 times
South Newark?? Hell NOOOOOOOOO. First question...are you white, hispanic, or black? If you are white don't live in Newark. You will deal with reverse-racism throughout your entire stay, from thugs, civilians, and COPS. If you are African-American and don't want to live amongst decay, drugs, and poverty....try certain areas in the Weeqauic Section and certain sections in the Vailsburg area. Either way, you will face a lot of drugs and gangs no matter how nice of an area you are in Newark.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:29 AM

217 posts, read 1,146,785 times
Any where near east orange/irvington/harrison is shi*

but once ur in downtown or near bloomfield/belleville area its alright, not good either.. schools suck all around newark

Old 07-08-2008, 12:13 PM

240 posts, read 580,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY201973 View Post
South Newark?? Hell NOOOOOOOOO. First question...are you white, hispanic, or black? If you are white don't live in Newark. You will deal with reverse-racism throughout your entire stay, from thugs, civilians, and COPS. If you are African-American and don't want to live amongst decay, drugs, and poverty....try certain areas in the Weeqauic Section and certain sections in the Vailsburg area. Either way, you will face a lot of drugs and gangs no matter how nice of an area you are in Newark.
South Newark is the Weequahic Section

Weequahic, Newark, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-08-2008, 02:02 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
and a really big dog or two.
Was thinking of a dog too.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:05 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,057 times
I will be one of the ones to also say that not all of Newark is as bad as the rest. Yes overall Newark is a hard town but there are some areas that are "okay". I am actually working on a LEED Certified Green project in Lincoln Park and the area is not too bad. Yes there are people that like to hang out in the streets, but overall I would not say it is the worst section of Newark. The only people that are moving into Newark are the people that either can not afford much else or believe that Newark is going to become something in the future. My clients for this project are the later of the two and there are plently of them!

Old 07-09-2008, 08:23 PM
jvj

4 posts, read 31,202 times
Default Why I Live In Newark

I live in Newark in the Central Ward in the Society Hill townhouse complex, next to the historic Essex County Courthouse. I moved here 12 years ago to be closer to my nonprofit job in downtown Newark. I absolutely love the location, and have come to know my neighbors as very friendly people. My particular section of this 1100-unit mega-complex is perfect. My honey walks our two little dogs three times a day without fear. The community is becoming more integrated--we see asian, indian, white residents moreso now than we used to. Some are grad students and med interns at NJIT an UMDNJ. Newark is on the upswing--a slow upswing--but it's definitely moving in the right direction. Have you been to the Prudential Arena lately?
Let me just lay it out there: If you generally fear black poor people, you will not like Newark. Yes there is crime--I've seen broken car glass on the street in the past. But we have 24 hour security and nosy neighbors (I'm one of them).
There is so much that Newark has to offer--from the cultural attractions and beautiful civic buildings to the light rail that whisks me to Penn Station Newark in four minutes flat.
I could go on and on. We may need to leave Newark to find a larger townhouse in another town. I'm going to miss the bargain I found here (1300 sq feet for $95K, new construction). I"ll also miss the humane earth-friendly commute--I can often walk to mtgs in the downtown area, and the proximity to NYC and the airport.
I won't miss the occasional sirens from nearby UMDNJ or 3 pm when all the teens adjourn from the nearby high school. But all in all, I think the pros far outweigh the cons.
There seems to be a lot of Newark bashing here. I'd just like to add a different perspective. I have an engraved brick at NJPAC--it reads "Newark, City of Dreams." This is New Jersey's best city--one which we should all share some pride in as it strives to rise above a very checkered past. I'd love to stay, if there were something larger and nicer in the downtown area.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:55 AM

13 posts, read 53,874 times
i agree. Newark is not all that bad. I live in North Newark and have been here for the past 4yrs. Came for school and have not left. Newark has its share of crime but you there are areas that are decent. I would look into the 300 to 400 sections of North Newark. This is the area near Branch Brook park. All in all it is best to come here during the day and look around to see what is available.

Most of the people on here do not live in Newark and cannot give you a true rundown of what goes on in Newark.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:09 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Most of the people on here who say they live in Newark do not live in Newark either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey