Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 10:42 PM

1,840 posts, read 1,466,830 times

Advertisements

So I have good news ... I may be moving from NJ to CA in a couple of weeks and I have a piggy bank and I do not want to waste time counting coins anymore. I would like to get that change redeemed before I move so I am not leaving stuff behind.

Chase bank will not just let you dump in coins like that. I know that Regal Bank has a machine for that for no fee if you are a Regal Bank customer.

It's not worth life counting all those coins I have, so why not take some of the coins day by day and going to a Coinstar Kiosk and get the money redeemed for a gift card (gift cards do not charge a 10% fee)? Has anyone used one lately?

I plan on bringing some of the money to a Stop And Shop that I know of that doesn't get crowded. I am not going to bring all the heavy money at once, because I don't want to get robbed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 10:53 PM

9,996 posts, read 6,606,718 times
Dont recall seeing one for sometime but TD Bank has a machine thats free last time I was there.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:57 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,437,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
So I have good news ... I may be moving from NJ to CA in a couple of weeks and I have a piggy bank and I do not want to waste time counting coins anymore. I would like to get that change redeemed before I move so I am not leaving stuff behind.

Chase bank will not just let you dump in coins like that. I know that Regal Bank has a machine for that for no fee if you are a Regal Bank customer.

It's not worth life counting all those coins I have, so why not take some of the coins day by day and going to a Coinstar Kiosk and get the money redeemed for a gift card (gift cards do not charge a 10% fee)? Has anyone used one lately?

I plan on bringing some of the money to a Stop And Shop that I know of that doesn't get crowded. I am not going to bring all the heavy money at once, because I don't want to get robbed.
Who’s gonna rob you, the hardcore gangs roaming East Hanover and Parsippany?!?

I last used a Coinstar machine about three years ago and had no problems. However, I’m still mad at the jerk who sued TD Bank, causing them to remove all their Penny Arcade counting machines permanently. I used them regularly, and, honestly, they were so convenient that I really didn’t care if I was shorted a few cents each time. Now we got nuthin’.

Despite our ups and downs in the forum, I sincerely hope that if you do go through with the move, you’ll find the happiness in CA that has eluded you in NJ, and that you’ll stay in the NJ forum to keep us posted on your journey.

Just remember... living on your own after living your whole life with parents ain’t so easy...

Old 06-04-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Who’s gonna rob you, the hardcore gangs roaming East Hanover and Parsippany?!?

I last used a Coinstar machine about three years ago and had no problems. However, I’m still mad at the jerk who sued TD Bank, causing them to remove all their Penny Arcade counting machines permanently. I used them regularly, and, honestly, they were so convenient that I really didn’t care if I was shorted a few cents each time. Now we got nuthin’.

Despite our ups and downs in the forum, I sincerely hope that if you do go through with the move, you’ll find the happiness in CA that has eluded you in NJ, and that you’ll stay in the NJ forum to keep us posted on your journey.

Just remember... living on your own after living your whole life with parents ain’t so easy...
Maybe the "peaceful" protestors from Parsippany would rob me jk lol.

I did read an article just now that TD Bank did remove their coin machines and I assume they would have charged a fee to non-TD customers anyway.

I'm not really living on my own, I am actually moving into my grandparents' house making things a lot easier. But anyways, I can't believe I am going through this moment where I am finally shocking the NJ C-D forum members. Oh boy !

Old 06-05-2020, 10:43 AM

1,811 posts, read 657,652 times
One way to get rid of change without a Coinstar fee is using the self kiosks at Wal-mart, Target or most supermarkets, purchasing some items you need, and paying by Cash and inserting coins exclusively. I mean you will take awhile and if the store is busy, the customers behind you might get annoyed that you are paying entirely in change

Old 06-05-2020, 11:13 AM

88,042 posts, read 83,879,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Dont recall seeing one for sometime but TD Bank has a machine thats free last time I was there.
You must not have been in a TD Bank for a few years. They got rid of all their machines after somebody sued them for short-changing.

Old 06-05-2020, 05:06 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,087,701 times
Well you're in luck. According to the Coinstar website, Food Town and Shop Rite in Parsippany both have Coinstar machines.

https://coinstar.com/findakiosk?Sear...hAddress=07034

Old 06-05-2020, 05:19 PM

4,061 posts, read 4,103,678 times
Quote:
No longer there. I think TD got sued and they removed the machine.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Well you're in luck. According to the Coinstar website, Food Town and Shop Rite in Parsippany both have Coinstar machines.

https://coinstar.com/findakiosk?Sear...hAddress=07034
I went to the Coinstar in the Stop And Shop in Morris Plains. There are no crowds at that store and it is a spacious store so I went there so I don't feel scared about people crowding around me. Nobody tried to rob me. Great experience.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 766 times
YES TD bank and its free coin star takes like 13% or something absurd!!!!

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey