Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:12 PM

88 posts, read 536,090 times

Advertisements

Ok parts of WeekWay are ok, if you are black....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 01:14 PM

23 posts, read 57,608 times
Weequahic is not so bad....have a friend down there....is ok..but North Newark is where I live at....and I think is worse than Weequahic..

Old 07-20-2009, 08:32 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,624 times
At least now when there's a violent shooting, the mayor Tweets about it. Geez, come on people, why do you want to put yourself at such a risk by living in that place? Baghdad is probably arguably safer.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:44 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
University Heights and the Ironbound aren't so bad. The north ward also has some nice areas.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:37 PM

380 posts, read 709,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zasie View Post
I live in the Ironbound off of RT21. My daughter goes to South St. I love it my daughter class has 13 students and the teachers are great.. South St offers a various a programs and after school programs.. Before I lived in South Orange and the school system was horrible.
There are some o.k. public schools in Newark but not the one you are touting. South St. School was not one of the best performing schools in Newark last year. And are you actually suggesting that the Newark school system is superior to South Orange's?

Old 07-21-2009, 02:37 AM

284 posts, read 542,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
well I been to the Newark Airport and it seemed quite customer friendly. nah just kidding. Do people mean to say that in a town large as Newark there aren't any nice neighborhoods?
Why do you give your location as Newark if you know nothing about it and apparently do not live here?

Old 07-21-2009, 02:48 AM

284 posts, read 542,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY201973 View Post
Ok parts of WeekWay are ok, if you are black....
It's not spelled weekway and why is that section only ok for blacks and not any other racial group? If a person asked you about Newark Ave in Jersey City would you say it is only ok if you are an Asian Indian? If a poster asked about Perth Amboy would you say it is only ok if he was hispanic? If a poster asked about Far Hills would you say its only ok if they were white?

Old 07-21-2009, 04:16 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Far Hills is not exactly what you would call integrated.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:30 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvj View Post
This is New Jersey's best city--one which we should all share some pride in as it strives to rise above a very checkered past.
Are you serious? NJ's best city? Wow....

Look...you don't have to be from Newark to know what goes on there. When you keep reading about a shooting (3 happened within a span of 6 hrs yesterday or the day before) or some other violent crime happening almost every other day in Newark in the Star Ledger, I think more than 95% of the people will agree with me it is not a place you really want to be. And this is why it gets such a bad rap among most NJ people. Yes shootings and violent crime happen in the suburbs but the frequency of occurrences is far greater in Newark.

That being said I do head into Newark occassionally for lunch at Dickie Dees (best Italian hot dogs!) but I would never hang around there after dark. Branch Brook Park is nice especially when its Cherry Blossom time. I would recommend parts of Newark as being places to visit but not to live there in my opinion.

Food for thought...ever hear of the reality TV show DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency)? There's a reason why they chose to shoot this season in Newark. They'd never run out of crimes here.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:34 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,949,452 times
I was going to say the best part of Newark is it's suburbs, but that's not true anymore either, and I lived and worked in Newark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey